It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
(female)

cutedolly HB User
information in which whole body gets paralysed

i dont know exactly the name of disease. my relative has diesease. he is 16yrs old .at the age of 8 his one leg was not responding or simply say working slowly and slowly when his parents got a check up the doctors said slowly and slowly his whole body will be paralysed only face will remain unaffected and one time will come i.e between 10-20yrs that he will not able to do anything.the doctors say it is incurable. what is this disease? what are its symptoms? why it occur only in male child? why it can't be cured?

Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
(female)

aleja71291 HB User
Re: information in which whole body gets paralysed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutedolly View Post
i dont know exactly the name of disease. my relative has diesease. he is 16yrs old .at the age of 8 his one leg was not responding or simply say working slowly and slowly when his parents got a check up the doctors said slowly and slowly his whole body will be paralysed only face will remain unaffected and one time will come i.e between 10-20yrs that he will not able to do anything.the doctors say it is incurable. what is this disease? what are its symptoms? why it occur only in male child? why it can't be cured?
Hi, the way you discribe it, sounds like you are talking about Duchenne muscular dystrophy, or Becker muscular dystrophy. Both diseases are caused by the absence or deficiency of a protein called dinein, causing the muscle to self destroy with contraction. the symptoms are progressive muscle weakness and paralysis. In the final stages it can cause repeated lung infections that generally become the cause of death of these patients. It only occurs in male children because itīs an X-linked genetic disorder, which means that the gene that causes it is located in the x chromosome. Women have 2 x chromosome, but men have only one, so, if that only chromosome has the gene, the child will present the disease. It cant be cured because itīs a genetic disorder, but recently a genetic therapy has been developed for Duchenneīs muscular dystrophy, but itīs not a cure, it just make the disease progress slower.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread