It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Question RSD/MS/Autoimmune disorders

Hi everyone,
A few of us started talking about this topic in another thread so I thought I should start a new one with this subject.

Basically, we are wondering if there is a connection between RSD, MS and other autoimmune disorders. My daughter and my mother both have MS. I've had a couple of suspicious events myself, but not enough to raise any alarms at this point. I also have an autoimmune thyroid disorder called Hashimoto's disease.

I'm very curious if anyone else has seen a correlation between autoimmune disorders and RSD or has read anything about it. I know it doesn't matter as far as treatment goes - it's more just a curiosity thing.

Thanks,

Julie

Old 03-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: RSD/MS/Autoimmune disorders

Hi Julie,

I don't know of any lit, but I do remember my former doc telling me that some docs believe that RSD is an auto-immune disease. I also have Hashimoto's and Type I diabetes which are both auto-immune. Who knows? Do you take Synthroid? That's what I've been taking. Very interesting.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2004, 08:04 PM   #3
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Re: RSD/MS/Autoimmune disorders

Hi Sharon,
I knew you were diabetic, but I didn't know you were hypothyroid, too. It is interesting. But actually, Hashimoto's is not that uncommon in women. I take Levoxyl because it is available in the 137mcg dosage and Synthroid is not. I've been stable there for about 9 months now. I'm glad it's finally under control.

Take care,
Julie

Last edited by Jewel2; 03-01-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:17 PM   #4

Lindaa HB User

Hi Julie,

I've asked my doctors if there is a connection between the RSD & MS. All of them have told me no. Since they both affect the myelin on the nerves, I was wondering if there was a connection.

Linda

Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #5

jokehakk HB User

hello everyone, I asked my neurologist this question also and he said no. Due to Rsd most oftens comes from a injury. I was worried because my mom has fibromyagia and sjoren's syndrome. She was recently dx about 5 years with both. I hope thats theres no connection between rsd and ms. My doctor told me also that any type of knee surgery has a high % rate of rsd. This board is very helpful. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:48 AM   #6
Inactive

RSD_Angel HB User

Good morning,

I also have hypothyroidism and I am taking Synthroid 0.125 mg, ihavent asked my PMD but i have a friend that is a OB/GYN and a general phyisician and he sees a link between developing auto immune disorders after a diganoiss of RSD. He also siad its more likely if the person has has or has rsd for more then a year to put a link to any auto diseases, but he suggested that i get tested for all of them bc he says bc of my history already with the thyroid and now the rsd, and endometriosis and PCOS, which are all auto immun. disorders.. I dont have the list of all the tests right in front of me but if you all want me to, i will post them so you can ask your doc's??

Old 03-02-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Bryn,
I would love to see a list of all of the tests if it's not too much trouble. I figured there would be varying opinions amongst the doctors. I thought it would be interesting to actually see how many of us have other autoimmune disorders. BTW, what is PCOS?

Take care,
Julie

Old 03-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #8

xtanner HB User

Autoimmune is an interesting thought...who knows what a little more research will yeild on the subject. RSD/knee injuries? I've heard that a lot. Funny though, after 4 knee surgeries over the years I got RSD from hitting my wrist on a chair! - Shelley

Old 03-02-2004, 09:24 AM   #9
Inactive

RSD_Angel HB User

PCOS is Poly cystic ovarian syndrome, is goes and in hand with Endometriosis and leads to infertility.

These are the tests that my doc friend wants me to get:

Gullian Barre
ANA/Lupus
Thyroid antibodies
Serum Protein Electrophoresis
ANCA
RA
PTH
Serum Calcium
and any auto immune studies including Complement and immunoglobins
CBC with differential
and all the hormone tests
Clotting time

Hope these help ya... if you have any questions about these let me knw..

Old 03-02-2004, 06:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: RSD/MS/Autoimmune disorders

Hi Guys,

Very interesting.

Sharon

Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #11

Lindaa HB User

This is getting really interesting. My sister has MS and my cousin had Gullian Barre. I started breaking out in weird rashes a year and a half ago (still do). Went to 2 dermatologists & they didn't know what it was. Could this be indicative of an auto-immune disease?
Hugs & prayers,
Linda

Old 03-02-2004, 09:20 PM   #12
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User

Hi Linda,
A quick search on 'rash' and 'autoimmune' brought up a bunch of sites. Below is a short excerpt from one of them.

Autoimmune disorders — This category includes systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus), dermatomyositis and scleroderma, disorders in which the body's immune defenses mistakenly attack healthy areas of the body, including the skin.

Of course there are many things that cause rashes, with just some of them being autoimmune in origin. How far did you pursue the rash with your doctors? Is it getting any worse? I'm sorry to hear that you have one more thing to deal with, as if RSD wasn't enough!

Take care,
Julie

Old 03-03-2004, 10:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Hi guys. I didn't know that endometriosis and polycystic overies were auto-related. That's 2 of the reasons I had my hysterectomy, which left me unable to walk for almost 3 years from pinched (or so we think) nerves that ran from my groin down my right leg and into my "bikini" area. (It also started to get pretty bad on the left side too after a while). I had several RSD type symptoms -extreme hypersensitivity (I could not wear panties cause it was too painful), my body temp was way off (it was 85 degrees outside and I was freezing and was wearing a heavy winter coat-outside, unaware that it was really hot out!), unbearable pain.... I had several docs tell me the pain was in my head (um, NO!). It took 2 surgeries to release my facia, and within 6 months of each surgery (they were a year apart, first the right side, then the left), I started getting better.

It took 4 years, but I was able to walk again, and to return to work, until the MVA that injured my hand and lead to RSD in my hand and wrist. The more I think about it, the more I think the hysterectomy is what messed up my sympathetic nervous system (did I possibly have RSD back in 1994?), but could it all be related to what caused me to have the hysterectomy in the first place? Also, my maternal grandmother died of lupus (she did not have any symptoms until she tripped when she was in her 70's, and then she went into the hospital and never came out. She was healthy and very active until she tripped). Could this be hereditary also? Could we somehow be predisposed to RSD? The questions are endless, the answers are few and far between.

May you all have a pain tolerable night.
Cathy

okay, that was messed up. the paragraph was all mixed up and garbled and didn't make any sense.

Last edited by Horsie Nutt; 03-06-2004 at 05:11 AM.

Old 03-05-2004, 11:10 AM   #14

Lindaa HB User

Hi Julie,
The rash comes & goes. Right now it is here. Clobetasol seems to help. It doesn't itch & one of the dermatologists did a biopsy & said it wasn't malignant. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it.

I read last night that gluten intolerance is an auto-immune thing. Some people think that it might be gluten intolerance and not RSD in some cases. I gave up gluten for 5 months (still don't eat much of it) & it didn't make a difference with me.

Hopefully, some day soon, someone will figure out more about RSD. In the meantime, I don't discount anything.

Hugs & prayers,
Linda

Old 03-06-2004, 05:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Hey Linda, I'm very glad to hear that your rash is not malignant, and I'm glad you have found some medicine that helps. I hope it goes away soon.

<Hugs>
Cathy

Closed Thread