It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 12:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User
SURGICAL (Nerve) RESECTION AND RSD

everyone. There's been a couple of people on here recently who's docs want to cut their nerves and bury them in their muscle . I found this article regarding the subject and thought ya'll might want to read it. Hope it helps.

<Hugs>
Cathy

------------------------
RSD PUZZLE #101
"SURGICAL RESECTION AND RSD"

Question:
I had a nerve resection in March 1997, my foot pain is worse, horrendous. Will it ever calm down?
Betty
-----
Answer:
Dear Betty,
As early as the 1950's and 1960's the medical researchers extensively covered the subject of surgical resection and cutting of the nerves for relief of pain. The medical researchers proved that these surgical treatments almost always aggravate the pain and suffering. They result in the formation of neuromas, which are a bundle of twisted nerves at the edge of the area where the nerve has been cut. The neuroma is due to growth of the cut nerve into the scar of surgery. This forms the bundle of abnormally grown nerves, which becomes extremely sensitive. The end result is practically always the patient becoming much worse. In the case of RSD type of pain, it is one of the commonest causes of CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome / RSD) to spread to other regions of the body. This spread commonly is manifested as it spreads from the arm, to the neck, to the occipital region of the head, causing severe occipital neuralgia, or vice versa. In other cases, the spread causes the CRPS to expand from the leg to the arm on the same side or the opposite side.

In the past 5-10 years, a new generation of pain managers, who have not had any neurosurgical training, have resurrected these operations with obvious disastrous results.

These operations consist of the nerve resection that they did in your case, called neurectomy. These operations are frequently done by podiatrists for removal of a "Neuroma," which is usually an imaginary diagnosis because the biopsy sample of the surgical removal, instead of showing Neuroma, usually shows nothing but the inflammation of RSD. Other forms are neurotomy, rhizotomy, phenol and alcohol block, and radio frequency surgery.

The only form of these operations that provide temporary relief, and only temporary relief, is rhizotomy in the patients that have brachial plexus injury and pain. Even that operation will not have any long standing beneficial effect.

Please make sure that your doctor does not try to keep cutting upward on the rest of the trunk of the same nerve. The results are going to be absolutely disastrous.

H. Hooshmand, M.D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 02:37 AM   #2

Gina2005 HB User
Re: SURGICAL (Nerve) RESECTION AND RSD

Hi Cathy

Thank you for posting this! One of my docs has suggested this as a possible option on a nerve with documented damage from surgery but I have always been a bit leary of it. After reading this, I know it's not worth the risk at all.

Gina

Old 02-24-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
(female)

rosarally HB User
Re: SURGICAL (Nerve) RESECTION AND RSD

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for that information. I had my sural nerve cut and buried in my muscle in my leg. That is when the RSD pain got unbearable. Did not know when I had it done that I already had RSD from the previous surgery on my achilles. Now my whole calf is sore. Cannot stand to shave my leg there. Have to be careful not to hit it. Of course, it is on the outside of my leg. Hope everyone here is having a pain free or at least a day you can stand the pain! Thanks again to everyone that has given me info since joining this great group!!!
Rose

Closed Thread