It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Rare Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lvb HB User
PFAPA Questions

Hi - I had never heard of PFAPA until yesterday, so I am just learning. My 2 year old son (turned two end of July) has been getting sick about once a month for the past 9 months or so. It always seems to be the same...we get a call from daycare that he is running a fever in the afternoon...by the evening he has a very high temp (usually around 105 when the Motrin wears off) and it lasts for about 5 days. He typically has an ear infection, and has stuff in his throat that they suspect to be strep but comes out negative. My questions are...

1) Is it normal to have ear infections along with this? Or is there hope he just gets regular ear infections and the fever is a result of that? My doubts about this are that the fever does not subside after he has been on antibiotics for a few days.

2) Is it normal for the fevers to be less regular (or less regular when this first starts)? I tried to track since March, and the time between fevers has been (in days): 35, 19, 77, 21, 40, 16, 15.

Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
(male)

Charlie11 HB User
Re: PFAPA Questions

I don't have the answers to your questions, but my son is 6 years old and we are on the path of tracking his fevers etc.. b/c over the last several months he has been getting fevers at least once a month if not every three weeks. This past time he got sick, he had an ear infection along with strep. However, he did have problems with his ears in the past. He also as somewhat enlarged tonsils. He seems to get a mouth sore leading up to his fever and just becomes totally wiped out and has no appetite. It's getting really frustrating for us. Last month we went to Infectious disease doctor and they brought up the possibility of PFAPA. So they said to track him the next 6 months and go from there. I'm trying to get as much information as possible for this syndrome. Any info you have or get please feel free to share and I could do the same. We're really thinking about getting his tonsils out. I heard that has helped with some cases, plus his are enlarged and causes some sleeping problems. Good luck with everything and hope to hear about your endeavors. Thanks! Charlie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
(female)

Ezadroga HB User

My daughter has had high fever that last 4-7 days since she has been 6 months old. The doctors say it's virus most of the time twice I was told it was hand foot and mouth. It's very hard for me to believe this cause she has a twin brother who never get sick. The fever episodes were not like clock work at first. She turned 2 last month and since May I have been seening a pattern in the fevers accuring around every six weeks and and lasting 4-7 days. She has just recovered from one today. I have been so worried about her fevers and when she started a fever last week after just recovering from the last on I started doing my own research and found pfapa. I brought it to my dr attention and insisted we do blood work. The results came back with high cvc's and anemia. The dr says she thinks we are on the right path and has refured us to a immunologist. I am so lost with this whole syndrome they don't no why is happen or how to control them. I was wondering if anyone has children who are having similar issues? She had her 2 year wellness check up and her iron levels were normal but the blood work while she is sick comes back with low iron results. I am woundering if the fevers and cauising the anemia. I hoped to get more answers soon! I you guys get answers for your little ones too!

Old 10-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
(female)

Ezadroga HB User

My daughter has had high fever that last 4-7 days since she has been 6 months old. The doctors say it's virus most of the time twice I was told it was hand foot and mouth. It's very hard for me to believe this cause she has a twin brother who never get sick. The fever episodes were not like clock work at first. She turned 2 last month and since May I have been seening a pattern in the fevers accuring around every six weeks and and lasting 4-7 days. She has just recovered from one today. I have been so worried about her fevers and when she started a fever last week after just recovering from the last on I started doing my own research and found pfapa. I brought it to my dr attention and insisted we do blood work. The results came back with high cvc's and anemia. The dr says she thinks we are on the right path and has refured us to a immunologist. I am so lost with this whole syndrome they don't no why is happen or how to control them. I was wondering if anyone has children who are having similar issues? She had her 2 year wellness check up and her iron levels were normal but the blood work while she is sick comes back with low iron results. I am woundering if the fevers and cauising the anemia. I hoped to get more answers soon! I you guys get answers for your little ones too!

Reply Reply