HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Rare Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/rare-disorders/)
-   -   PET SCAN and scared (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/rare-disorders/890514-pet-scan-scared.html)

skimordiegirl 02-22-2012 02:13 PM

PET SCAN and scared

Hi everyone,

My name is Candi... I have been dealing with a rare disorder for a few years now and finally a Dr. in CA is taking interest in it. He has invited me to participate in a brain imaging study on patients with the disorder. They want to do VEP, EEG, MRI and a PET scan with radioactive contrast. I am scared to death of flying first of all so that is a hurdle on it's own, but now with the other stuff I don't know what to expect. I hate MRI's and the banging noises, they put me in a trance feeling I hate. Anyone ever do any of these tests?

Thanks so much,

C

Clairethebear17 11-21-2012 06:46 AM

Re: PET SCAN and scared

[QUOTE=skimordiegirl;4932492]Hi everyone,

My name is Candi... I have been dealing with a rare disorder for a few years now and finally a Dr. in CA is taking interest in it. He has invited me to participate in a brain imaging study on patients with the disorder. They want to do VEP, EEG, MRI and a PET scan with radioactive contrast. I am scared to death of flying first of all so that is a hurdle on it's own, but now with the other stuff I don't know what to expect. I hate MRI's and the banging noises, they put me in a trance feeling I hate. Anyone ever do any of these tests?

Thanks so much,

C[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about those test I have had them all done before:) the vep was really simple they cover one of your eyes and you watch a little red dot move across a monitor. Super simple no noise no needles

The EEG is also really easy they put electrodes on your scalp (which by the way looks really weird) they ask you to preform simple tasks like touching your hand to your nose. The worst part of this one is when they flash lights at your eyes...nothing worse

If you really dislike the MRI they can occasionally give you head phones so you can listen to music while your in there. Other than at I can't help you on that one.

A pet scan is just like a full body ct scan but you have to get a needle for the contrast not a big deal. I felt fine after mine

Good luck

yrsofpainsucks 12-11-2012 06:46 PM

My grandmother has horrible anxiety when it comes to MRI's and such. She expressed this to her doctor and he perscribed a mild diazepam to take 15 minutes before her appointment. He also let the place know and they made her as comfortable as they could, including headphones. Now I am not saying call your doc and say "give me a xanax" lol but express your concerns and fears with him so he can be aware and make suggestions.

I dont know about the other tests but I have had an MRI and a nuclear test with contrast (gallbladder) and they werent too bad. Well, ok the gallbaldder test sent me into a fit but that was the point of that one. I did a little deep breathing and praying before I went in and it was over before I knew it.

I hope everything turns out ok for you.

MonkeysOnStrike 04-03-2013 04:13 AM

The tests are not as scary as they seem. They work with people terrified by these tests everyday, they will find ways to make you feel comfortable, and if worse came to worse, they can't force you to do it: it's your ultimate call.

Participating in a study for a rare disease is a unique opportunity that has the potential to unveil a lot of information, not only for you, but for everyone else dealing with the same situation. I highly suggest you consider the opportunity. They have some great meds to knock you out on a plane haha.

Good luck.