It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
Inactive

KateInAustralia HB User
Jaw/teeth/head pain

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone has similar problems to me.

I have daily problems with jaw pain, teeth pain and migraines starting in my temples and behind my eyes, then aching lowdown at the back of my head just where my neck joins (if you know what I mean!).

Now, some of these did start before my rsd started but only rarely.

I'm unsure whether they are RSD related, or not.

My wisdom teeth came through on wonky angles and I think they may be the cause of my jaw pain and migraines, and my husband thinks so, but I'm wondering whether they aren't, as I know TMJ and RSD are closely related.

He thinks I should just go to the dentist and get my teeth out, but hey! I don't want more pain- I admit I'm scared of the dentist, but my RSD was started by a needle so I don't want any in my mouth! I think he gets concerned that I'm too keen to link things to RSD.

BUT if the pain is due to the RSD, then it would be unnecessary for me to get my teeth (2 upper wisdom teeth) taken out. It might even spread the rsd - I don't want that!

Do others suffer from regular migraines, pain behind their eyes, jaw pain etc? It's so hard to know whether they are linked to my rsd or if they are separate problems.

Any input would be great!

x Kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
Inactive

RSD_Angel HB User
Re: Jaw/teeth/head pain

I do get bad head aches, i gues you can call them migraines also since having RSD. I had bad head aches before RSD, but like you they were very rare to hit me, but now that I have had RSD i have been getting migraines alot more freq. now. I had jaw pain in the past but my jaww pain was due to my wisdom teeth, so it might be a combination of both the wisdom teeth and the headaches due to RSD...?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 09:59 AM   #3

TUBA HB User

I have had terrible headaches, from the neck to behind my eyes- and jaw-pain due to CRPS, I believe, was never there before.

I would not let anyone do anything invasive without very stronge proof of neceacity(spl?). Even a blood-work needle make me in a flare. And to pull out your theeth is invasive!

Have you been to the dentist for X-ray's etc. first to see if there is a reason for the pain? Even with CRPS we may have a lot of the other illnesses you know, so go and check it out anyway.

T

Old 08-31-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Eveyone!
I'm glad that Kate brought up the RSD & dental pain. I've had nothing but problems with my teeth since I've had RSD. I had to have an emergency root canal in 1/2003, & I've had nothing but problems with that tooth on the left w/ other teeth on the left. RSD is on my left upper extremity. RSD can spread to the teeth & is myofacial pain. I wouldn't advise anyone to have their teeth pulled or root canal unless absolutely, medically necessary, or you will be running into all kinds of dental problems, medical problems w/RSD, along with huge dental bills.
I have a friend here who has RSD in the right lower extremity, & spreading up into the right extremity for 10 years now. In the last 2 years, she has lost 12 teeth & she's on medicaid which won't cover dental, but now her doctor's are saying it's a medical condition, cause she only has 2 teeth that she can chew with.Her teetth are rotten & seriously decayed, & just looking at them makes you wanna cringe She's lost even more weight, & barely weighs 90 pounds! I think the RSD & teeth problems are related, & I found a site that links the 2. Too bad I can't post it.
I've always had migranes since the RSD & I know these 2 are related. But with a neck injury, depending on where your inital injury sight is, you can have dental, vision, & headache problems. But proving these along with the RSD is hard research, cause there just isn't much out there in the way of dental & RSD. Hope this helps everyone. Take care! Aloha Skooze

Last edited by Skooze; 08-31-2004 at 01:51 PM.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #5

gabby_b HB User

Hello! I've been having some pain with my teeth and jaw lately, too. I never had it before the RSD. I think I've figured out what mine stems from, though. I noticed that when I wake up from sleep, it's worse than any other time of day. I figured out why. I have been grinding my teeth in my sleep, evidently because of the pain I'm feeling from the RSD in my hand, while I'm sleeping. I do have the headaches a lot. One of the many symtoms of RSD is headaches, migraines, so I guess that's part of it. I thought it was interesting that you brought this up, though, because I just started doing the same things this past week. I'm going to do a search on the internet about RSD/teeth problems. I'll let you know if I find anything of interest!

Old 09-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Inactive

KateInAustralia HB User

Thanks Everyone

[ removed ]

I did have xrays and the dentist was kind of willing to take them out, but she didn't know anything about RSD and was reluctant to anything because of my pain meds, seemed a bit too complicated for her. So I wasn't convinced enough to go through with it.

The cost here isn't too bad. You can either do it under medicare, but not with the best dentists, for free. Or pay about $100 (about $80 US I think) per tooth. It'd be worth it if it got rid of the jaw pain and migraines, but I'm not convinced it will. I guess that's why I haven't done anything about it yet!

I think I'd want to do more research first (if there is any) before getting my teeth out. And find a dentist that knows what RSD is! Thanks for all your replies, even though this sucks for all of us, its good to know it is a common thing for us all.

x Kate

Last edited by moderator2; 09-01-2004 at 09:17 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:53 PM   #7

Sandson HB User

Like most of you in forum, I have been expereincing the awful feeling in face. What makes it bad, it shots up from my right hand to the side of my face. I hate had having to fight through the migranes. When I got my last check up in June of this year, my dentist stated that my teeth are fine and the complications with my jaw are caused by the RSD triggereing the sympathetic nervous system. Now, since I have my first had the block, things have gotten worse.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Sandson Oh my gosh, I just posted on the other thread of workers comp, & my RSD brain, I forgot that you posted here too. What I wanted to say there, you just said it here. After your first block things got worse. The same thing happened to me!!!! I had 2 nerve blocks in the neck in 11/02 & 12/2, & that's when my left tooth needed an "emergency root canal". The only reason I had the root canal done (1/03), was because it was in the front of my mouth, & I didn't want it to look bad when I opened my mouth to speak. i don't know which hurt more the root canal or the $750 that it cost with no dental insurance! That's too when I started having troubles will all my teeth hurting on the left (RSD side)! That's when all my optical headaches got really bad above my left eye. Yes that RSD is a mystery. WOW. You got me wondering now. Aloha Skooze

Old 09-08-2004, 08:54 PM   #9

sillygirl29 HB User

I have had a problem with migraines and severe TMJ problems prior to being diagnosed with RSD, but I have noticed they have been worse since then. In my case, I find myself clenching my teeth due to the discomfort more than I know I should be. In fact, I had to have surgery for my TMJ problems several years ago. Clenching your teeth, even at night when we aren't aware that we are doing it can lead to severe tooth and gum problems. The pain you are feeling behind your eyes, temple and neck could all be related to your jaw. One telltale sign to look for is a constant earache. Your wisdom could very well be some of the problem too. If you are able too, you may want to go see if a maxillofacial surgeon could at least give you a second opinion. But definitely make sure your wisdom teeth are the problem first. If by chance you are grinding or clenching your teeth, a mouth guard may help too. Just a thought. Good luck to you.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Hi sillygirl! You gave some good points about the teeth pain. I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 19. My dentists here, the rootcanal guy says that I need to have the root canal redone(at $750 is he crazy?) and poked the bottom tooth that hurts more, & I almost kicked him, & charged me $89 for that 10 minute exam. When I went back to my normal dentist, who didn't charge me, he said that I need to have a gaurd put in. When I asked my 12 year old daugther, who sleeps with me, she says mom you sleep with your mouth open. Why, she says should you buy a guard, when it would just fall out? My friend who has RSD & losing all of her teeth, can't find a dentist who knows anything about the 2 being related. I did a search of RSD and dental decay, & that's how I found this board. If anyone has found an answer of how the 2 are related please let us know. Maybe we all should try the dental problems on this board? Food for thought. Hope this helps all. Aloha Skooze

Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #11

sillygirl29 HB User

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post. I was actually in to see my dentist in July for a cleaning and gave him a list of my meds. He said I will have to be careful because some of them can cause tooth problems. It sounded like some of the meds actually cause your mouth to dry out, which can cause a lot of bacteria to build up on the teeth and gums. If someone has been on certain meds long enough, it may explain some of the decay problems at least.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:37 PM   #12

Sandson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl29
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post. I was actually in to see my dentist in July for a cleaning and gave him a list of my meds. He said I will have to be careful because some of them can cause tooth problems. It sounded like some of the meds actually cause your mouth to dry out, which can cause a lot of bacteria to build up on the teeth and gums. If someone has been on certain meds long enough, it may explain some of the decay problems at least.
Is it possible that you tell us what medicines that your dentist felt caused teeth decay.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Siillygirl! GOOD POINT! It's called Sjogrens Syndrome. This syndrome is caused by inflamation in the glands of the body. In the teeth, inflamation of the glands that produce saliva in the mouth leads to mouth dryness. Inflamation in the glands that produce tears lead to decreased water production for tears and eye dryness.90% of Sjogren's syndrome are female.
I've had vision problems as well as dental problems. Every year when I get my eyes checked I come out with a different prescription. Sometimes higher sometimes lower.ANYONE ELSE out there with vision problems too????
For teeth-inflamation in the salivary glands can lead to mouth dryness, swallowing difficulties, dental decay, gum disease, mouth sores & swelling, stones &/or infection of paratoid gland inside of the cheeks. For Eyes--the tear gland is inflamed resulting in eye dryness which can lead to eye irritation, decreased tear production, "gritty sensation", infection, & serious abrasion of the cornea.
Sjrogren's Syndrome is just another nasty side effect of RSD. Again more research needs to be done, because a syndrome is something the medical world calls when they don't know what it is. RSD used to be called RSDS--reflex sympatheic dystrophy syndrome--but now it's RSD ( w/o the s for syndrome. Hope this helps all, it's sad that it doesn't give us an answer. Maybe when they drop the "S" for syndrome there will be. Aloha Skooze

Old 09-14-2004, 10:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Sandson looks like you beat me to the punch by 2 minutes! I'll tell you what my meds are on their side effect sheets that cause mouth dryness. I know I drink alot of water day & night. I'll break mine down by teeth first than eyes.
TEETH:Xanax(dry throat) Remeron-anti depressant-(dry mouth)

EYES: Percocet, & Neurontin both with blurred vision & dry eyes.

I got those off my prescription side effect lists. Let's see what others are on. Maybe we can get somewhere to see which drugs are causing the problems of dry mouth & eyes.
Aloha Skooze

Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #15

sillygirl29 HB User

I'm taking Neurontin and naprosyn.

Closed Thread