It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

mary3339 HB User
Question 7 weeks without diagnosis, my mother is in a coma.

i posted this a week ago, my mom is in a comatos state and the doctors dont know why. she is 49 yrs old and im going crazy, im am 23 and the doctors want me to sign a do not resusatate form without knowing whats her condition is.she has been in the icu for 7 wks now. they have tested her for several different things, with all negatives. they want to do a brain biopsy as a last resort. they want to test the ''white matter" which is more dangerous from what i know.im sooooo despratly helpless please if anyone has info please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she had been diagnoste with mental illness when she was 23 but they have rulled out neuroleptic malignat syndrome.they have tested her for west nile virus, meninghitis, styx syndrome, varius viruses. they did determine that she has signs of ms, although it is not ms, she has brain damage, swelling, of an unknown origin, fever of an uknown origin, and crazy other symptoms. please help

Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: 7 wks and counting, unknown diagnosis,my mothers is in acoma. they dont know why

Oh Mary, what an impossible situation you are in! I am truly sorry that you are going through this with your mother. What really hurts, is that I am close to your mother's age, and I have a son 25, and another 15. I cannot imagine how something like this would terrify them, and it is a mother's worst fear.

Is your dad in the picture, or other family members to support you during this difficult time? I certainly hope so, sweetheart...I feel so badly for you. When did this issue of signing off come up? This is not a decision you should make alone, without proper counseling and alternative options discussed openly by someone who has some training in such dilemmas.

Have you spoken to a social worker at the hospital? One should be made available to you. Does your mother have insurance benefits? Do you have a power of attorney to make medical decisions for her?

I am so sorry...I am here if there is anything I can do to help you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

willowthewisp HB Userwillowthewisp HB User
Re: 7 wks and counting, unknown diagnosis,my mothers is in acoma. they dont know why

I can' help you i'm afraid, but i just wanted to tell you i am saying a prayer for both your mom and you, and send you both big hugs and much love, try to keep strong.

Willow.

Closed Thread