It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2002, 08:39 AM   #1

Amosquito HB User
Unhappy Heat Sickness

I get "heat sick" mostly outside in the sun, but in ALL heat, including inside. I don't tend to sweat, *except* once I've got the heat sickness. THEN, I sweat say under arms and back of neck. Not for long, though. I get a bad headache then, and am out of it for at least that day, over night usually.

Drink PLENTY of water, things like Gatoraid don't help, I eat a great diet, am thin. Have had this for over a decade and it gets worse each year. This year I'm getting it around 70 degrees. BTW, this doesn't happen in the winter, say in front of a fireplace. But it can and does happen if I'm in a too warm room, often without moving air.

ANYONE, and is there any help for this???
Thanks, I'm desperate.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:05 AM   #2

sunshine3 HB User
Amazing...I have looked for years for someone who suffers from heat sickness. It drives me crazy...I become a night owl with the heat. I never go outside except to get in my car during the day. I have lights that light up my yard at night so I can get most of my work done at this time. It is truly miserable....but this year is especially worse, like you. I am trying to get to the Dr. to see if maybe my thyroid is messed up or something. Maybe if we keep each other informed we can find some help. One thing that helps me is taking a cold shower and sleeping for about an hour, sometimes that will perk me up and sometimes I have to take a drug called fioricet. Along with the headache comes severe "throwing up" spells that sometimes last for 2 days. I wish that we could figure out a "fix-it" or something. I will post again soon.....good luck and stay out of the sun!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2002, 01:59 PM   #3

Amosquito HB User
To Sunshine3

Odd name, BTW

Are you saying that you will get a headache if you go out in the daylight, or that more often than headache, you just get "heat sick", the awful weak, cannot sweat enough to cool yourself, feeling, like you just cannot tolerate it and then you will get a bad headache if you stay out in it?

If so, I'd be VERY careful how you word your "complaints" to the doctor. As I was reading your post, I thought "doctor will say classic migraine, don't go into the sun, keep taking the Fioricet .. . . . . " never finding the real problem. I've never even had a doctor suggest anything AS the problem. I've been to headache clinic over the years too, and neurologists for my headaches, but this heat sick thing IS different. It sure is rare.

BTW, the way you get the throwing up for two days and have a headache, *is* a classic migraine, but I too get that *AFTER* I get heatsick. I know I don't always get a migraine with mine, more the feeling like I could faint. Wobbly, weak, awful. People don't "get it" who haven't had this either, esp. my primary care doctor!

Old 06-24-2002, 07:22 AM   #4

circe22 HB User
Unhappy

I too get sick from the sun...but while the heat makes me swell up physically I can take clouded, overcast sun. It's only in bright, hot sunlight that I get dizzy, weak,a racing heart, and nausea. I've had migraines (too much caffine)and the headache that comes from sun exposure is different. It's like it affects my whole system rather than just occuring on one side of my head. I usually have to sleep for 3-4 hours after a large exposure to the sun gone bad. I've been doing research on the internet to find the cause of my swelling and it being heat related (no simple swelling, I'm 22 and while pudgy, not overweight and my feet turn puple and I can't bend them in the summer this has been happening for 2 years, before that I worked nights in the summmer to avoid the sun)and apparently we vamps aren't alone in our sun adversion. There are many posts I've read on various med sites with people seriously complaining about this but I haven't found a medically supported "disorder" or factual information or websites available. But there are many, many people experiencing the same thing...I'll keep searching

Old 06-24-2002, 07:35 AM   #5

Amosquito HB User
Yes I too can take the overcast sun much better. As long as it's not too hot and humid. Yesterday, for example it was totally cloudy but like 85 degrees and 100%humidity here and I got heat sick big time. I was I do wear a hat, and can kinda be walking around more in the sun, but it's getting worse and I just stay near shade if at ALL possible. I have no swelling, either. I'm skinny, have good circulation. I guess the obvious is to put your feet up, AFTER you've asked your doctor to check out this swelling, you could have kidney or circulatory problems probably unrelated to the heat sickness. Please get that checked out. Make your doctor's appointment for the end of the afternoon so they can see the feet!

Old 06-24-2002, 07:46 AM   #6

circe22 HB User
Thanks for the input and for your concern I've been tested for kidney disease, thyroid, diabetes, arthritis, bladder irregularities, liver disorders, and on and on and I'm still stumped...believe me I'm not letting my doc get away with brushing me off easily after a year of negative tests. I mean the swelling is crazy, so I'm not lol...As for the sun, I was out yesterday with gray skies and a nice breeze and was blissed out at the fact that I didn't feel crappy but on scorching hot and humid days I still hide inside.

Old 06-25-2002, 07:01 AM   #7

Amosquito HB User
I too had a good day yesterday because it was LOW humidity. This is a connection too, I think. It was about 82 degrees inside my house but humidity 43% (We have a humidistat)

While I was outside, walking to and from, I was ok, and thought wow, this is great. I didn't SIT out in the sun, though. If only there were a non or low humidity place all summer ....

Old 07-02-2002, 03:29 PM   #8

sunshine3 HB User
Unhappy

Hey guys!!!! YES Sunshine is a weird name for a "non-sunworshipping" kinda gal..hehehehe..it is actually a nickname my dh gave me years ago...anyway..it is not only the sun that kills me off...it is the plain and simple act of being hot. My dh decided to take my temp. once when I was getting the headache and throwing up...it was 103 deg. I took a coooool shower and it did help a bit, but I still end up in bed for a day or two sick from the heat. Like you my actual migraines are different, just on one side of my head, but the heat headache is my WHOLE head!!! miserable. So I am just really a night owl, which in the long run is better for my skin anyway, right????? I always try to find a good thing about every situation I find myself in. Well I hope that the weather cools off a bit. It has been so hot here. Let me know if you have any other suggestions about a "cure".....or whatever...thanks.

Old 07-07-2002, 10:12 AM   #9

circe22 HB User
I say we should all go out and buy a really high quality air conditioner! The humidy has been so high here that in the past week it's been about 40 consistantly. Now that's just to hot for anyone! When there's warnings for the elderly to not go outside, it's bad and obviously I don't want to start a nice walk then either! Even my healthy boyfriend called in sick this week, people are really dropping like flies around here. Anyways, I've had two fans running on full blast to sleep the night but usually end up getting up super early at like 5am anyways because my body is just TOO hot. I think an air conditioner for people like us in the summer is something to look into. An expensive but usefull quick fix!

Old 07-27-2002, 09:10 AM   #10
Inactive

cthrn HB User
Hi. Anyone have a rash in conjunction with this problem? thank you.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #11
(male)

doggiej15 HB User
Re: Heat Sickness

This is very interesting thread. For about three years I have had constant "migrains." They are diagnosed as migraines, yet they seem almost nothing like your typical migraines. For over a year I was severely ill and hospitalized multiple times. As time went on I became better, but my symptoms became more and more atypical.
• Lethargy has always been a huge problem
• Pain is actually not a very significant problem
• Nausea and vertigo have become less
• The main problem was (and still is) an inability to think. I feel like I am in a daze, dislocated from reality and a significant drowsiness. It is a MAJOR problem as it interferes with everything that I due
Luckily, I no longer suffer from this on a daily basis. I am just much more tired than before and am more prone to be in a daze (I have been referred to as sometimes looking catatonic). The only time I really suffer from these symptoms is on a rare occasion or when I am exposed to excessive heat on the back of my neck, head or back. If I take a shower in the morning, it has to be freezing cold, or I have a “migraine” that day. These episodes also last from one day to any number of days. It is always different. Oddly enough, I do usually have a migraine “aura” before I have one (which usually try to deny to myself). I don’t suffer anywhere near as much as I did, but it is still really a weird condition. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Because I, along with multiple doctors, really have no idea what is going on.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
(female)

Tearose84 HB User

I have most of these symptoms...but I also have eyes that are extremely sensitive to light and I also get nosebleeds. Here I thought I was the only weird person in the world!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
(female)

KGM HB User

I been having this similiar problem since a child. My family would always bring along cold wash cloths, water etc... where ever we went because the heat and sun would just do me in. I played soccer as a child and loved it, but by the end of the game, I would have BRIGHT red cheeks and everyone else looked normal. I used to always be embarrassed by that as a kid. It seems the condition gets worse as I age. I am 34 years old now, and just yesterday took my sun to the fair, it was overcast, not that sunny but it was hot..... I thought I was doing ok, I kept drinking a lot of water, pouring it over my head and watching everyone else do just fine. That is one thing that is hard for me.... watching everyone around me not be affected at all. Anyway, I ended up getting sick, I should have known (ha). If I think I might get heat sick, I do not eat because when I get heat sick, it feels like my body just shuts down. Food does NOT digest and it just sits in my stomach. I have to make myself throw up (sorry if this digusts anyone) in order to start getting better. I take some tylenol and go to bed for a couple of hours with the cold air on me. Once I wake up, I am fine. I am sooooooo tired of this happening though, I wish I knew why I did this???? It is nice to share though and see there are others who experience this. I always keep scouring the internet for an explanation.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Hello there... thought I would drop in my two cents worth...

I cannot tollerate heat of any kind... in the summer I avoid the large glowing evil yellow thingy in the sky with a passion and in the winter I keep my house cool. I always thought that people were crazy when they said that heat made them sleepy... how in the world can anyone sleep when it is hot?

When subjected to heat I turn red, I am talking brick red... my heart pounds (130-160+ beats a minute) and my blood pressure goes haywire (220/140+) and I would get short of breath... friends and family would remark on how red I would turn.

It took a Doctor treating me for Pain Management asking a few questions to put me on track to a reason and a possible treatment... my other Doc's completely overlooked the condition because it is so rare. Guess what... rare means that very few ever get it, but it does not mean that you can't have it!

My Doctors are now all in agreement that I have a condition called Pheochromocytoma and though they have not found the exact location of that microtumor they are hunting it down and bound to get it out.

Had that Pain Management Doc not commented on my high BP and other things that seemed to be completely unrelated and given me a name for what is going on I would have never brought it up to my primary or Cardio and would still be bouncing in limbo.

You know your body, you live in it every day, you know what is normal for it and what is not... do not let any Doctor brush you off but insist that every possible reason for your troubles be explored and explained... not just the common ones but the rare as well... you never know when a chance encounter will bring on results.

Closed Thread