It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User
Rsd & Wc

For those of you out there, who has settled with WC? Okay, now with that in mind are you happier that you have settled and you don't have to have life dictated by WC? Or are you still wishing that you haven't settled? Now I am not talking about those who were forced to settle, but decided to do it on your own. This is not to upset anyone, but looking for information based on general concensus.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User
Re: Rsd & Wc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrufysdad View Post
For those of you out there, who has settled with WC? Okay, now with that in mind are you happier that you have settled and you don't have to have life dictated by WC? Or are you still wishing that you haven't settled? Now I am not talking about those who were forced to settle, but decided to do it on your own. This is not to upset anyone, but looking for information based on general concensus.

Thanks.
Hi Ben Yes I am one of those who decided to settle my wc case on my own. I was so sick at the time, I was pretty much bed ridden and very thin, & in so much pain from them denying me treatments that I decided to close my case. I was never so happy in my life. It's like this 100 pound weight was lifted off of my shoulders I immediately signed up for a 10 day course on the STS machine, and that changed my life. WC denied the treatment! I bought the machine for $3K and a month later I could drive! A few months later I felt like a whole new person. I had a say so in my healthcare. I went on medicare and now my meds are free! I don't have to worry about someone following me around with a camera. My ssdi payments even went up ( they were off set by my measley wc payments that I never recieved on time especially at XMAS ) But the wicked game of chess is over. Make sure they offer you a substantial amount, and have an attorney. Just point out at there first offer that they paid $90,00 last year for your medical expenses. I got $150k after attorneys. I never looked back and I hope this helps you. If you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer them for you and good luck Aloha Skooze

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

tame the flame HB User

Hi Ben it's been so long since you've been on the boards! how are you?? Did you go back to work? Are you being forced into closing your case? I'm sure it just has'nt only been me that has been thinking about you and worrying about your problems that you have been up agaisnt..This coming June will be 5 yrs since I hurt my knee at work and I am worst off than what I was in the very begining including my RSD being the worst of it all..The state of California has been so neleflecful in my treatments and we will report it to the papers and the TV stations before within the next few wks I've had it..I will be closing my case in the next few months so I'll get back to you on that one Ben..But in the meantime let us know how you are ok!!!
eunie

Old 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

Hello Skooze and Eunie. I am alright I guess with the exception of the RSD spreading up my leg infecting my knee. The pain is so bad that I can't even walk straight. Skooze, did you have to put a certain amount of money away in Medicare after your settlement? Eunie, I no longer work as I have been retired from my job as perm disabled. It has been a long trek, but that chapter is finally over. Still we have lots going on and life is hopefully going to settle down for us. But thanks for the info skooze, but do you think that one really needs an attorney to settle? I wonder if there is anyone out there who has gone thru SSDI, WC and their job without the help of a lawyer and got a good settlement. I would be interesting!

Anyway, thanks for your responses.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Hi Ben....I know I can't offer any help with your question. Just wanted to say Howdy. I keep asking myself the same question. And after the last thing W/C put me through I told my attorney " I want wc out of my life" all I can think is ...Is w/c going to put me through one of these IME's every time one of my Dr's wants to due something. As you know my SCS isn't working correctly..and one of my Dr's sent me to a new Dr about having the scs replaced with a different kind that may stay in place better or to have it removed..he just can't understand why I have something in me that doesn't work. All of started because they thought about putting in a pain pump. As we all know this costs the IC money...but I need to have something done...I can't live like this. But having the added stress of dealing with WC is awful. But after they put me through the 3 IME's Dr I have never been so degraded and mad. I plan to speak out. No one should be treated in the way. If someone would of told me that is what happens I would think they are making the story worse then it really was...Ben it was awful. We as American can't allow that to happen...just because we got hurt at work. The IC treats us this way so they don't have to pay for more treatment....for heaven sakes I have seen atleast 6 doctors that say I have RSD and a postive bone scan and nerve block that shows what kind of pain I have...what more would wc what. Then they send me to 3 IME to say what (I don't have RSD)...to me it just makes these 3 Dr look like silly. (Silly isn't what i really wanted to say) So people wonder why we want to settle our cases. I am just so tried of dealing with the crap. We deal so much pain and financial difficults...are health would do better I think if we could make all the final dissicions...not wc. Are Dr's wouldn't have to wonder if it will be approved. We wouldn't have to lay in bed wondering if are benifits are going to be stopped...we don't have to be scared to open the letters to see what is next. But then the other side if we do settle..how much is enough...Ben have you ever just set down and figurged out how much all your surgeries,medications and theapies and that has cost. The SCS to have it replaced the batteries...etc. My heavens I wouldn't even know where to start...to ask for a settlement. Just knowing that I most likely will never work again. It is just all so overwhelming. I guess I will just have to sit down with attorney and expain my fears..and see what he says to me. Because I did tell him. I do not what wc in my life at all. He told me to really think that over. Because it was just after my 3IME's Dr's ...well my mind hasn't changed. Ben sorry I am on a roll this morning. Hope you and your family are doing well. Dee

Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

hey all ......i am not feeling welll today just had a questions for

skooze..........did you make the first move to offer a settelem to w/c or did they make the offer to you .......?

i need to go back and rest . talk to you all later...Ben

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Hi Ben

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My coworker has health issues and I'vebeen holding the the shop by working everyday and paying for it dearly. All I do is eat and sleep. In answer to your first ? you have to be rated by an IME dr. before you can settle. Parts are parts. I guess when they figure they can't do anything more for you and you are considered stable, they rate you and close your case. Meaning stable doesn't mean that you are stable, because you are sure in alot of pain. Stable to them means they can't help you anymore. Does this make sense? In answer to your 2nd ? about medicare, I never had to pay them any money. There is a $130 deductable each year tjhat you have to pay your doctors out of your own pocket, then Medicare kicks in. Usually my dr. visits cost $17 each. An MRI costs about $112. Some test are free. You can go on there website to see what they cover. I would definitely get an attorney though. They can only take X amt by law. Here it is 10%. But they can negoiate with them better than you can.

Eunie and Dee I know exactly how you feel. Those IME doc are the worst. They are paid over $10K an evaluation and it's their job to make you look bad. Go public. I did and it felt good. But by closing your case never leave your medical open because you will be subject to future IMES. IIICCKKK. Plus you get less $$. My meds are free because I am considered low income. I closed my case in Jan 1, 2004. I just started geting better and stronger each month. It's amazing the BS they put us through. Just report to SS your settlement amt. and make sure your attorney divides the $ amount by the expected # pf years you have left to live. For a woman it's 82. So they took My $150K and divided it by 38 years by 12 months and it came down to $334 a month. This is very important because SS uses this figure to determine monthly amount. Right now I get $974 a month. But my house is paid for and my meds are free. The rates are higher in Hawaii and Alaska because the cost of living is higher. . I wish you all the best of luck. Amnd the sooner you get those monkeys off of your back the better you will feel. Like a 1000 pound weight is off of your shoulders. Good Luck and keep me posted. Aloha Skooze

Old 03-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Skooze...Hey you got a great deal for your attorney 10%...Mine gets 25% All I have to say is he better do a wonderful job...at this point he hasn't had to do anything. Hey I got acall this morning from the attorneys office. The lady told me I had a check there. I was like "for what" I guess the IME panel I went to has said I am MMI and gave me a PPI rating (Like I know what all that means) she say I will no longer be recieving my bi-weekly check just one check a month till it is paid off, Attorney office didn't know much because they haven't received the full report. Once the attorney gets the report he will go over it with me. Skooze did you have a fce done and a loss of earning assessment done. Did you do volc rehab or what ever it is called. Whats got me so mad is I was sent to that IME medical panel inregards to me having my surgery for my stimulator. And it comes back that I am MMI. So it looks like I will have a stimulator left in me that doesn't work. I know my Dr's here aren't going to like this...I would think that my Dr's should be able to have thier say in all this mess. But I am so tried of messing with the IC and I want them out of my life...but I have to have enough of a seettlement to be able to take care of this stimulator...I will not have open medical..They just made a decision to leave a stimulator in me that doesn't work....they aren't competent enough to figure out you should fix something that is broken in your body. I would bet my last dollar that if it was in their body it would be fixed or removed. I want to make a Dr's appointment when I want to and get the care I need when the Dr thinks I need it not 3 months later. I want out. So now just waiting for report...so my attorney can tell me what is next. Heck 25% Skooze how did you get one for 10%. In fact all the attorneys I talked to told me 25%. I am still writing everyone I can think of about my IME medical panel review. Also getting copies of the recording...I tried to do on my computer...just couldn't figure it out. I sure didn't want to lose the recording. All I hear that aweful Dr saying to me.." I can assure you I'm not here to help you...the IC hired me for them not you. Didn't your attorney tell you what was going to happen..." something like that. And then I think of how many times I have read (IME doctors are to be impartial doctors to both sides)OK thats enough venting.Dee

Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

Okay, so Dee you have just scared the ever living you know what out of me! I am scheduled to have an IME done within the next two weeks and really didn't know what to expect. I too want this whole thing to end! Personally, I don't have an attorney, but push comes to shove I do have a wild card just in case. Why do these people continue to use us at guinea pigs? If it was them then the tables would certainly be turned and they would expect the same compassion from others....ie...drs, wc, etc. Hopefully, when my chapters end I will go into detail the system I had to go thru. Although, we all seem to have the same story.

Thanks Skooze for giving me that info, it was helpful.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Ben...Please if you don't hear any thing I type....Please just interview a few attorneys...just in case. Ask a some questions so when the time comes you will have one all ready to go. You will be so rattled when you come out of the IME you won't be able to make a good decision. Make sure you go over all your medical reports from the past....the IME's I went to were more interested in how long my injections lasted that were given in my shoulder before surery..in fact they drilled more about the past medical then they did about my RSD. Also about medication that I took that didn't work..."why didn't they work what was the side effects...etc." Ben I must of taken a dozen or more medications before the shoulder surgery..and I sure could remember how long I took each one what the dosage was what the side effects was. And when I would say I don't remember They would say we need you to anwser...I was so rattled by the time I was done. My mind just doesn't fuction like it used to. Then they moved onto therapy I must had therapy 5 different times treating differenting areas..they then would say did that help that mucsle you get the idea. Ben yours might be alittle better...I first started out with the Dr's thinking my pain was caused from a neck injury so and I also had a lower back injury. But it is much better.. But I had to go through questioning for neck, lower back, shoulders, face also when I fell I had broke a tooth, so they question all that too.( The Dr. wanted to know what number tooth was broken like I knew the number of my teeth..he had me reach in my mouth from the back and count till I reached the tooth that was broken...can you believe that) So I had to try to remember every treatment I had for all those injuries. Even if that injury was healed. But what ever you do don't let them forget any of your injuries. When I had my shoulder surgery..they only spoke of one procedure that was done to it...when I had three different procedures done to it.Then on to the scs the must have asked me hundred times does it help me....I told them yes...when it works...but it has never helped with the burning and the sensitivy. But with the other pain yes. But I have to hold my head to my chest or lay down to make it work. But they decided that is good enough. That is what makes me so mad. So I guess I will contine to have to take these medications the rest of my life. Then these Dr's if thats what you want to call them...give me a paper and color pencils. and a body chart. Tell me to color the red part the burning I feel...so I start coloring the dr says as I start coloring to the left thats far enough I'm like you told me to color in the burning thats what I'm doing he says..so you having burning there..(I'm thinking to myself no I thought this was a coloring contest) so I keep color. Then another pencil for pain I start color same thing...Dr. says so you have all this pain..I say yes I do. You can tell he is just mad mad. Takes the paper and pencils from me and sets them side...coloring all done....I was like hey we have two more colors...but he was to mad to go on. Ben you just couldn't believe this whole thing. You know now as I look back on it...it makes me just disgusted..with thier behaivor...and how unprofressional they were. But I can laugh at now. But I wasn't laughing for weeks..I violated...worthless. I have wrote everyone I can think of. This kind of treatment shouldn't even happen to animals. But as we all know not all IME's go like this. I will be praying for you. Dee

Last edited by dee_navymom; 04-09-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 AM   #11
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

Dee, thank you so much for the helpful insight into IMEs. I am scared, but with your helpful information I will sit down to figure out my game of plan. To me I am totally disgusted by the way you were treated and remember when I gave you advice to get that scs inserted, but who would have ever thought it would backfire by not working properly. Even mine isn't working as well as it should. My wife says all the time you can picture yourself in a wonderful outfit till you try it on and then......quick take it off it looks aweful! I guess I can apply that statement to our life....we saw ourselves being cured somewhat with teh scs, but until it was inserted it became a different story....quick take it out!

On a serious note I appreciate talking to you adn know how hard it is to type such a long post. I will be in touch and you take it eaasy.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skooze HB User

Gosh Dee your post sent me down memory lane!

What is an MMI? The part you described about the coloring . Threy had me draw triangles, circles, lines and so forth to describe the stabbing aching and burning and I don't even remember what else. Yes they do go back to any accidnet you ever had etc. Auto, dental, you name it. I think these guys do this to distract you as they carefuly watch your movements. This is why it is important not to take your pain meds before the exam. I was reading some of my old dr. reports form my first doctor that my current dr. gave me back. I was shocked to read them. At first he was on my side, but then he started changing his tune, he would write things like patient is holding her left hand in a fixed position, but when looking for papers in her bag, she had nop problem moving her left hand. So no wonder these doctors give you the fourth degree.

Dee what your attorney can get is set by state law. If yours is an auto accident and you have RSD they take up to one half. I think that is crazy that they give you a monthly check until your paid off. I got a $10K downpayment, and 3 weeks later I got the big tamale. Have you found out your PPI yet? I was rated 64% PPD in the upper left extremity, 17% in the necik, 10% for physch and 15% for the medical wash. I hope you takethe wash. If you don't you will be subject to further IME's and their doctors. That is just crazy that they plan to leave the broken SCS in you Can't you sue the dr who put it in you? Or do you have to sign a release of liability once you close your case?? Have you heard from your attorney or ins. co yet? Whatever you do, when you do get an actual amount, you have to report it to social security within 10 days. My ssdi payment went up from $400 a month to almost $1000 a month. I bet your laughing alot more these days now that is all said and done. It gets better every day. Trust me there is life after wc.

Ben good luck on your IME. When is your scheduled for so we can all say a prayer for you. Take care Aloha Skooze

Old 04-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

Skooze, my IME is scheduled for the end of the month. I have a person coming to my house towho is going to do a vocation rehab. So it appears they are planning on sending me back to work according to them. This is the 2nd time for this. But what gets me is that I was declared perm disabled by the state with a 25% impairment. Now I have to go thru this process with rehab and an IME. It was WC drs who declared me this in the first place and now they don't want to believe them. I am very confused along with my meds. LOL Life hasn't gotten easier for us, just more entailed. I want all this to end.

So anyway, please say a prayer cause I need it.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

Hi Ben...Hope you and your family had a nice weekend.

Now for your IME. We are going to be postive. We have to remember that not everyones IME turns out like mine. So we will be saying our prayers that Bens will be just fine. I just think it is so sad that we even have to worry if someone is going to get a fair IME report.

Ben I don't know I ever told you that when my attorney sent away for all my medcial records. Back at the first of 2006 WC had sent me to a doctor and I had no idea that it was an IME...I only seen this Dr for a short visist and he did say "Yes RSD and she needs treatment" he referred me to the pain clinic that I seen for along time. I had no idea he was an IME. I think wc just trys to get rid of us when we show no improvement. And continue to need treatment for the long term. If they only knew how difficult it is for us to be in pain 24 hours a day. To have our life dreams turned upside down. Ok not postive! no more of that!

Ben did you see Jodoms post about his IME....it was for the good. It is hard to say it is good...because having RSD is not so good..but having the doctors back up the diagnosis sure helps. Just knowing you will continue to have treatment...is a relief. I was so happy for Jon. It is always good to see something postive. So now we are going to have lots of postive thought coming your way. It will be so AWESOME if you can post a good report. I sure hope you get a report faster then I have. Dee

Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #15
(male)

Scrufysdad HB User

Dee, think happy thoughts! Think happy thoughts! HAPPY THOUGHTS!!! I am trying to be positive, but how can I when I am at my whits end. Since my appt has been made I was just recently told that I need to supply all of my MRI's and anyother xrays I have had. Why is it my repsonsibility to supply that info when it is WC who is trying to do this set up with the IME? I don't get it. And since this is in my foot which has since spread up to my knee and continuing to my thigh WC wants to send me to a Podriatrist (spell sorry). Why?! I need a PM dr, not that kind of dr! Okay, so I have vented enough and no one wants to hear me whine.

I appreciate your input and I will look for that persons thread to read regarding IME. Thank you so much for your support.......Ben

Closed Thread