It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User
Question Question on Raynauds????

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure which board to post this question on but I figured I would start here. I am still dancing around in limbo land. Trying to keep positive but it's getting harder by the day.

Anyway, at my last rheumie appt. about 2 months ago I told him that among my many other problems my feet were beginning to turn purple. I told him it was mostly if I went into a pool or an air conditioned room. After he rudely dismissed all my other symptoms because my ANA was only 1:40 he dismissed this one too.

Every since then it has been getting worse. My family doc thinks it is Raynauds and I am going to see a new rheumie at a teaching hospital but not until November.

My question is...for those of you who suffer with this symptom do the bottoms of your feet turn purple or just your toes? Mine is my finger nails turn completly purple underneath and the pads on the tips of my fingers turn red. On my feet....the whole bottoms of my feet with turn purple and only my big toe. Then they will turn a moddled kind of red. My joints in my toes hurt often with this too. I also get a pain that runs up my inner calves. Almost like my veins are hurting. I have had a doppler done to rule out blood clots.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I could really use some advice on how to make it feel better. Even a small temp. change is causing it.

Thanks for any help...deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User
Re: Question on Raynauds????

I started dropping drinks about 3 years ago. If a drink was too cold or there was ice in it, my hands would cramp, I thought it was just my arthritis but it was raynauds. My feet only turn purple in the arches, and my toes turn deep red the color change in my hands are very bright red to deep red. they ache and cramp like they are broken. I resist the urge to shave my legs when I am in a flare because the veins deep in my calf and along my shin swell painfully so. when not in a flare I try to walk as much as I can, to increase the oxygen in my blood, this is not a workout just keeping them moving. The temperature changes are unavoidable, but just be prepared wear compression gloves, I don't know the right name, but they have spandex in them, and you can find them in arthritis shops. Avoid walking on cold stone floors, run the heater in the bathroom when taking a shower, use the door to regulate how much heat is in the room, so you won't become overwhelmed by the heat either. I just try to stay aware of my surrounding I have a lightweight long sleeve shirt that I carry in my car so when I go in the mall I can put it on if its too cool inside. If I am wearing sandals, I try to keep sneakers in my car, just in case the temp drops. Hang in there while they are searching for your diagnosis. You can purchase a heated foot bath or parafin machine at Wal-Mart and eat will give your hands and feet some ease. None of these are cures, but I use them to cope. The toe pain is just ridiculous, for one thing to hurt so bad, but I hope you receive some sort of ease from my suggestions, and I hope you feel better.
Felicia

Old 09-10-2005, 04:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Thank you for the advice. I have been walking everyday hoping to improve some of the circulation. But the pain in my toes is making it difficult. I am assuming this is only going to get worse as winter comes.

I have a heated foot bath and I never thought of using it. I will do that today.

Thank you, deb

Old 09-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi,

Same goes for me. I wear socks year around and occasionally even to bed. I may look dorky with socks and Birkenstock sandals, but my feet don't ache. I also keep a sweatshirt jacket handy.

If your fingers are aching, hold a cup of hot tea or coffee and that is soothing.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 09-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I have really not thought about raynauds but I know what you are talking about with the cold hands and feet. I wear gloves the minute the weather changes, my hands can't take the cold they hurt so bad and my feet are always cold in winter. I also keep shirts and jackets with me year around sometime I just freeze in the summer with the A/C. When I worked it was the worse! I've done the holding hot coffee and tea thing myself. I don't think I have raynauds, but I certainly can appreciate what you are going through. This was a very interesting post gives me a lot to think about thank you.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Thanks..I will be holding a hot cup of tea soon. My fingers and toes ache so badly. Even up my shin bone. It's so frustrating. I can't believe it's getting so bad only with the slight weather change that we have had.

Thanks again...deb

Old 09-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
(female)

jusbreatheOM HB User

Amen to the hot cup of coffee or tea, it has saved me countless times. Warn towels out of the dryer around your feet or tuck them in at the bottom of your bed if you dont have traditional heating pad. You can wrap them like a muff around your hands, and cover up, it brings me a sigh of relief. My mom believes that *blue stuff* is the best for quick pain, but if you add heat it can get to hot and burn, so be careful. I really have not found much to help for the shin pain, but I am always looking and reading to find something, and if I do I will pass it along!
Felicia

Old 09-11-2005, 04:00 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

VeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB UserVeeJ HB User

To the cold feet & burning shins crowd---Me, too. Shin pain started at about age 13, an screaming-meemie period lasting a year. Drs. called it "growing pains" ( ), gave me Tylenol with codeine, and made me give up many physical activities. Looking back, sounds lupus-y?

Current rheumie says I have cutaneous vasculitis. Have got lots of broken & burning little blood vessels along tops of feet & ankles. My mom did also.

Wet & humid weather kicks shin pain into gear. I quered rheumie, he cleared throat & said kindly, "Ummm, that's pretty much why these things are called 'connective tissue diseases'". Told me to take NSAID's & not to let the inflammation rage.

Hope you are all having a good weekend. Vee (& small dog, wedged in chair behind me)

Old 09-11-2005, 06:02 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

Me too with the humid weather Veej. Feet are purple in the cold with mild shin pain and shins kill me when it's humid.

I can't wait until my new rheumie appt. That's not till November though. Urghhhh.

Thanks for the tips on the warm towels. I will try that.

deb

Old 09-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Great tip on the warm towels, thanks. Veej, I have also had shin pain and leg pain and it was called growing pains when I was younger. Use to almost cry with leg and foot and hand pain when I was younger and waiting for the bus and 'streetcar' (yes I know I am aging myself, some of you may not even know what a streecar is) in the cold weather. Couldn't seem to get enough clothes and socks on the help.

Closed Thread