It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

mischa911 HB User
Living with primary raynauds

Hi, New to the boards.

I was diagnosed with primary raynauds this past winter but i've had it since i was about 14 (i'm 28 now). It's progressively gotten worse over the years and i have to say i really hate winter I have it in both my hands and my feet, all of my fingers and toes are affected. In the winter i think i average about 6-8 attacks per day, more if i'm outside. It's painful, incredibly so.

I know it's summer now, at least in Ohio it is, and i'm searching for some relief for when the winter comes along. I'm not on any medication for it as my blood pressure is too low.

Aside from looking for some relief in from the cold i'm looking for fellow sufferers who know what it's like, people around me seem to think i blow it out of proportion and it can't possibly be as bad as i make it out to be, how wrong they are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Living with primary raynauds

First off, have gloves handy at all times and keep a sweater handy if you go to and from air conditioning. Have you spoken to a rheumatologist about other medications to use besides the traditional calcium channel blockers? As a side note, they often don't work for Primary sufferers anyway. I, too live in the north so I know winters can be tough, but sometimes I think summers can be just as bad. Always wear layers so you can add or remove to get the best core temperature for yourself. Those little chemical hand warmer packets are great to keep close by all year round. Oh, and wool and/or silk socks are great and you must be careful to make sure that the tops of your socks/ wrists of your gloves are not binding or too tight. That can cut circulation down even further, making the attacks worse. I do not touch ice, even for cold drinks in the summer. Tongs, family or gloves, lol. Same for coolers and freezers in the grocery stores. People may look at you funny but it sure beats the the pain from the attacks. Sometimes it (the pain) gets so bad that I can't stand touching the lint screen in my dryer and have to use gloves for that! I know how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply