It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

WandaT HB User
Hallelujah! Survived IME

I think I got really lucky - the IME dr. was very kind and gentle, didn’t hurt me a bit (or even try to). Each time before he touched my right foot/ankle/leg he showed me what he wanted to do on my good left leg first, and asked if he could do that with my right foot/ankle leg. Boy, was I glad!@!

He had me run through who I had seen so far and what they had done. When I finished, he asked if anyone had suggested lumbar sympathetic blocks! So he must at least be aware of RSD and the “regular” treatments. Told him that no one had said I should get the LSBs, most likely because they didn’t want to risk it with my severe allergies, and directed his attention to the page I had given them with all my allergies and types of reactions. His eyes sort of bugged out as he read, and then he said “I can see why!”. So, it sort of sounds like he does think I have RSD. He asked about what treatment I was getting now, and told him everything was on hold until after this appt. and workers comp gets his report...he rolled his eyes, grabbed his forehead and shook his head. That looked sort of encouraging (hehe).

So, guess I am one of the lucky ones! I was so relieved after reading all the horror stories of other’s IMEs. Don’t have any idea what his report will say...but am SOOOOO glad he didn’t hurt me or treat me meanly!!!

wanda

Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deepsouth HB User
Re: Hallelujah! Survived IME

Wanda,

I'm new to the board and love being able to ask questions about my RSD. I just wanted to ask you what does IME stand for? So glad that you were treated kindly and wish all doctors were that way. I've come across some stinkers trying to find out was was wrong with me. Thanks for sharing about your experience.

Sansy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 05:28 AM   #3
(female)

WandaT HB User

Hi Sansy,

IME stands for Independent Medical Examination. The workers comp insurer chooses and pays the “independent” doctor for a “second opinion”...even though I have already seen 6 different doctors. Under workers comp, you must go to this IME when asked.

Have heard some real horror stories of others’ awful IME experiences, both physical and mental. Was SOOO glad this dr. was kind and gentle!!! I understand it is very important to take a witness to forestall possible problems - I took my sister.

Sure wish some of my doctors were as gentle as this IME dr. was!

wanda

Old 10-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

Taylor's Gammie HB User

Hi Wanda..yes it's wonderful to make it through a IME exam it can be very fearful and stressful..I had my IME exam nearly a yr ago the Doctor was very kind and very much to the point that was at hand!! I had already been told by three other drs I had RSD but you got to follow the rules of workmans comp..The funny thing about the whole visit was his office was in Beverly Hills not a problem but it had been raining for days out here in ca so my partner and I thought we would leave early enough (4 hrs) and just take in some sites till the appointment..We got our dictions from mapquest and we were off and running! We'd be there in 40 mins For some reason mapquest gave us 3 different freeways to get on where as we only needed one as we found out later! I had thought it was weird but I had''nt been to Beverly Hills in 10 yrs so I just figured the freeways changed Wanda it took us 3 hrs to get there I had been in and out of the car a dozen times trying to find out where this freakin Doctors office was!! TALK ABOUT GETTING STRESSED!! By the time I finally got there and met with the doctor I was a mess!! hair was a reck!! In his report he refer to me as a 46 yr old ungroomed female!!! OMG!! anyways the point is the IME was very detailed in his exam and stressed in his report I get cousling ASAP in regrads to mental condition resulting in RSD. Now from what I understand once the IME sends his report to Workman's comp, WC is suppose to approve what ever treatments the IME request right away! I have only gotten two blocks as of two months ago and finally next week I will see a couslor for depression..I have no idea when I will get the 3rd block I need they denied it twice already..The new California WC laws are making it hard to get treatment right away so the result is at least in my case my condition has worstened and my chance of remission is very slim at this point..I hope your able to get your treatment right away I don't know about you but I was glad I went to see the IME and I'll go again if told to without fear this time!! Take care and hope your pain is low.
Mae

Closed Thread