It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2003, 04:33 PM   #1

lrehberg HB User
Unhappy Hands Going Numb

Hi..In the last couple of months just when I lay down my both hands go completely numb from the fingers to the wrist.I shake them and it stops within mins. they are swelled and a slightly different colour when it happens..its not painful but it wakes me up too and happens everytime i lay down awake or sleeping..i have tingling too..PLEASE HELP!!

Old 03-07-2003, 06:06 AM   #2

kimmmi HB User
I have the same condition. Although I can't help you very much, I can share that mine started after my back surgery. So maybe, it has something to do with the spinal cord, compression, or something. When I told my neurologist, he didnt seem concerned. But it can get downright painful sometimes. It only happens when I lay on my back, so my solution, since no doctor helped me, was to lay on my side. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2003, 06:52 PM   #3
(female)

katastrofic HB User
Exclamation

I've had numb hands for 21/2 months. This is a symptom of pernicious anemia(B12 deficiency) which is very common, and should not be left untreated. I would definitely get into the doctor for a blood test, and a neurologist.

Old 05-15-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
I just read this post. If your blood tests didn't show the B12 deficiency, there might be 2 other possibilities, Carpal tunnel or bulging cervical disc in your neck. An EMG would verify this.

jdog

Old 05-16-2003, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by lrehberg:
Hi..In the last couple of months just when I lay down my both hands go completely numb from the fingers to the wrist.I shake them and it stops within mins. they are swelled and a slightly different colour when it happens..its not painful but it wakes me up too and happens everytime i lay down awake or sleeping..i have tingling too..PLEASE HELP!!
Hi
Do you find that this tingling & numbness is mainly in your thumb, index & middle fingers? If so, it could be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Check out some web sites to see if your symptoms match & there's a CTS forum on this board too. The median nerve travels down the arm from the neck to these fingers & it can get trapped, often at the wrist, causing the symptoms you describe. Your doctor can do various tests. Best to go along & get that done. Good luck
Lidia

Old 06-28-2003, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

alm721 HB User
I can't believe I've found this thread. I'm having the same problems. When I lay down my hands go numb and a red sort of colour. They also swell slightly. It also happens when I walk with my arms by my sides. When I lift my arms up and wriggle my fingers it stops for a short while and then returns. The funny thing is that this has only developed since I had a lumber fusion 6 weeks ago. Never suffered with it before. I also have a pain in the back of my neck, which is worse when I lay down and again has only occured since the fusion. Do you think this may be whats causing it?
Thanks Andrea

Old 08-27-2003, 09:37 PM   #7

Scruff HB User
Since doing a lot of physical work on my acreage this summer - buiding a rock garden (lots and lots of rocks); moving stuff in a wheelbarrow; and scraping and painting many, many fences - I got pains/numbness/tingling sensations in my fingers/hands/wrists while sleeping. I went for nerve testing. The results indicated border line carpal tunnel sydrome and definite tendonitis. I have slowed down my activity but the numbness/discomfort has not gone, just the tingling in my finger tips has stopped.
Coincidentally, the doctor told me I had arthritis in my index finger. Could these symptoms be more arthritis in my hands? Doctors seem to busy and never seem to follow up or provide feedback. I hate to be a nuisance but something is wrong. Any suggestions?

Old 08-30-2003, 07:32 AM   #8
Inactive

Gine2D HB User
It could be Carpal Tunnel or a pinched nerve in the neck. A good chiropractor can do a 5 minute check for the pinched nerve. Carpal Tunnel needs an electro nerve test.

Most carpal tunnel surgeries help, but not all. Check around with friends to see who does the best surgery.

In some states once you go to an orthopedic doctor no other ones will take you as a patient. Good ole boy club.

Good luck,

G

Old 09-20-2003, 07:37 AM   #9

JoelScott HB User
Does anyone experience any "slight" facial numbness also associated with this finger numbness.

I just had a FULL check up and my dr. says I am fine, but I feel disassosiated, fatigued, having trouble hearing, hand sleep numbness.

Could it be my diet?
What about a new bed?
Stress?

I need some feedback from anyone who has experienced similiar problems.

Joel

Old 09-20-2003, 11:10 AM   #10

well HB User
Unhappy

Hi all, I have the same thing in my left hand. I had c-tunnel surgery done for my right hand, few years ago. But my left hand does not stop, I can shake it, lay my hand down beside me, nothing helps it. I have started taking b complete, I noticed some improvement, nothing big. You can do a test your self to see if it can be cts, take your two first fingers and tap them to the hand that you are having that problem, if you feel any knid of sensation, it is very possible it is cts. My primary doc, did it with my right hand, it felt like I got shocked. But with my left hand it doesnt do any thing. I also have fibromyaliga, and something growing on my left lung, but the doc dont think that is what is causing my chest pain, so now after finding out what it is not, cancer! I going to have another c-scan done, but of my thorac spine, maybe I can have a pinched nerve, buldging disc, ao maybe a splintered , I cant remember what the other name is. At least he is doing new things to find out what this chest pain is from. It is not from Ra, the fibro, can cause chest pains, but neither doc thinks that is what it is from either. I hope some one reads this, help, if you can.
Well

Old 10-19-2003, 05:41 PM   #11

ANNETTE H HB User
Thumbs up

In some cases the hand numbness can be from Thoracic outlet syndrome--conpression of nerves or blood vessels between the neck and shoulders. Sometimes from the first rib or an extra little rib.The facial numbness can be from a pinched nerve in the neck. Both are bothersome if not downright painful. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 10-28-2003, 07:46 AM   #12

friendly HB User
Hi All
According to my G.I. dr. perniciuos anemia is B-12 deficiency but caused by a stomach enzyme missing, many people are B-12 deficient, but few actually have pernicious anemia. It is more often caused by diet, or bowel diseases or problems. B-12 levels can be picked up in blood work, and a shillings test can answer B-12 issues. Thanks, friendly
If I'm wrong I'd love to know as my dr. claims this is how it is, as I often have low b-12, but am not pernicious anemic.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
look up things on Raynauds Syndrome- I had a friend that had similar problems and I researched it to death, decided it was that, he saw the doctor, told him what I found, doctor did some tests and saw him a bit later...I was right! Wahoo! So now he takes a mild medicaiton for arthritis, and its virtually disappeared with exceptions when in extreme temperatures or in times of stress.
blue

Old 03-18-2004, 10:14 PM   #14

bluenubs HB User
Re: Hands Going Numb

Raynauds Syndrome, Carpal Tunnel, Cubital Tunnel, Shoulder Impingement or Frozen shoulder or even a pinched nerve in neck can assimilate such symptoms. Check w/ your PCP; if its nerve or shoulder related and symptoms persist you could end up with atrophy and months of rehab to regain lost motion.

Closed Thread