It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2003, 06:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User
Quick Question Re: Rapid Cycling Body temp

Hi all, I hope ya'll had a Wonderful Christmas!

I wanted to ask if anyone has ever had rapid cycling body temp changes. I go from freezing cold to (literally) sweaty hot every 10 - 20 minutes and have been doing this for the past 2 1/2 days, and it's driving me ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!

I am not running a fever (my temp has not been unusually warm or cold when taken), my blood pressure is fine, I am not sick, & feel fine otherwise (considering)... I had a bad pain day yesterday, but it's more back to normal today. I have not changed a thing with my meds.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, how did you stop it or how long did it take for it to stop??!!! It's driving me, and my kids, crazy! I will call my doc on Monday and get complete labs run on me, but until then there's not much else I can do.

Thanks a Gazillion!
Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: Quick Question Re: Rapid Cycling Body temp

Hi woot-head,

I don't really have a reply for you. I do have fluxuations in temp, but never that fast. Most of the time, I'm hot. Sorry you had a bad pain day on Christmas. I didn't have a much better day, but you'll read about that soon enough. Talk to you soon.

Sharon :cat-head:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2003, 09:32 PM   #3

xtanner HB User
Re: Quick Question Re: Rapid Cycling Body temp

Cathy,
I go thru that for weeks at a time. It can be 85 and my teeth will be chattering or 60 and be stripping clothes off! It goes in cycles, a few weeks like this and then a few weeks of "normal". I used to sleep with a spray bottle of water next to the bed so when I would wake up on fire I would spray myself down to cool off. It is the most uncomfortable, miserable thing to go through. I have had to stop wearing makeup because I hate it running off of my face! Just something else to deal with. Good luck, Shelley

Old 12-27-2003, 03:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

I'm sorry your Christmas wasn't so great Tulelah Belle, but at least you know you weren't alone I'll try to get on the board tomorrow to read some. I hope you're feeling better.

Shelley, when you cycle from hot to cold, it is every 10 - 20 minutes from hot to cold, for WEEKS at a time??!! I've always cycled, but NEVER like this. It *is* very miserable, and thruthfully, I'd rather be running a fever cause then I'd know it would stop soon. ARGH! I got a little better for a bit earlier this evening, and fell asleep in front of the TV for a little while. My sweet 10yo came and turned off all the lights and the TV for me, and locked up the parrot in her cage for the night (1, 2, 3... awwww ). But now I'm back to the rapid cycling again, I feel like I have early onset temperature bipolar disorder. It makes it so difficult to sleep (wah wah wah, I know, I'm sorry!).

I hope you all are faring okay,
Wanita Cremello Woot-Head

Old 12-27-2003, 02:55 PM   #5

saluki HB User
Post Re: Quick Question Re: Rapid Cycling Body temp

Cathy,
I don't even know how to approach this one since I know of no ones age on here.
In May of this year I went through two months like that
but hey I was going thru chemo and apparently was having
what they call chemopause. I was nuts. Had had every ten 15 minutes.
Anyway if its not a peri meno thing. Could it possibly be
medicine related? They prescribe neuronton for hot flashes
as well as some of the anti-depressants.--Just wondering if they could be playin with your hormones?
In the bloodwoork are they going to do an FSH and estradiol, and a TSH.
As a result of chemo I like to get all the blood over in one go.

Is there no end of stuff this condition affects. I'm still going from sweating to freezing a few times a day but it never occured to me that it could be from this.

On a completely different matter as I am a novice on this board
I can't understand that at the top it says private messages.
Are they allowed or not? Also, do we have to handtype any
article that we think might be of interest or can we give the web address if the article has an edu/or .org ?.
I'm completely confused.
Also, a while back I could see if anyone else was online-now I can't. Did I do something?
Ok my meds are kicking in and the rambling will start.

So a Happy, HEALTHY, and pain free or pain tolorable year to you all with the hope of much support from your loved ones.
Fondly, Susie L

Old 12-27-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
Veteran

dayton HB User

Cathy, I experienced this myself. Mike says at night I drive him crazy. One minute I'm burrowing under the covers right up against him, the next, I'm drenched in sweat and laying on top of the bed. This mostly happened oh about the first 6 months but now I don't do it much anymore.

Now I have periods of what I call flushing sensations. It seems like my entire body goes right to burning sensation from the top of my head to my feet.

It's really wierd. Like someone poured hot water in me.

Dang, this is frustrating. Everyone is different, I mean totally different.

Wish they would find a cure. Where are those dang researchers anyway.

Old 12-27-2003, 05:41 PM   #7

treehorn18 HB User

I always thought it was my hormones not my RSD? I go through this temp thing constantly. I use to wear makeup but no more I sweat so much, I carry a towel with me to dry off with. I'm new here, but so sorry you're having a rough time.

Alex

Old 12-27-2003, 08:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Everyone,

Cathy, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. That was so sweet of you little boy to take care of you like that.

Susie, I noticed that you can tell when someone's on by looking at the check mark at the bottom of a post. If it's lit up, I think that means they're on. I just noticed this last week, but it seems to be accurate. They took away the other thing where they told us who was on at a given time. You can't sent pms. I guess it's disabled. Hope this helped a little.

Old 12-28-2003, 12:23 AM   #9

Aly B HB User

Hi Cathy,

Sorry you haven't been feeling well I always cycle in temps, but usually not that quickly over a prolonged period. Maybe you should go and have your hormone levels checked. All these drugs we are on can do nasty things to our bodies.. in a way I am glad that I am resistant to all the pain kilelrs I have tried so far. Oral morphine (not sure about intrathecal) can cause early onset menopause (not sure if you are on this, but thought I would mention it)

I hope you are feeling better soon.. missing you.

*luv and hugz from oz*

:joker:

Aly

Old 12-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies. It seems I have the flu now. A non-RSD friend of mine had the same thing happen to him for 2 days - rapid temp cycling with no fever - then he started with a high fever. I've stopped the rapid cycling and seem to be back to my normal hot/cold cycling, but my throat is very sore and my sinuses feel like they are trying to make my nose fall off. I've been running a slight temp, but nothing bad.

I had a total abdomenal hysterectomy (uterus, tubes and ovaries), and do take hormones since my body can't make them itself. I do want to get these levels checked with my bloodwork that i want my doc to do, but I think that I was rapid cycling because of the flu, like my friend did. I am so glad it has gone back to "normal." (I take tylox Aly, and use duragesic patches for bad flare-ups).

Alex, welcome to the forum, and thank you for your reply too. This is a great place to come for information, support, and to vent if you need to get something off of your chest. Everyone here is great, they're my second family really, and they are more understanding than my real family is because we know what each of us go through first hand, where my real family doesn't, though they do try for the most part (to give them credit), and they do help me with things when I can't do them. It's just that if you don't have RSD, you have no clue what someone with it has to deal with on a daily basis, but I'm sure you already know this. I hope you get alot of support from your family.

What part(s) of your body is/are affected with the monster Alex? It's in my left hand and wrist. Do you have a good pain management doc, and is he/she an anesthesiologist? How long have you had RSD? Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of the MVA that injured my hand, but I'm not exacly sure when the RSD started, but I do think it was within the first 8 weeks the more I think about it.

Anyway, I've babbled on enough (me? ). Thank you all again, and I am sorry for those of you that had a painful Christmas too. I hope the flu stays away from you all, it's so miserable on top of the RSD symptoms! (wah, wah, wah...)
Welcome again Alex, I look forward to talking with you more.
<Hugs>
Cathy, aka: Woot-Head

Old 12-28-2003, 05:03 PM   #11

Lindaa HB User

Cathy,
Sorry to hear that you have the flu. That must be really bad on top of the rsd. I was going to tell you that I have temp changes, too. I just thought it was part of the rsd or drugs. Should I say Unhappy Anniversary? I know these onset dates will stick in our minds forever. I hope you get over the flu soon.
Hugs & prayers,
Linda

Old 12-28-2003, 08:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Wanita Cremello,

Sorry you have the flu, but I bet you're relieved that it isn't the RSD because at least now, there's an end in sight. That's how I would feel anyway. I've missed you so much. I've been really out of it lately because of what happened on Christmas. I still don't know what happened. I'm going to my doc's tomorrow. They think it was my blood sugar, but I'm not in the least convinced. I'll let you know what happens. Feel better.

Sharon :Tulelah Belle:

Old 12-28-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

hey Linda, Thank you, and yes, Unhappy anniversary it is, lol. I always have temp changes, but not every 10 - 20 minutes, it was miserable!

Sharon, what happened to you on Christmas? Did you already put it in a thread, and if so, which one? It sounds bad from what you've said. And yes, I never thought I'd actually be happy to have the flu, but like you said, at least I know the rapid cycling will come to an end, which it already has. <Whew!>

I'm gonna try to read another thread or 2 before i get to bed. I hope you all have a pain tolerable night, and I hope you feel better Sharon.

<Hugs>
Cathy

Old 12-28-2003, 09:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi woot-head,

The problem is I can't remember if I told you or not so I'll do it here. I don't remember a lot of what happened, but from what everyone has told me, we sat down to dinner (which I don't even remember doing) and I just sat there. I was shaking and God knows what else happened, but they wound up calling the ambulance and I went to the ER. They're assuming it was my blood sugar since I have diabetes, but I'm not so sure at all. I've had diabetes for over 20 years and I know my body to a tee! I know when my blood is going low. I really don't think this was a low blood sugar. They called my doc from the ER and he ordered a CAT scan because of the memory problems. That was normal. I really don't know what happened. I know one thing...I bit my tongue and mouth in a couple of places. My sister said that I was clenching down and wouldn't drink any of the juice they were trying to give me (since they thought it was my blood sugar). I'm totally clueless right now. Hopefully, I'll know more tomorrow when I see my doc. I'll let you know. Feel better.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:21 AM   #15

Lindaa HB User

Sharon,
That is awful - going to the ER on Christmas! It's bad enough to go any other day. I bet your family was really scared. I bet you feel bad for getting sick - we tend to feel guilty when we do on holidays. I hope you feel better now & that they find out what caused it. My flare-up was due to stress & overactivity. I looked fine physically - just felt awful. Let us know when you get the results of the scan. I hope it's nothing bad.
Hugs & prayers,
Linda

Closed Thread