It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Raynaud's Syndrome Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
(female)

AppleJelly HB User
Is this normal for Raynaud's?

It has been several years since I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's. I don't take any medication for it and I simply just live with it. I believe it is pretty mild at this point.

I work as a cook in a seniors home. Several of my coworkers are working from the nursing point of view. So they see some of my health problems and they sort of try and figure out what is wrong with me.

Lately they have been telling me that it looks like I have just stuck my hands in pots of really hot liquid. My hands are swollen and red. They feel very painful too. While at work it hurts to use my hands. While at home now they are not swollen and they are a normal flesh tone now. They are also cool to the touch. My family at home always comments that my hands are always cold here at home. I do have a crack on my knuckle that doesn't seem to be healing for some reason.

The weather where I live is wintertime. It can get very windy as we live at the base of some mountains in the foothills. We actually set the record for wind in our country right in our area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
Re: Is this normal for Raynaud's?

Were you diagnosed with primary or secondary Raynaud's? Have you been evaluated for any other circulatory problem? I would certainly revisit this issue with a physician because poor circulation can lead to other problems, such as ulcers that don't want to heal. I live in a cold climate going into winter too and it sounds like you need to stop the attacks before they start, and please note that not every one needs medication to do so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
(female)

AppleJelly HB User
Re: Is this normal for Raynaud's?

Thank you for your reply. I honestly can't remember if I was diagnosed with primary or secondary. I just remember them testing me for a whole lot of things and then they told me that it was just simply Raynaud's, when all those tests turned out negative. My doctor at the time told me the solution was to move to Africa (the doctor thought that was pretty funny, cause she was from Africa!). I had been working way up north in the winter and that is what seemed to have brought it on. The doctor thought it was pretty neat that my hands matched up exactly the hands in her medical book.

In the past I have asked about my hands to my current doctor. She told me there wasn't much more she could do for me. She has already tried me on many of the medications that they give for Raynaud's. Those medications have not worked at all. She did mention a surgery but, she won't let me go that route.

I was just wondering if it is normal for hands to go that red, puffy and painful at work. Usually my hands are just really cold, dry, and have lost circulation.

Reply Reply