It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2002, 10:52 AM   #1

kim simone HB User
Question all over twitching/spasms

I have been experiencing muscle twitching and spasms all over my body for a few months now. It started in my left eye. At first, I would notice it after I sneezed, flinched or got under the shower. Then it started to do it on a more frequent basis. Then I started noticing small twitches in my arms, then my back, then in my legs. By the end of the week I felt them going off every few seconds, randomly, from head to toe. I have gone to Dr. Have had EMG, and they found nothing! I admit I suffer from anxiety, I decided to try Zoloft to see if this would stop the spasms. So far it hasn't helped. I sleep pretty well, and have no other health problems or ill feelings. I am wondering if anyone else has had this, or could shed some light?

The Following User Says Thank You to kim simone For This Useful Post:
DWAYNEW (02-12-2012)
Old 09-27-2002, 07:59 PM   #2

kim simone HB User
I was worried about MS and ALS. They could not find any indication of those on the EMG. Everything came back normal. Should there have been other testing done? I tend to think it could be stress, but really don't know for sure!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
Inactive

silverwill HB User
Hi Kim,

Did you read the side effects of the Zoloft? Is spasm one of them? I ask because I'm on Prozac & Lithium for bi-polar disorder. I was a little shaky before that (all my life), but since I was put on the Lithium, I've been shakier (in my limbs mostly-but occasionally I have tremors all over) which can be annoying when you're a drafting student.
I had been on Zyprexa for a couple days once. It gave me severe full body tremors & anaphylaxis. Shakes were one of the side effects, but I don't know if I got them because I was severely allergic to the meds or what.
Anyhoo, the reason I was shaky (this is that the psych. said) is because of the anxiety I was experiencing & from my drastic highs & lows. Some sort of mental chemical thing. I believe that's true, but maybe it's not bi-polar...see my post in the list for the lowdown on my odd occurances.
I'd have blood tests run to see if all your chemical levels are in check. That way you can rule out chemical imballance if it's all normal & try another route.
I hope I didn't kill you with this long post. Sorry 'bout that.
~Shelli~

Old 12-07-2002, 06:46 PM   #4

kim simone HB User
Wink

No, not a symptom like that listed on the package. Actually. I was twitching prior to taking the medication. It seems to have gotten a bit beter since I've been on it!

I've had all my bloodwork done, and everything came back normal.

Thanks for the reply.

Kim

[This message has been edited by kim simone (edited 12-07-2002).]

Old 02-09-2003, 11:20 AM   #5

Eartha HB User
Question

Hi Kim,
I had spams like you describe. I found that I needed to keep my muscles hydrated. And this also helped keep the electrolites in balance. Now that I hydrate my muscles alot, the spams have calmed down alot.
Before, the spams where so bad that my muscles would knot up and stay really painful (like charley-horses) all over, wherever the muscle would spamism.
Hope this helps you out!
Eartha

Old 02-09-2003, 06:22 PM   #6

kim simone HB User
Hi Eartha!

How do you keep them hydrated? Just a lot of water? If so how much/how ofetn?

Thanks!

Kim

Old 02-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #7

snowbug HB User
Kim,
The muscle twitches you are describing sound a lot like hypoparathyroidism (undersecretion of parathyroid hormone or PTH). Too little PTH leads to a deficiency of calcium, which causes muscle fibers to "twitch" spontaneously. It is usually caused by some type of damage to the parathyroid glands, such as when thyroid surgery has been done. (The parathyroid glands are located on the posterior surface of the two lobes of the thyroid gland.)

There are a couple of very simple tests which may indicate hypoparathyroidism. One is Trousseau's Sign: the hand contracts spontaneously when BP is checked with a cuff on the same arm. The other is called Chvostek's Sign: When the angle of the mandible (jawbone) is tapped, the muscles of the face will spasm. You could almost try that one yourself.
Good luck and please re-post and let us know if you find out anything.

"I have been experiencing muscle twitching and spasms all over my body for a few months now. It started in my left eye. At first, I would notice it after I sneezed, flinched or got under the shower. Then it started to do it on a more frequent basis. Then I started noticing small twitches in my arms, then my back, then in my legs. By the end of the week I felt them going off every few seconds, randomly, from head to toe."

Old 02-28-2003, 03:46 PM   #8

kim simone HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply.

I went to a few sites regarding this possibility. I don't have any other symptoms other than the fasiculations.

I tried the self test, and nothing happened. I will talk to my endo about it though, and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the help.

Kim

Old 03-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #9

englishrose101 HB User
Hi Kim,

I have been experiencing nerve twiches under my skin and muscel jerks all over my body. I also have a tremor in both hands, tingling, numbness, spasms and burning. Ms was ruled out thru an mri. The my family doctor seems to imply it is anxiety. Like you I do not have any answers.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:13 PM   #10

kim simone HB User
Wink

Hi Englishrose!

It's been 9 months for me, and I pretty much think that is does have a lot to do with anxiety! I have had every test, and had everything ruled out. I have always been a worrier over my health, and I always fear the worst. My problem was not believeing the Dr.s. I have finally accepted it as a benign condition, and went on Zoloft. They are almost gone. They only seem to come back when I'm stressed, and dwell on them.

I also have a thyroid problem (autoimmune hashimotos) which could have triggered them. But I KNOW I am fine.

If your twitches and spasms are anxiety related, and I bet they are. My best advise is to try and dismiss them as no big deal. You will be happy you did.

Kim

[This message has been edited by kim simone (edited 03-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 04-20-2003).]

Old 03-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #11

bryndarammer HB User
I HAVE ALSO HAD TWITCHING. BUT I ALSO HAVE HAD 2 GRAND MAL SEIZURES. THE MORNING BEFORE MY SECOND SEIZURE, I HAD TWITCHING IN MY RIGHT ARM AND SIDE, I ALSO LOST CONTROL OF MY HAND AND ARM FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. AT FIRST, DRS SAID MY TROUBLE WAS ANXIETY...THAT IS UNTIL THE 2ND SEIZURE, NOW THEY ARE CALLING IT EPILEPSY...HAVE POSTED ON EPILEPSY MESSAGE BOARD ALSO, TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY AT 39 I HAVE SUDDENLY DEVELOPED THIS CONDITION, AS IT HAS OCCURED AFTER A SURGERY HYSTERECTOMY TO BE EXACT, STILL SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS

Old 04-20-2003, 09:32 AM   #12

kosovocccc05 HB User
Smile

Kim,
I've been experiencing muscle twitches for two weeks now. I always think the worst. I also constantly diagnois myself with everything possible. Last year I had an MRI b/c i made myself believe that i had a abrain tumor. I'm worried about MS. Do you think MS would show up on the MRI when I took it last year? Does anyone know what it could be? I had blood test taken last weeka dn everything came back ok
SUZI

Old 04-20-2003, 06:16 PM   #13

kim simone HB User
Wink

Suzie,

If you are anything like me, and it sounds like you are, I think we worry far too much. I really feel like I worried myself sick. Last year when all this started, I was worried constantly. My Mom was going through cancer treatments, my Mother In Law got cancer too. Then came 9/11, then Anthrax. I was worried we would be the next to come down with the anthrax virus. I worried for myself but especially for my kids. Then I started feeling strange. I got panic attacks and weird sensations like muscle weakness. I went on line and just KNEW I had MS. I went to the Dr.s, they said no. Then the twitching came. I went on-line and then convinced myself I had ALS and would be dead soon. Again the Dr. said no. Finally I went on Zoloft and Xanax in Sept. of last year. The twitching became much less, but was still there. The more I would dwell on it, the worse it would become. Once my meds really kicked in (3 months later)I worried less about it, but they were still there. I decided to accept my condition as something triggered by stress, and decided not to read into it, or think the worst. I decided to take seriously the fact that I was making myself sick. Within 2 more months, I re-trained the way I was thinking, and now, I am happy to say I am twitch free! It took me 10 months to get here. I hope you can learn from my experience. See a therapyst about your health obsessions, and take all the steps necessary to get better. The rest will follow. Stay off the internet and please stop self diagnosing. Once I got off the computer searching for answers, I was far better off.

I really hope you feel better soon.

Stay in touch. p.s. Your MRI would have shown lesions of MS. STOP WORRYING! You are fine. TRUST ME! The only other thing I would have your Dr. check is your thyroid. Sometimes an imbalance can cause twitching. Other causes are magnesium deficiency or B-12 deficiency. All harmless conditions, and easily treated.

Kim

[This message has been edited by kim simone (edited 04-20-2003).]

Old 05-06-2003, 06:50 AM   #14

klp HB User
Hi kim,
Your story sounds just like mine. I felt I was reading something that I wrote! My twitches started about 2 months ago and they seem to be lessen day by day. Hopefully soon they will be gone all together. YOu are right about staying off the internet. It is a scary place out there!!!

Hope all is well.

[This message has been edited by klp (edited 05-06-2003).]

Old 05-24-2003, 10:50 AM   #15
ShaBaby

Lightbulb

My daughter has twitching and we haven't gotten a diagnosis either. I am thinking it's one of these because she has multiple skeletal deformities, etc.
Could my daughter have: Diastrophic Dysplasia, Rosey Levy Syndrome, Spondyloepiphyseal Dysplasia Tarda, Congenital Spondyloepiphyseal Dysplasia, Epiphysealis Hemimelica Dysplasia, or something else. She has Spina Bifida OCCULTA, mild Scoliosis, a slip disk(Spondyl.....)sp??, tight hamstrings and heal cords, extra bones in all the toes, TMJ(jaw disorder), one leg shorter than the other, memory problems, twitching, clubfeet, 2/3rd grade mentality and she is going in 8th grade, etc. Help!

------------------
ShaBaby

Closed Thread