It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
(female)

dee_navymom HB User
Medical Panel Eval. W/C

Hello Everyone...

I have a question..as I have posted in the posted I have no attorney. Just a few days ago I recieved a letter from W/C regarding a medical panel review. They have made arrangements for me to stay in a hotel for two nights. I have to travel long ways to get there. I will be seeing a psyc. doctor for 8 hours the first day. And a Orthopetic and Neuroligist the 2nd day. Have any of you been through this? Please tell me what is entailed with all this.

Skooze...this 8 hours is my mental test isn't it?Lol Please explain it to me again. I don't find anything called Mcgill pain standard test..ect. HELP.

I am going to start looking for that attorney. I knew W/C would start doing something..I have been on w/c for 2 1/2 years with no problems. I have to honest I am wondering if they will just stop my care...because they don't know what to do with me. Can any of you tell me once you started seeing the insurance starting to pull away and maybe wanting out of your case did you settle. Did your insurance just stop your care or what please tell me all . I know I have read some. But I don't remember.Thank you, Dee

Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User
Re: Medical Panel Eval. W/C

Hey you,

Get a lawyer ASAP. I hired one as of this morning and she gave me a run down on W/C. From what she has explained to me when they do this it either
they are wanting to settle which I would advise you get an attorney or they are trying to drop you like a bad habit.

How? By sending you to the crappiest doctors known to man in hopes to get you discredited in some way.. She really opened my eyes this morning to the legal arena. Said the phsyc eval is long an grueling basically they try and catch you in a lie. I think of it more as interrogation by intimidation. And ofcourse the doctors they send you too will totally disagree with what is going on. Stick to your guns with these MD's.

In my opinion, They are declaring war. Make sure you keep your tactics one step ahead of them. Engage these people as your enemy and never let your guard down. But please, before you go get some legal counsel... You can get a no-fee-unless-you-win lawyer.... Yes, they are ambulance chasers... But they will definately give you good solid advice because if they dont it hurts their bottom line.

Take care and keep us posted on your happenings! and never let'em see ya sweat!

Jon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

HI Dee!

I was just about to sign off when I saw your post. Yes I believe this the beginning of the end. Take Jon's advice and get a lawyer ASAP! The McGill questionaire is one long a** test. For someone with a neck injury I was seeing circles after about 1 hour. It's multiple choice. They ask the questions like would you rather draw flowers or rearrange them. Neither I want to rearrange you. Not acceptable. .Lol. For them to fly you for a 2 day overhaul they will be watching your every movement. From the time you check in, to anything you order room service wise, This is not good. They give the McGill questionaire to all who join the service. I wouldn't worry so much about that stupid test. I would be more concerned about not taking my pain meds before seeing THEIR Dr's. Watch their dr to be 80 years old with 2 inch thick glasses. They are called wc ***** doctors for a reason. They get paid big bucks to make you look bad. They will ask you about your childhood, like what does my grandfather have to do with this case?? They tear you to shreds and spit you out. Get an attorney ASAP. At least your attorney can call the shots. He can say a 2 day ordeal will be detrimintal to your health. Yes, they want to cut the chord. And these doctors will write a book based on your medical records. They will twist everything around. That's why is so siomportant NOT TO TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS before you see them!!! After 4 hours maybe take 1/2 of your dose. Then crawl up to your room and take the rest. Gosh Dee, I wish there was something positive I could say. Just don't do this alone. Take a family memeber with you. Have them help you get from point A to point B. When is this test scheduled for? Hopefully you will have an attorney bey then, and he can delay it. You will be in my prayers. I'm here if you need me. I'm bck down to 2 days a week at work. Aloha Skooze

Old 02-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Skooze...I see an Attorney in the morning at 11:00. I know hubby and I can't go at this battle alone from here on out. In fact I was just sitting here...going through some medical papers...heck..a whole stack of them. I just can't believe all the Dr.s I've seen. What a mess. This is just wrong that we have to go through this. Hell..I don't know if I want to rearrange flowers or draw them....how fustrating that will be. I did call my adjuster and she said the first day will take 8 hours...they just have to be kidding...I sure hope they have a recliner to sit in. THe attorney I talked to today told me to get a recorder and tape the whole thing. And if they refuse for me to tape it..to just walk out. Boy I hope they refuse..lol What in the heck are they going to do with me the next day. See if I can walk out on the balcony...I know I am not being postive...but I just think this is crazy. I could understand if I had only been to one Dr. this whole 2 1/2 years. But for heaven sakes I have seen 7 that all say RSD...a postive bone scan...I no longer have hair on my legs or arms. My fingernails grow downward till they cut into my skin if I don't keep them cut. I feel like I live in a deep freezer even through my hubby tells me it is 82 degrees in the house. My skin is on fire. The electic shocks that zap through my shoulder and arm HURT. I have to change my clothes sometimes 3-4 times daily or nightly because they are soaked in sweat...my poor hubby forgot what a pretty smelling woman smells likes..he just like it's BO. But most of all my poor hubby has forgot what if feel like to touch or hug his wife because it causes her pain...and the pain may not let up for hours and hours. Heck now lets add in the depression and the fact I can't sleep with my hubby..because I don't sleep I toss and turn. Well Skooze and everyone else don't you think I just really need to go to a few more Dr's that the IC thinks are just wonderful for us. I am really sorry to vent here.... I promise to be more postive tomorrow. I can say I don't think I have vented like that in years. OK I'm going to try to sleep..lol Dee

Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Skooze..After all my venting...I forgot to answer. My wonder rosey test is Feb 28 and March 1st. I don't want it delayed I just want it over with or better yet...cancelled all together. Did you do your FCE then. Can you all tell me what it will entail. Thank you all, Dee

Last edited by dee_navymom; 03-31-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

I have taken a couple versions of the test. Im NOT sure what form it will present to you. It is long and the questions towards the middle made me laugh. But it was part of my debriefment-post-combat.... Basically making sure im not going out into the world and hurt someone.

But i do remember it takign a long time and spent time infront of a shrinker who asked me about 2 hours worth of questions... towards the end I just gave up and started answering randomly. Slapped on the butt and sent back out into the civilian world.

But I have researched tactics they use and it is all a head game. Just be a pain in the butt if they jerk you around. but most of all STAY STRONG! Hold your ground. and never let these ******* see you sweat... well RSD sweating preffered. lol Im so glad you got legal counsel. Please keep us posted as im pretty interested in your story. (not to be nosey)

I hope you have a pain free day
Jon

Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Skooze, your definately on top of your game girl! they should sticky this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooze View Post
HI Dee!

I was just about to sign off when I saw your post. Yes I believe this the beginning of the end. Take Jon's advice and get a lawyer ASAP! The McGill questionaire is one long a** test. For someone with a neck injury I was seeing circles after about 1 hour. It's multiple choice. They ask the questions like would you rather draw flowers or rearrange them. Neither I want to rearrange you. Not acceptable. .Lol. For them to fly you for a 2 day overhaul they will be watching your every movement. From the time you check in, to anything you order room service wise, This is not good. They give the McGill questionaire to all who join the service. I wouldn't worry so much about that stupid test. I would be more concerned about not taking my pain meds before seeing THEIR Dr's. Watch their dr to be 80 years old with 2 inch thick glasses. They are called wc ***** doctors for a reason. They get paid big bucks to make you look bad. They will ask you about your childhood, like what does my grandfather have to do with this case?? They tear you to shreds and spit you out. Get an attorney ASAP. At least your attorney can call the shots. He can say a 2 day ordeal will be detrimintal to your health. Yes, they want to cut the chord. And these doctors will write a book based on your medical records. They will twist everything around. That's why is so siomportant NOT TO TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS before you see them!!! After 4 hours maybe take 1/2 of your dose. Then crawl up to your room and take the rest. Gosh Dee, I wish there was something positive I could say. Just don't do this alone. Take a family memeber with you. Have them help you get from point A to point B. When is this test scheduled for? Hopefully you will have an attorney bey then, and he can delay it. You will be in my prayers. I'm here if you need me. I'm bck down to 2 days a week at work. Aloha Skooze

Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Hi Jon... First thing I want to say is "THANK YOU for Serving Our Country"

So you have been through these test...maybe you can write your commandar and he will just send you your results. Then you can just send them on to w/c....lol Yes...I got an attorney today. He told me to tape the panel review and to have a wittness with me. And if they refuse it...for me to walk out. Heck Skooze has me still trying to figure out if I what to rearrange flowers or draw them. Jon what is your choice....you drawing or rearranging? LOL. I promise to post everything to all that is on w/c will know what is going on. My pain has been out there...it's the burning I just can't handle...it hasn't let up for 4 days. And no amount of medications seems to help as of yet. So I really hope tomorrow is a better day. Before I get on a roll. I will sign off. Hope you are having a good evening all, Dee

Last edited by dee_navymom; 02-15-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Good deal. Ya, it got whacky I had no clue they used that test (i presume) when they were starting the beginning of the end. I just got fed up and Xmas treed it.

LOL as for rearrange or draw, I would rearrange them. lol I remember they asked just messed up questions like "Would you intentionally harm a small animal?" Answer: Well sir, Was he/she furry? At that point they knew I was fed up. But in retrospect, I understand the test. I just want to know why W/C would do something like that....

Even though you have obvious physical signs.. Why in the **** would they want to know or care about your mental status. Sure, you may be depressed.. or have anxiety, or bi polar or what not... doesnt matter. Its dumb and a complete waste of time. Its bad enough having RSD. Even worse to contend with W/C. Good to know you got someone in your corner.

Heck, I got a darn third party nurse following me around to EVERY appointment. I dont know what the deal with that is. And she thinks she is gonna see my naked hinny... HA HA. I just look at her now when the doctor wants me to drop my pants and point at the door. I make it known She should feel privledged to be in the exam room with me and that I can at my discrection kick her out. Trying to talk to my ortho I told the first one to shut the (four letter word) up. I could'nt even speak to my doc without her trying to play my symptoms down. He could tell she annoyed me and HE asked her to leave as I was getting real angry at that point.

Did you ever have one of these Nurses follow you around? My lawyer says "For around here, yes.. They do this." I am to try and be "nice" to them but watch what I say or do.

darnit... Im rambling... sorry!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Jon...I had some case mangement nurse call me at home at the beginning of my case. She started asking questions regarding my injuries...about 3 minutes into the conversation...I asked her now what are you to do with my case...and she said she is to help make things go well for me...so I can get appointments and etc...I explained to her I was a Healthcare Administator for years I don't think I needed her services. I thanked her for her time and hung up. I had no idea at the time what she was. One smart thing I did at the beginning of my injury. I thought I would be back to work in a few weeks...what in the world was some nurse going to do...I needed a Dr. Jon why would you let this nurse in the exam room with you...there is noway in h*** I would. I can't believe the nurse would talk to the Dr. while you are having a conversation with him. I would tell her to stay in the waiting room and as soon as you are done with the exam and talking with the Dr. she can talk all she wants to the Dr. if she can catch him. I wouldn't help her get info about you to use against you...she gets paid by the I/C to do that...I would walk out of the Dr. office and be very polite..stopping to tell her to have a nice day the Dr. can see you now. Don't set up next appointment with Dr. tell office you will call later after you look at your calendar. Call the case nurse about a week before the appointment. If you do get the appointment that day...as soon as you get home call and change it and then call case nurse a a couple days before..to inform of new date of appointment. Hopeful by doing this... the case nurse will already have appointments. But always remember Jon sweetness gets you a long way...don't be rude to her. So she can't get you on that. Do you what to know where I heard that about case nurse...I was in waiting room with a man that offered me his story... of out running his case manger...and have seen stories on the net. Dee

Last edited by dee_navymom; 02-15-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Unfortunately for me.. Shes on me like a fat kid on a cup cake. I pulled a smooth one on her and she has intensified her efforts to stay in the loop. She has complete control of my care and appointments.

I was told to be nice, and USE her as a "tool". But, im smarter than she is. She has tried to play head games with me and I shut her right down. She doesnt scare me and she knows this. The first nurse they put on me did so without my consent and just showed up to my ortho appointment with NO warning. Boy was I hot. I cursed and while she was in the room basically went off and my ortho told her to leave and he would meet with her after he was done and we all would go over his findings. (He is in my corner) He laughed and told me he always knew i was a loose cannon. Then he got serious told me to get legal counsel and told me what he really thinks is going on.

Upon leaving she interrogated him (with me at his side) on everything. He stated his findings and she was starting to second guess him and I told her to "maintain discipline". Well none the less she quit and they put a new one on me. I do have temper issues... well, Im now intouch with my aggresive side. But upon talking to my lawyer he said Be nice and keep conversation to a minimum. So i do.

Its stinks... kinda like sleeping with the enemy. But she has been usefull in getting quick approvals so I dont mind making her do my "work". She has also proven useful in getting checks out to me and calling my job letting them know what is going on versus me faxing documents. I have been friendly and put my salesman smile on.

But yes it does add an element of BS. I try not to get worked up but if she pisses me off, i have no objection of putting her in her place. as far as im concerned Im over her. I make her leave during physical examination (was told to do so) and not let her see my injury.

I do like my ortho. He has seen me for over a year and we have grown a friendship. I got his son an Xbox 360 last xmas when there was none to be found. She wants this pain doc to "keep" me. But in my medical records he clearly states to see PM confirm diagnosis and to return to his office ASAP. So as soon as this jerk does whatever im leaving.

Well, we will see what happens as i will post all my mis-adeventures

Jon

Old 02-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Boy Jon and Dee--you send me back down memory lane

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the corrupt wc system and their nurse case managers. My attorney NEVER let one accompany me. Those were his rules. But she followed behind me, after my doctors appoinments and argued with the doctors about their reports. The nerve. In fact it even came up in the Dept. Of Labor hearing how my PM dr said I had RSD, and the next day, after she saw him, he signed a form stating I did NOT have RSD! Who are these people?? I'll tell you who they are, they have NO medical background, and yes they are paid by the crooked insurance company to make you look bad and play down your symptoms. But Jon you are right, if they have to be in the picture, and your attorney can't do anything about it, you've got the right idea. In fact I like Dee's input about the constant changing the appoinments. Maybe you could blame your RSD brain for forgetting to mention an appoinment change. Now that I'm out of that game I could think of all kinda crazy things to do to them. LOL.

Dee, what is an FCE??? A final complete evaluation?? A forced crooked exam?? I could think of others to fit the abbreviation, but I won't go there. 2 weeks till D Day. Is anyone going with you?? Are they really putting you up in an hotel? Remember what I said about not taking the pain meds or very little of them. If you have to like me take them in order to even move in the morning, set your alarm early and take them asap, so by time they see you 4 hours have passed. I'm sso happy that you got an attorney! What does he think about the team doing the exam?? Has he prepped you on any of this? Did he really say to record it all and if they refuse to walk on out?? That could be good or bad. Cause if you walk on out, can they stop your benefits? I'd ask your attorney that before. Who knows maybe some weird act of mother nature might attack that day and you won't have to worry. But personally, the way you describe your pain, and the sweating it's probably best to get it over with. This day has to come sooner or later. Just remember to take as little as pain meds as possible. Remember to describe your pain as shooting, stabbing, knife-like. I remember in one exam they touched me with a cotton ball and I about flew off the table. I had my eyes closed at the time, and he asked what if felt like and I said sandpaper. This was their neuro doing my exam. He asked if I had any nerve blocks done, and I said no they were ordered 18 months ago but kept getting denied. He said I will order the nerve blocks. Duh. . .a little too late don't you think. I just hate when they pull out their *****ing instruments and do the Needs test--who even knows or cares what that is. Just keep a notebook by your side and jot down ?'s to ask your attorney before the exam. And don't even worry about flowers, like Jon says some of the ?'s are totally off the charts. They just wanna see if your capable of hurting others or yourself, or if your suicidal. And remember it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Aloha Skooze

Old 02-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Skooze....It is always good to hear from you.

You ask did the attorney really tell me to get up and walk up if they refuse to allow me to tape the eval. Yes he did....he has a paper where in our state states it is allowed to record all IME appointments. You also ask if they really put me up in a hotel...yes...the drive is over 150 miles one way. Right now the attorney is also trying to make it so that my hubby can be also in the room while the eval is going on. Honestly I just want this over with....I want to have medical services when I need them, not when someone that has never seen me thinks I can have them. Skooze I keep bouncing back and forth about settling medical. I have all the bills from my SCS the cost from the trial to the perm. one $ 49.500.00. No that is money that hubby I dont have if it had to be replaced. My medications are 640.00 monthly. Then we have Dr. appointments. I know you have said you got around $180,000 but did you get anything for medical. I would really like to settle and have nothing more to due with W/C. And I swear if I ever get to work again I will never file a W/C claim. Hubby has written to the Govoner. And we would like to see what we can do to change the process of w/c. What w/c pays to fight paying a claim could sure help alot of injuried people. I'm not good with politics but my hubby has also been very involved. So I plan to do my part...and I could talk alot of people and that is our plan. In fact where I am going to have the eval is at the capital of our state...my hubby thought we should try to set up an appointment to talk with Senator or Govoner. Ok that is a different post. Just one more thing I what they pay an IME now shows that they are being paid off. I don't think they should be paid anymore then our Dr's are paid. Think of all that money that could be paid to care for a injuried worker. I just don't get all of it.Ok I promise to get off that. Back to the other. Yes I just want to get it over with. Skooze did you do just one for the w/c or did you do the same tests for your attorney? And once you had all these silly tests what happened? Ok..I have said plenty. Dee

Old 02-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

By all means dont laugh! lol lucky for me my Case worker just had a death in her family. Im changing Doc appointments since she will be outta town for a couple of weeks. So its my time to pull a fast one on her butt.

Found a therapist. She is awsome. Really helps to talk to her.. I go 3 times a week until I think I could space the appointments out. But so far she is teaching me how to deal with the pain though in her opinion im not recieving adequit care. But none the less she taught me breathing excersises and has also teamed up with my pshyc to help me even further.

My psych has already called and saw me for free reguarding my meds and increasing them since my pain isnt being controlled she wants to up my klonopin dosage and possibly do a trial run of cymbalta for depression but told me it also could help me for pain.

Proves... Raise your voice and people listen. But, she thinks pain is detrimental to my overall well being and noted that in my file. It has taken a year for her to get me calmed down and I dont want to step back with all the hard work I have accomplished.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Dee

Sorry but your questions sorta confuse me. Why are you seeing the govenor of the state?? Isn't there an Obusmunand (spelling?) or something like that to help you resolve problems? What does your attorney say about all these steps that you are taking?? Have you asked him? I'm sorta confused abouttaking the tests before an IME doc and your attorney?? Maybe I'm just brain dead. My attorney and I never took any tests together. He just prepped me for these stupid IME"S. And yes you are right. . . they are paid alot of big $$ too say it is all in your head.

As far as the settlement went, I was paid that sum after all medical bills were paid. Here by law they have to pay all medical bills. Something you should ask your attorney. I had more luck writing to the state Insurance Commissioner about my worthless wc agent than anything. In fact after I settleted he was fired. I'm not sure what kinda job your hubby has or how much he makes. Me being a widow with 2 children, I received help from the state. My settlement allowed me to pay off my mortgage ( which then was a song at $50K acrosss from the ocean), so my only bills were my utilites, food and clothing. I had no medical bills, and went straight on medicare. This is something to consider, if you were not married, you would be deemed single and head of household, and would qualify for sooo many benefits, more than if you were married. I know it sounds harsh, but being single, all my meds are FREE, because I am low income. Times that by 12. My dr's appt's, are pretty well set to $18 a month (copay) because there really isn't anything they can co for me anymore. Without the stress of the finacial part, it''s pretty easy living as a clam at high tide. I'm still in pain, duh.. bit I've been in this for so long, that I'm just happy to curl up and watch tv or read a book. I work for $$ under the table for extra spending cash. The trick is to keep the government out of it. Once you are released from wc, AND MAKE SURE THEY PAY ALL YOU'RE PAST MEDICAL BILLS!!!!, if you got say seperated or divorced from your hubby-- just say for filing status, you would be considered low income, and the govt, picks up the tab. They don't have spys out watching you like wc does. Maybe I'm out on a limb giving you this advice, but you have to be 2 steps ahead of them.

As far as your pain level goes, we al know what stress can do it. The KNOWING, as I say, is the hardest. For 8 years I've been bounced from dr to dr. I know Dee that once you close your case, there will be this huge WAVE of stress off your shoulders and you will be happy again. Maybe I'm sounding crazy, but just re read what I wrote. Low Income. Make sure that attorney makes all your medical bills go away. By law here they can only take 10%. Make sure they take your settlement and divide it by it the # of years your life expectancy is and ask them (before signing) could you live off of that???? I hope I am shedding a different light on to somethings for you. You have to learn to Cover your own a**! You still can be married, but not legally if you want to survive.

I hope this helps you. I know your stim sucks, and the sooner you get it out the better. My dr. just switched my BT meds to percs 10 mg/ 325. I can't tell you how much better I feel not having all that tylenol running thru my veins. Makes me wanna have a drink! No serious, that was the best move I have done to date. Remember reading that post by saying that any amount of tylenol over 2500 is reaching toxicility levels?? When I asked my dr. that she said yes, and swicthced my meds I just feel so much better.

So Dee take notes and call your attorney. Make sure all your medical bills are paid for first. Think about what I said not being married legally, and don't worry about no stupid tests. Just don't take your pain meds before seeing them. Enough said, Keep me posted. Aloha Skooze

Closed Thread