It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

martra1025 HB User
Jobs for people with RSD

My husband has RSD in his right hand, diagnosed in May 06, original injury was Feb. 06. At the moment he is collecting workers comp, but I imagine that can't go on forever and it is hardly a decent living. He has always had manual labor jobs (production, maintenance, truck/delivery driver) that have required the use of both hands. I have spent lots of hours trying to figure out what type of Job he can get with minimal use of his dominant hand and I can't come up with anything. Any ideas???

Old 08-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
(female)

aicirtapo HB User
Re: Jobs for people with RSD

Would he be good at sales. Does he have any specialized product knowledge and interests that he could expand into a company sales rep. position. Telephone sales can be done without using one hand. Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

Hello Marta and everyone else who is reading this post. My name is Cheryl and my husband is Ben. For those of you out there you know who he is. Marta my husband too has RSD, but in his foot and knee. We play this game with our daughter as to what daddy can be instead of a cop. Although it is fun and games to her it is serious business to us. No laughing matter with your husband and his hand. First, I would have to say for him is start him in PT and trying to write and use his left hand. Possiblity of Telemarketing where their is voice recgonition (sp) for the computer, I agree with sales. Let's face it he has his legs so he is able to walk. My only problem along with my husbands is the medication factor....how much he is on and what he is able to stay awake for. This is a key factor for anyone who has RSD and needs a job. Common who can actually stay awake after the amounts of Lyrica, Neurotin, Percot and any other meds not mentioned?

I think about a job for my husband every single minute of the day since last November 05 when he got hurt and we come up short everytime. Continure on your quest and I hope you are able to come up with something.

Cheryl

Old 08-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

martra1025 HB User

Thanks for the replies. My husband was in PT until 2 weeks ago when the orthopaedist stopped it because it is no longer doing any good. We agree totally, his hand is less than it used to be, but the rest of him works. He still has pain and adjusting pain meds is an ongoing process. He sees Pain Management the 25th. He is able to write (although not very neatly, which he never did even before the injury) using his thumb and index finger. Sales is an option. It just saddens him to think that he can't go back to doing what he has always done.He has always been active and had physical jobs and now he can't even have a catch with our sons. Thanks again for the input and I am glad I found this board.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LeftyKid HB User

I also lost the use of my dominant (right) hand due to the severity of my injury and RSD. It has since traveled to my arm/shoulder/chest/neck/upper back. No one would pay for OT, so I taught myself to become left-handed. After about a year or so, I was finally as good with my left hand as I had been with my right. However, it's not the lack of use of my arm that prevents me from working, its the RSD symptoms - mostly the pain, fatigue and depression. If I was an amputee, I'm certain I could work. It's the RSD that stops me.

I have found that volunteer work can be a good judge of employment capability. I tried 3 different volunteer jobs to see what I was able to do. None of them worked out for me b/c my symptoms interfered too much for me to continue. However, that obviously is not the case for everyone. I highly suggest attempting volunteer work to see what his abilities and limitations are.

Also, the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) is a great place to try to get back into the workforce. They will perform a complete assessment to determine what type of work can be done successfully.

Just make sure that your husband contacts his lawyer before starting volunteer work or going to OVR, as it might affect WC benefits. My lawyer had said it was actually a good idea for me to go to OVR and/or volunteer to demonstrate the willingness to work, but sometimes, in some cases, a person might get a job which would effectively decrease or end WC benefits, only to find out that you have to quit b/c of limitations. Then you have to start all over again with WC.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
(female)

daylilyfan HB User

You say your husband was in PT... has he tried Occupational Therapy?

They have helped me a lot with doing things differently.... I am in a different situation. I can do my work ok... but can't do my hobbies and some things with daily living... and that's what the OT is working on. It's my understanding that OT works more with people with hand, arm and shoulder problems.

The place I go to has all sorts of things there from wheelbarrows to shopping carts to work with to help you adjust to different ways of doing things. I bet an OT could help figure out a way for your husband to throw a ball with your son - maybe not the way he used to... but in some way.

In January, I had all but lost the use of my left hand... and by the exercises given me by an OT, my left hand is nearly as strong as my right once again. My injury is in my shoulder and upper arm, but it was affecting my hand.

You might think about trying OT if he has not. Like all therapy though, finding a good one is the key.

Jules

Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

wanttowork HB User

Scrufysdad,

I also lost the use of my dominant (right) hand due to the severity of my injury and RSD, which is now involving my elbow, shoulder, neck and back! I too am a cop and now know I won't be ever again, so what can a disabled life long cop do?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

Hey wanttowork.....yeah, what is a cop to do? There is nothing! I am a 17 year veteran and getting the "shaft" from the dept. To bad they don't work with you, but against you. lol Next month the hatchet falls for me. Isn't it funny that they can't give you a "desk" job, but sure as heck say you can't do the job? Sorry to hear about your RSD in your hand etc. I perfectly understand your pain. Stay in touch...men on this board are few, but hey I love those ladies out there! They are a joy to talk too (looking around to make sure the misses isn't around). Take it easy and keep in touch. I am available anytime to chat, listen and support. Ben

Old 08-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

wanttowork HB User
Cool Re: Jobs for people with RSD

10-4 Ben, tks. Joe

Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
(male)

ld3340 HB User

Wow, you know I bet everyone here has had this same question. Problem is that we never hear after they got a job cause they're gone! I am in the same boat, left leg and foot. Pills are my downfall too. I do extra on PT, but my brain ain't the same because of so many pills, memory and simple problems give me grief, not to mention dozing off in the middle of anything. Does anyone here have sleeping trouble at night? I am all messed up there too, and I never had trouble like that before. Also, if there is anyone who has gotten Social Security Disability for RSD please let us know how it went. Thank You, LD

Old 08-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

wanttowork HB User
Arrow Re: Jobs for people with RSD

LD,

Yup sounds familar your symptons and lack of sleep. I filed for social security for my RSD and accompining injuries but was denined but have appealed. I think social security has a web site to check and I think you have to have devoloped RSD from a incident to qualify. Call them and ask also and it doesn't cost anything to file so file it can't hurt. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #12
(female)

DiamondLil HB User

Hello LD:

I am getting SS disability. I was sent to a doctor that the SS people chose for an exam, fiiled out forms they sent me, and sent copies of my medical records. I was awarded SSD without a hearing and, therefore, did not need and attorney.

I don't know if I was awarded the SSD on the basis of my RSD alone. I also have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism, arthritis, osteoporosis, depression, and asthma. I was also in my late fifties at the time. It may have been because I have so many issues and am an older woman. My chances of finding employment are almost nil.

Good luck on your quest for SSD. If you have lots of prescriptions you are taking, have doctors notes saying you are not well, and have other health concerns you probably are more likely to succeed. Perhaps RSD alone is enough to get approved. Maybe there is a list somewhere of medical reasons that SS will approve with documentation.

Regards, Lil

Closed Thread