It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

tigrrlily0404 HB User
Diagnosed w/ Raynaud's Syndrome and Narcolepsy...underlying thyroid disorder?

I don't know a lot about thyroid conditions, but a friend recently mentioned some of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid while we were talking about other medical issues. I am very sensative to the cold (I have a space heater under my desk year round), and often have issues w/ circulation in my fingers, toes, and bottoms of my feet. The doctor told me this was Raynaud's syndrome, which is common in woman, and while it can be uncomfortable and kind of a pain, it's generally harmless. I was also recently diagnosed with narcolepsy (excessive sleepiness). First, would an underactive thyroid cause poor circulation or just sensativity to cold? Do the combination of these symptoms seem like they might be the result of a thyroid condition? Maybe the narcolepsy was misdiagnosed?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
(female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User
I was diagnosed as being hypo 2 months ago, but have had problems with low body temp, sensitivity to cold, and poor circulation for several years, all due to my thyroid. It was my understanding that narcolepsy meant you could fall asleep while doing anything, even in the middle of a conversation. To me, this is different than just being tired all the time. If it really is narcolepsy, I don't know anything about that. But as for being exhausted, I know the feeling. That's been my complaint for the last 5 years. Good luck getting answers. Others on here probably will be able to help more, but that's just my 2 cents worth.

Ok, I just did a little bit of looking on Raynaud's. Below is a link to the Mayo Clinic site. It says, "Raynaud's has also been linked to an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)..."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433/DSECTION=3

Ok, more research. I promise I'm done after this . Once again, Mayo Clinic, but this time on narcolepsy. "Research continues to focus on whether an abnormal gene may be responsible for narcolepsy or if the body's immune system may be involved in mistakenly attacking hypocretin-producing cells in the brain." So it might be autoimmune. If you have Hashi's hypo, that would put you at a greater risk of another autoimmune disorder.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcolepsy/DS00345/DSECTION=3

Last edited by moderator2; 09-14-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread