It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

DebbieW HB User
Unhappy New here, RSD in Right Leg, and pregnant.

Hey there! My name is Debbie and I have been dianosed with RSD. It's been 10 months or so since they diagnosed me and a little over 3 years since the problems started.
I'm in a interesting situation now. I am 31 weeks pregnant and scheduled for a c-section on September 6th. This is baby #3 for me and it'll be the 3rd c-section. I know that surgery is not the best thing, but at this point after having 2 already via c-section, I have no other option. I'm getting my tubes tied too that way this is my last baby for sure. My current problem is that I am pregnant and my leg is causing me more and more pain with each passing day. The doctors took me off all medicine that I was on to try and control the rsd, since it was not safe for pregnancy. But is there something I can do??
It's getting bad and it's making what should be a very happy time in my life, a very painful one and very difficult. I just don't know what to do. It hurts and I just want it to stop. Please help me. If you know of any pregnancy safe things that I can do, please let me know. Or any advice in general. I know I'm not the only one with this, but I'm still learning about it.

~Debbie

Last edited by DebbieW; 07-15-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User
Re: New here, RSD in Right Leg, and pregnant.

Hi and welcome to the board. Best wishes for your new baby, too. I don't know about medications that would be safe; that would have to be determined by your doctor. You could ask about Lidoderm patches. Some people have had good luck with soaking in warm water with Epsom salts (no ice), using a Tens unit, massage, swimming, and meditation, and acupuncture. For the C section, they would do a block prior to the surgery. Perhaps the epidural that you would normally have for a C-section (I've had 2) would help also, since your RSD is in your legs.
Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #3

kgangel HB User

HI Debbie

Welcome to the RSD site

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I can not imagine being pregnant and going through this kind of pain as well

I also have RSD in my rt leg and foot. Maybe the extra weight you are caring from the baby may be putting a strain on your leg as well.

I have difficulties with my RSD meds and allergy meds from the summer. I had to cut down on my RSD meds so I could control my allergies. My pain got worse at that time as well. You have to be careful with any meds you are on while on RSD meds.

I wish there was something I could tell you that would help you. The only thing that helps me a little is when I go to Aqua Therapy, the pool is 94 degrees and feels really good to me

God Bless you and best wishes for you and your baby

kgangel

Old 07-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
(female)

DebbieW HB User

So I have started doing the epsom salt baths, and they help. At least some. It also help all the other pregnancy aches and pains. I am also going to work on getting more information about having the epidural left in for a few extra days. But I'll most likey have to go through the PM clinic to get that worked out.

I think your right about the extra weight contributing to the pain. I've gained a total of 13 pounds, and though it's on the low side, the doctors are fine with me not wanting to put on very much weight. It seems to be really difficult to get off. I'm thinking the bigger problem may be the change in center of gravity. I don't know.

One thing I am sure of is how bad this sucks right now. I really wish I could just have a day of being pain free. I know it sounds like a pity-party. I'm sorry. It just seems difficuly right now.

~Debbie

Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
(female)

macaholzapfel HB User
Wink RSD, 7 years, how to survive with no meds

I found this, It make me worse, but I have read that it helps to a lot of people.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Description

Through a chance discovery it was found that the oxygen chamber treatment given to help underwater divers can be beneficial to patients with various conditions, including RSD. The patient spends a measured time in the chamber in a controlled level of oxygen saturation.
Notes

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a non-invasive and generally safe procedure. Complications caused by HBOT treatment are few, and conditions that may result in further complications are also very few. Many types of pain result from swelling around sensitive nerves. Hyperbaric oxygenation acts internally to reduce swelling and can reduce pain. The amount of interest in this new treatment is indicated by the level of comment we have received.

Good look.

Last edited by macaholzapfel; 08-20-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: this may help rsd.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User
Re: RSD, 7 years, how to survive with no meds

I read something by a woman who recently had a baby herself 3 weeks ago. She was on the duragesic patch the whole pregnancy. She also experienced a semi remission from 8 to about 31 weeks along before she began to feel pain in her leg. She also had c section and the doc put the epidural in into the spinal cavity instead of epidural space, a bit stronger and longer lasting than the epidural they gave her a 24 hour morphine in that space as well, for her c-section. She has had about 2 weeks of no pain but is slowing getting little flare ups in her leg.

Her baby girl was born very healthy as well and is a total cutie!

Hope this helps you.

Hugs,

Karen

Closed Thread