It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #1

coldfeet HB User
Unhappy raynauds and foot ulcers

For about 2 months I have had these painful subcutaneous red and purple marks on the bottoms of my toes, and on the ball of my feet.My feet are also very swollen, and a purple blue color a lot of the time. I went to 2 rheumi's, both of whom said I have Raynauds, and gave me Prednisone 20mg, and Procardia 30mg. The swelling went down, but my feet are still bluish purple, and the marks are still there. I don't have another appointment until next month. Is it only me, or isn't it bad to have purple feet?? These doc's don't seem to be too worked up about it. My friend suggested I see a vascular surgeon. My blood tests were okay last time. Yesterday, they took new ones. The ulcers are sooo painful. Help!!! Does anyone else have this problem??

Old 02-06-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
Inactive

Denise F HB User
I'm not sure I would wait another month. Maybe you
could call the Dr.'s office and speak to the nurse.
She could tell you if you should be seeing better
results yet or to wait a little longer. Are your
ulcers open sores? You may have to see a Dr. who
specializes in helping sores to heal. I think they
use some kind of oxygen chamber. Sorry, I don't
have more info. But I would certainly talk to the
nurse. If for nothing else but peace of mind.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 07:34 AM   #3

coldfeet HB User
Smile

Dear Denise,
Thank you for replying. My sores are under the skin- you can see them thru the skin, and the burn. The rheumi said there may be infarcts - it think that's dead skin - didn't like the sound of that. I'm going to call the nurse. My friend whose a nurse said I should go see a vascular surgeon, because it could be vasculitis. I made an appt. with him. It's before my next rheumi appt. Maybe he'll know more. Thanks again!!!

Old 02-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #4

MAN WITH LUPUS HB User
Smile

Hi Coldfeet

Yes I have this problem you don't need to see a vascular Dr. your dr. should already know that with Lupus comes Raynods and Bad circulation to your feel and hand that s why your fingurea and hands are blue and purple. Bundle up stay warm dress in layers of clothing and socks. The raynods is brought on by bad circulation to feet and hands in your feet you probably have (Vanus Insufishence)ask your Dr. about a medication called (Pletal) its to help your Circulation in your Legs. Also ask about a MED called (Nefediphine)This is the MED to treat Raynodsthats a Faq Too. In the mean time wear gloves keep warm at night wear nice wool socks cold is what triggers the raynods to break out. Ask your Dr. If hee doesn't have a clue I'll let him consult with my Dr.

Just listen out for Swolen ankls, Adema you want to avoid those symptoms.

Take care hope this helps

Sal
Quote:
Originally posted by coldfeet:
For about 2 months I have had these painful subcutaneous red and purple marks on the bottoms of my toes, and on the ball of my feet.My feet are also very swollen, and a purple blue color a lot of the time. I went to 2 rheumi's, both of whom said I have Raynauds, and gave me Prednisone 20mg, and Procardia 30mg. The swelling went down, but my feet are still bluish purple, and the marks are still there. I don't have another appointment until next month. Is it only me, or isn't it bad to have purple feet?? These doc's don't seem to be too worked up about it. My friend suggested I see a vascular surgeon. My blood tests were okay last time. Yesterday, they took new ones. The ulcers are sooo painful. Help!!! Does anyone else have this problem??

Old 02-20-2003, 09:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

It might also be a good idea to see a podiatrist. Some of them are trained in treating foot ulcers and other leg wounds (mostly just below the knee). My mom goes to a diabetic wound care clinic. She does not have Reynauds, but from her diabetes she has several wounds on her feet and lower leg that have been very difficut to heal. She has been seeing a Podiatrist there who specializes in wound care and he has been able to successfully treat her problems. Especially if you have Reynauds and your feet are cold and painful, you want to make sure that you still have good circulation in your feet and a Podiatrist can check for that. You also want to make sure that you still have good sensation in your feet and that you are able to notice any new sores or ulcers that form. Sometimes if your feet are this cold you might lose some feeling in them and not be able to tell when you have stepped on something, when you have a sore, etc... Whenever you have a foot problem it is always good to be checked by a podiatrist from time to time.

Closed Thread