It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
(male)

brad n. HB User
nerve blocks in neck???????

hi all
its been a while since i posted i hope all have had a good day
i have a few ? i would like to ask.i went to see my pm doc today he said he wanted to do a nerve block for my right hand and said to do this i would have to have it put in my neck or under my arm i have big fear of needles i cant even watch them on tv and this is really got me freaked out can anybody tell which place would be the least painfull to have done and what to expect before,during,and after the shots ifeel like a big old baby thats what my wife saya anyway lol if anybody could help me i would really be greatful thanks all i hope u all have a good evening

brad n.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

Martijo HB User
Re: nerve blocks in neck???????

Hi Brad... I had a nerve block done for RSD in my right hand and arm. I'm terrified of needles, as well... Your sedated for the block you get in the neck. You'll never know when it happens at all. It does take away the pain in your hand and arm, mine last 2 days. I only had one done, because I had a bad reaction to it. My pain management doctor was affaid to do any more. It like made my neck paralazed(sp) for about a month... I had to take 3 different antibiotic's. My neck got better but Pain Doctor refuses any more blocks for me. It also cause my RSD to spread to my lower legs within 2-3 months after the block. The blocks really do help... Dont let your fears keep you from getting it done.

Oh the other block you mentioned, I've never heard of that type.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Hi Brad....I had the injections in my neck. My Dr. also sedated me before giving it. After the injection my eye was red and the side of my face was drooping for a couple of hours. I only had two...the relief wasn't long enough to continue them. But some do get great pain relief. You can do this. Dee

Last edited by dee_navymom; 09-23-2006 at 12:35 AM.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
(male)

gdbcap23 HB User

I had about 12. i got so useto them that i didnt need any sedation. they dident realy hurt much bc of the local they would use. i would just close my eyes and relax good luck

Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
(female)

DiamondLil HB User

Hello All:
As a young girl, I had severe asthma. As a result, I would be in the hospital for a week in an oxygen tent, go home, have another attack and be back in the hospital for another week.

To get my asthma under control, I had to undergo tests to find what I was allergic to. (Sorry for ending the sentence with a preposition - cannot think clearly.) This required getting about 20 small injections at a time in one of my arms. This was done several times and then was repeated to verify what caused my allergies. I found that if I looked away and did not think about it, I could barely notice the needle. The trick is to not tighten up the muscle while you are getting the injection. The needle goes right in with no problem at all. 99 percent of the pain comes from tightening the muscle while getting the shot.

We have all *****ed ourselves while sewing, cut ourselves when slicing veggies, etc. Imagine how much worse it would feel if at first someone chased you with a needle in order to ***** your finger or ran after you with a paring knife to cut your finger! The pain would be that much worse because you were afraid.

As for me, I would much rather feel the slight ***** of a flu shot instead of lying in bed for days with chills, fever, muscle pain, and a headache. You KNOW that RSD is really really bad. Getting a block or epidural may bring you the relief you seek rather than dealing with the same pain day after day.

Good luck!! I hope you find a way to ease your pain.

Regards, Lil

PS: I was 8-9 years old when first underwent the allergy tests and got 2 shots bi-weekly until I was married and had children. The shots allowed me to have a normal life. What a blessing!

Old 09-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User

I also had my fair share of the stellate blocks in my neck.. my dr. never sedated me he just hooked the blood pressure monitor up to me and had me lay back flat and flex my neck back and did the shot right in the middle of my lower neck. It is over within seconds.

I knew the block was sucessfull and he got the right spot when my left eye drooped and was bloodshot. They use to give me relief for a couple weeks now maybe if I am lucky a couple days. But there were times when I went to my pm dr and could not wait for that shot because I knew even if just for a couple hours or even a couple days I would have some relief.

Take care

cattys

Closed Thread