It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

sequinqueen32 HB User
I am sooo condused, and looking for help!

Hello,
I have been in pain for 4 months....in my left foot, Stabbing, burning pain, that wakes me up at night. I had a stroke 10 years ago, and sprained that foot last summer. I got a doctor to prescribe Neurontin for me, but that has not decreased the pain...My Neurologist sais that I don't have RSD, but all signs point to RSD...Can you all that have been diagnosed with this help me, I have no clue where to turn, One doctor wants to "bury the nerve" then there is one that wants to cut my Achilles tendon and is sure that that will take care of it.

Heat, cold??? which one is better to decrease the pain? could you help me with some advice?

Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User
Re: I am sooo condused, and looking for help!

If there is a possibility of RSD, you do not want to use ice. Some people have had some relief soaking in warm water and Epsom salts. Do you have color changes or differences in temperature in your feet/ankles?
Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
(female)

sequinqueen32 HB User

Yea I have a color changes on my leg red blotches on my calf...but I couldn't figure out what that was about??? And my toe nails on my left foot are grooved, but I didn't know what that was about, either?
I will try the warm water and see how that works!
thanks!

Old 03-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User

Has anyone told you the list of characteristics for RSD? We went to a conference on RSD in 2004. They discussed having a more definitive definition of CRPS (RSD). These are the guidelines that were discussed (I don't know if they have been formally adopted yet). They might give you an idea of whether you really have RSD or not. (I hope not, of course.)

For a positive diagnosis of CRPS:
1. Continuous pain in the region disproportionate to the inciting event
2. At least one symptom (reported by patient) in 3 or more or the following categories:
3. At least one sign (present at doctorís visit) in 2 or more of the following categories:
Categories:
1. Sensory: Allodynia; hyperalgesia; deep somatic allodynia
2. Vasomotor: Temperature; color change/asymmetry
3. Sudomotor: Abnormal sweating; edema
4. Motor/trophic: Decreased range of motion; skin, hair, nail changes
(Allodynia=pain from innocuous tactile stimuli; hyperalgesia=increased response to painful stimuli)
Diagnosis is made on clinical evaluation, but thermography, Quantitative Sweat Test, bone scan, diagnostic blocks, etc., may help support the clinical diagnosis. Lack of a positive response to SNS block does not mean it is not CRPS.
New guidelines for traditional treatment involve 3 core elements: rehabilitation (including physical therapy), pain management, and psychological treatment.
Hope this helps,
Sunny

Old 04-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
(female)

sequinqueen32 HB User

WEll
I have seen my Neurologist and my general doctor...
My Neurologist sais that it is sooo not RSD. Because my Nuclear bone scan did not show any sign of it.
My general Doctor said to me that he has seen only one case of true RSD in his his whole practice...the other people that come in are trying to get drugs.

My pain comes and goes depending on the day, so I am getting very frustrated with this whole thing...Maybe I don't have RSD????

If 2 of my own doctors say it isnt RSD, Maybe it isn't? has anybody else, experienced this difficulty?
Thanks!
Sequinqueen32

Closed Thread