It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
(female)

smakmom7 HB User
I have raynaud's how much fish oil is too much?

I have allways gotten cold easy and have gotten head aces when in the cold. With in the last year my hands have been getting frost bitten just by touching cold water. When my body gets cold my hands turn completly blue and become numb. I was told by my mom to take 10 1200mg fish oil pills a day. I have started doing this for the past 5 months and can see great improvement. Just today I was told to be careful about taking to much fish oil does any one have any idea why or how much might be too much. I have been exteramly impressed with the results so I don't really want to stop taking them. Any info would be greatly apprectated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
(female)

sherrylynn65 HB User
Re: I have raynaud's how much fish oil is too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakmom7 View Post
I have allways gotten cold easy and have gotten head aces when in the cold. With in the last year my hands have been getting frost bitten just by touching cold water. When my body gets cold my hands turn completly blue and become numb. I was told by my mom to take 10 1200mg fish oil pills a day. I have started doing this for the past 5 months and can see great improvement. Just today I was told to be careful about taking to much fish oil does any one have any idea why or how much might be too much. I have been exteramly impressed with the results so I don't really want to stop taking them. Any info would be greatly apprectated!

Hi There,,,I too have raynaulds and also take fish oil. I am a "junior herbalist" and own several journal's on the safety of herbs/vitamins/minerals and such. Couple of points to think about on fish oil: From what I have gathered is that if you take too much you may have trouble with blood clotting! Fish oil thins the blood and so therefore mega huge amounts should not be taken for extended lengths of time (and let your health care prof. know about taking these!). Fish oil has vitamins A and D and these can build up too much in the blood and cause some problems. Not a good thing. Now,,another issue. Not sure of the quality of what you are taking but just as fish can be contaminated by PCB's and mercury and so forth, so can the oil's. The acceptable dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids is 1.6 grams or 1600mg for men and 1.1 grams or 1100mg for women. This is set by the FDA but I tend to take a bit more. Remember to just keep an eye on the vit. A and D! Watch your bleeding!

Did this longwinded answer help? Let me know if you need more info and I will look it up in my "library"!

Sherry Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
(female)

smakmom7 HB User

Thank you for your response, is the A & D Something that is added or is it naturally in the fish oil? I Take Spring Valley Enteric Coated Omega3 Fish oil. 1200mg. It says 720mg of natural Omega-3. It also says it is 99.99% purified. Says nothing about A or D added. I have not noticed any easy bleeding, but will let my doctor know what I have been doing. I really enjoy not being cold all the time so I am hoping this is something safe for me to do for a long time. I stopped for about one week and noticed the coldness coming back. Can't even get stuff from the bottem of the freezer with out my fingers getting frost bitten. Thank you again!

Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
(female)

sherrylynn65 HB User

A and D both occur naturally with fish/fish oils. You can can get them free of them however if you hunt hard enough (at least the D)! The reason your doc. needs to know is if you have to have a procedure done you may have to stop taking it for a bit to make sure your blood clots correctly. As for the feeling of coldness,,,it drives me up the wall! May I ask if you might have other odd syptoms even if they have been with you since you were young?

Old 07-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
(female)

sherrylynn65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakmom7 View Post
Thank you for your response, is the A & D Something that is added or is it naturally in the fish oil? I Take Spring Valley Enteric Coated Omega3 Fish oil. 1200mg. It says 720mg of natural Omega-3. It also says it is 99.99% purified. Says nothing about A or D added. I have not noticed any easy bleeding, but will let my doctor know what I have been doing. I really enjoy not being cold all the time so I am hoping this is something safe for me to do for a long time. I stopped for about one week and noticed the coldness coming back. Can't even get stuff from the bottem of the freezer with out my fingers getting frost bitten. Thank you again!

Sorry,,forgot to mention that it appears that you might be taking a good supplement. If you look at the bottle and it does not say anything about what percentage of these vitamins you are getting do not ASSUME that A and D are absent. Not all supplements are going to list (guess they just assume we as consumers know this stuff???) A and D. Another thing is how long have you been taking these high doses? That is another thing. The longer you take these high amounts is when you might build up too much of these. Sorry to ask so many questions but have to ask to get the answer for you!

Old 07-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
(female)

smakmom7 HB User

I have been taking the fish oil for 5 months now. I can't think of any odd things that I have had. As a Child I was pretty healthy, as a adult I do have a problem with having constapation and getting bloted if I don't use something to help me go. Also have a few female problems like gaining 5-10 pounds of water around that time and getting migranes. Been thinking about getting thoses female things taken out! I forgot what it was called but I got the inside of my uterus burned with 180 degree water to keep from bleeding 3 weeks out of the month. It has caused my period to go back to normal but I still have very bad cramps, the water weight gain and migranes. My husband knows he is gonna not have me in good working condition for 2-5 days out of a month! Don't know if that would related to the getting cold, those are the only abnormal things I have.

Closed Thread