It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 12:51 PM   #1

jokehakk HB User
Question Dextromethorphan Med Issues

Hello everybody, I was wondering if anyone seen Dateline on TV 3-26-04, and the issue about dextromethorphan. I guess the claim is, people are somehow misusing the drug and it has caused 12 deaths.
Its a common ingredient in over the counter cough medicine. My doctors prescribed this for me to help desensatize the nervous system.

This med has helped my rsd from becoming worse, and I have had no issues with the med.

People should realize any medication whether over the counter or prescribed by a doctor, if not taken directly as written, it could cause a overdose.

Lets not blame the medication, BUT BLAME THE PERSON WHO IS MISUSING IT.

Old 03-27-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
Inactive

Jewel2 HB User
Re: Dextromethorphan Med Issues

Thanks for the info and the warning! I didn't know it could help desensitize the nervous system. How long did you have to take it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Hi jokehakk. I didn't see the show you're talking about. You are very correct though... people who misuse medications do cause medical (drug) problems, even fatalities. It is a shame.

I'm glad the medication is helping you. How long and how often do you take it? I haven't heard of it's use with RSD until now. I'd love to learn more about it.

Cathy

Old 03-29-2004, 06:36 AM   #4

jokehakk HB User

Hi, I take dextromethorphan 100 mg three times a day. You start out on a smaller dose and its increased gradually. I've been on it for 6 months. You need a script for it and its a special compound, so you have to find a pharmacy that can make it. It hasn't caused my any issues. Your body has to get use to the med and that takes a couple weeks while its increased.

My neurologist prescribed it. Take care.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Horsie Nutt HB User

Thanks jokehakk. I might discuss this with my doc's PA tomorrow to see if she's ever heard of it. My psychiatrist just added 2 more meds today for me to take (one cost over $5 a pill! Thank heavens he had a month's worth of samples for me), so I am not interested in starting another new med right now, but maybe in the future if the neurointin isn't helping me anymore, it might be something I can try.

Take care,
Cathy

Old 03-30-2004, 06:40 AM   #6

jokehakk HB User

Horsie Nutt, hello

WHO ARE YOUR DOCTORS IN PA? I LIVE IN PA, AND SEE DOCTORS IN PHILADELPHIA,PA. JUST CURIOUS, GOOD LUCK AT YOUR APPOINTMENT. I AGREE WITH THE MED COST, I THINK MY MEDS ARE AROUND $1000. A MONTH RIGHT NOW, THOUGHT GOODNESS I GOT INSURANCE BECAUSE I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET THEM IF I DIDN'T HAVE IT. TAKE CARE, DO YOU LIKE HORSES? MY MOM HAS HORSES(TENN. WALKERS),

Old 03-30-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: Dextromethorphan Med Issues

Hi joke,

Cathy (HorsieNutt) lives in Florida and she loves horses. She can give you the lowdown on her little farm. I just wanted to answer your question about where she lives. God knows when she'll be back to answer your questions (Just kidding, wootie!-Cathy-HorsieNutt).

Sharon

Old 04-03-2004, 10:14 PM   #8

saluki HB User

Hi Joke,
Just wanted to thankyou for the info.on the dextromethorphan. I'm going to discuss it with my pain management Doc. We've aso made an agreement that he would be the only Doc to prescribe any meds for the RSD. It sounds like we are on alot of the same meds. I couldn't get by without the zanaflex.

just a warning on zonegran. I see a few people are taking it. It does
contain sulfa, so if you get any strange rashes--get to your Doc.
I had an autoimmune reaction to a sulfa drug and it took years to calm down.

Wishing all a less pain night- fondly, Susie L

Closed Thread