It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2001, 10:01 PM   #1

personal HB User
Lightbulb morphia

8-01
I have morphia; a rare skin disorder. I need to know if others have it, what they are doing about it, any cures? Has anyone successfully used plastic surgery? My morphia is mostly on my legs and feet. I do have some on my chest, hips, stomach, and arms.
Any information on treatments, cures, facts, causes, solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
desperate person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 02:31 PM   #2

bbassett HB User
Re: morphia

Dear Desperate Person,

A couple of weeks ago my friend's daughter asked me to look at something on her stomach (right below her waist),,,it was a thickened portion of skin. I asked her how long she had this and she replied "about a year" and said it was now starting to hurt her. I encouraged her to go to the Dr. which she did on Monday and he did a biopsy for which she has heard nothing yet. He told her he thought she had Morphia, a rare skin disease and a form of scleroderma. We won't anything for sure for a few days but he was quite sure that's what it is. I have been searching all morning and have been unable to find any info on this disease.

I have no idea how bad this can get as I've never heard of it before - your posting is the first I've even seen the word.

Can you please give me any info you have on this disease,,,,like how long you have had it, how did it start and how is it progressing. Are you on any medication?

We live very near the Mayo Clinic and I'm hoping that she will get a second opinion although the clinic she went to in La Crosse, WI is a very good health facility also.

I'm sorry you have this disease and I wish you the best in finding more information on it and getting the help you need.

[ removed ]

Thank you in advance for any information you can pass my way.

Take Care and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Bette

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2004 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Do not post your email address. Please carefully review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on Posting Rules at the top left of this page. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Bbassett: I posted some info for you where you posted on the Open To All Health Topics Forum.

Bette: One of the reasons you may not be finding much info is that it's spelled Morphea. Try searching with that spelling.

For both of you, here is a link to the National Institutes of Health Govt. Website (Scleroderma page) which will give you further links to MORPHEA and info on scleroderma (and its sub-types) from various resources. Treatments, research etc, including clinical trials.

http://search.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/query?FUNCTION=search&PARAMETER=morphea& DISAMBIGUATION=true&SERVER1=server1&SERV ER2=server2&START=0&END=25&MAX=500&ASPEC T=0

Since the boards no longer make links clickable, you'll have to copy and paste link into your address bar.

Hope you find some answers.
zuzu xx

Old 09-08-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
(female)

babs39 HB User

hi.i just read your post on morphia,just to tell you that my 13 year old son has morphia too,and his has got bigger and wider but he says it does not hurt while it used to ,its now stopped,we only noticed it when he was getting ready for school one day about 2,1/2 years ago now,so he has had it all that time and still not had any treatment for it,i was thinking maybe it affects him in other ways ,but im not sure how,cos no-one can tell us much about it ,only that they had not had a case of it for over a hundred years,and there is no cure ,it will go away as quick as it appeared they said,and it was a case of oh my god what is that and where did it come from,and the doctor said it will just go the same way it came,baffled!but the skin round it is hard and dean says it only hurts when he bends and stuff cos of it being so hard it kind of folds and thats why it hurts,but i would love to know if there is a cream available,as i want my son to grow up without it really,i dont understand why there is no cure for it as there is normally a cure for skin problems like exczema ,and its quite the same as in the hard skin and flaky looking,so there must be a cream even if only to soothe it a bit,,it would help,anyway there you go,thats me done now.please would you let me know if you get any sort of advice from ppl about it and how you can make the skin softer,please let me know, will you? thankyou very much ,,,babs..

Old 10-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

Mystichuntress HB User

I have Morphia. I have had it for about 12 years. The research I found about a year after being diagnosed was that Morphia is caused by truama to the skin. My sons are only 17 months apart and the first spot I had was on my stomach in a spot that hurt all the time to be touched when pregnant with my first son. Last count I made probably about 5 years ago I had over 70 spots in total on my torso. With time they have faded and I have learned that saying 70 spots sound scary and horrible but it is not that bad. I have lived my life pretty much the same, well once I got over the shock. I feel I am lucky because they have never gotten on my face and I can hide most. Otherwise people just think I have bruises. I have had to explain the spots to nurses from the moment they see them, as I have been told before that their intention was to call family services because they thought I was being abused. This was especially the case when pregnant with my 3rd child and the very large spot (my first) I had on my stomach.

Look the pain goes away. I have found when spots first arrive before you see them they hurt. The ones I have on my ribs would knock the wind out of me at first but when the spots start appearing the pain begins to dissolve.

I wish there was a cure...but I have never heard of one.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
(female)

Jackie W HB User

Hi Thought I would share my experience with Morphea.
When I was 18, way back in 1981, noticed a white spot on my left cheek, this gradually got larger and the skin thickened, it also had an almost mouve tinge to it.
The doctors loved it, called in all the students and took photos. It was decided I had Morphea on my cheek and vitiligo going down onto my neck.
At the time they prescribed a drug which I can't quite remember the name of, something like penicilimine. Well it definitely made my wee smell of penicillin. I had to go to the clinic every week for blood tests but that was because of the tablets not the morphea. Recommend keeping skin moistened as can get itchy where skin stretching.
Anyway gradually it stopped thickening and seemed just to settle down and I stopped going to the clinic.
Now all these years later the lump/thickening has disappeared. It has left some discolouration of the skin (slightly browner but this is more to do with not putting high enough sun protection on) and more wrinkled skin on my check but otherwise everything is fine, I had no health problems at all.
Hope this helps
J

Old 12-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

sheree05 HB User

Hi. I have had morphea since I was about 5. I'm almost 22. Of course it bothered me when I was a child but sometimes I catch myself forgetting that its there. Thank God I just have it on my foot. There was a time when it started to spread rapidly and they were afraid of it crossing my ankle. Well I can thankfully say that with many many prayers, I honestly believe it has burned itself out and has stopped. I use to not be able to move the skin on top of my foot... now it is almost the same as my other foot besides some discoloration. I feel very blessed that it did not spread further. But as I am getting older, I catch myself worrying about internal problems caused by this disease. The things that I have read says that it could cause hardening of organs? It's a scary thought. But I honestly have faith in the Lord that I'm cured now, but it doesnt hurt to have knowledge of it. So if anyone with morphea could tell me if they've had any internal problems or if they have read anything like that... that would be helpful. Thanks so much. My prayers go out to everyone. God Bless.

Last edited by sheree05; 12-06-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
(female)

Funnygirl2 HB User

Spelled MORPHEA. I work in a wound clinic ...I have a patiet with morphea...we are injecting his lesion with a steroid called Kenalog, and it's getting smaller, but it's happening slowly. I know these lesions are painful...we use narcotics for the morphea pain in our clinic. Good Luck...hope this helps. Jen in NJ

Old 03-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

dompierre5 HB User

Hi Funnygirl,
It was so nice to hear from you! I am not sure of the size since it is on my back. Probably about 6 in x 7 in. It isn't raised though, it is indented.

It is darkened too. Looks like a bad bruise. I can't stand the pain. Do you have any suggestions of where I can go in the Boston area for help?
I'd also like to hear more about the patients you see and how those injections help your patient. Thanks

Closed Thread