It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 07:42 PM   #1

ninakronov HB User
Question painful lump below right ear....does anyone know what's going on with me?

about a week ago, i had one episode of ringing in my right ear. then on sunday, i noticed a hard lump, about the size of a pencil eraser, below my ear on the right side. it is very painful to touch it and the pain extends about 1 inch down my jaw, but only in this area. you can't see the lump, only feel under my skin. my father said i probably have an ear infection, but the pain is not located in my ear...so i don't think he is correct. does this sound familiar to anyone? my mom wants me to make a doctors appointment for thursday to get it checked out...but since i just came from the doctor a few days before to have my hemoglobin a1c drawn, i really don't want to go back so soon. should i be worried about this lump on my neck? thanks everyone...

Old 10-17-2003, 08:36 PM   #2

mmitch315 HB User
Hi,
I would definately go have this checked out. I had a friend that had the same problems and it ended up being an infected lymph node. He ended up in the hospital because it spread across his jaw. It may be nothing but better to check.
Mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2003, 02:43 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Two suggestions: either your lymph node could be swollen (with or without infection)or you might have developed a tumor on your parotid gland, which is in that location (I mention this only because you say it is hard). Either way, you should have it checked. If it is a tumor, it can be aspirated to make sure that it is benign (most are). In the meantime, try not to worry.

ps: you might want to see an ENT

Peregrine

[This message has been edited by peregrine (edited 10-18-2003).]

Old 10-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #4

ninakronov HB User
thank you both for the very informative replies to my post. i talked to my dad about my problem..he's a doc...and he said that he had the same problem when he was younger, and to go have it looked at by my doctor, just in case. i was a little worried about this..since i also have a brain tumor (it's benign, though). i always wonder if/when it might become malignant or start to cause me more problems. my only issues right now are short term memory loss, word articulation and mood swings. this is because it's located in the frontal lobe..where the brain regulates your moods, speech, and i think...memories. oh well, everyone has their things to deal with
thanks you once again for your helful information and god bless!

Old 10-19-2003, 05:10 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Nina,

Wish you all the best with this!

Peregrine

Old 11-09-2003, 01:51 PM   #6

ButtMonki HB User
Paratoid Gland

You have probably solved your problem by now but if not I have some information.

I have had a swollen node under my right ear several times, my right side is the weaker side of my body. My father is a dentist and he sent me to an oral surgeon. The gland can be swollen from many factors most commonly a blockage, usually a stone which can be in the duct. My problem was due to always getting unusual infections etc (I am not exactly healthy!) I managed to get an ulcer inside the duct blocking it and causing swelling. I have also had swelling on the floor of my mouth where another saliver gland is located. This however is unusual it is more often stones and the gland will remain swollen until the stone either moves or a surgeon removes it I think they blast it with a laser or something. If it moves naturally and does not come out the duct it will reoccur as the stone may get stuck and cause a blockage again. There is a test they can do to look at the gland, where they feed dye into the gland and use a machine similar to an ultrasound to follow the flow of saliva and see if there are any blockages. I must say blocked saliva glands are VERY painful especially when eating sour food.

I hope you have solved your problem and if not that this is of some help to you.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
I would tend to go with a swollen lymph gland as well considering you said the pain extends to your ear. Do you know if your father had something called a "branchial cyst"? It's a congenital abnormality where, depending on what type of cyst you have, you can have a "tunnel", if you will that is filled with fluid that runs from the inside of your head and neck to the outside. A lot of the time, you can't notice it, and it only becomes a problem if the area gets infected. But that's just a thought.

Another thing that has to be ruled out is mastoiditis, though that normally affects younger children...but it sounds like you're a teenager and it can affect teenagers as well.

Finally, all this talk of malignancy. Not sure if it really that likely considering that you're under 40 (I'm assuming that)....it also makes a parotid stone unlikely, but once again, things that you have to rule out.

Closed Thread