It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

donnajay6 HB User
Question Epidural catheter questions

I had an epidural catheter placed yesterday and my leg went numb 7 hours later.I turned the pump off and waited till morning to start it..... and it happened again. Home health nurse coming tonite to lower marcaine pump so I'm relieved to say the least. Has this happened to anyone else? I am only supposed to have the catheter in for a week to ten days. I have rsd of my left foot and ankle from surgery gone wrong. I'm scared of this process. Just looking for answers. Thanks

Donna

Old 03-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: Epidural catheter questions

Hi Donna,

After the nurse changes the marcaine, it should be better. Let us know after you've had it lowered for a while.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

donnajay6 HB User
Re: Epidural catheter questions

Sharon,
The doctor had the marcaine diluted down a little bit, and it's not so bad now. Leg is still getting a "little" numb, but nothing like it was before. This is more painful than I thought it would be! I'm such a baby. I have a 4 yo daughter I need to chase, and I'm not moving that fast! Luckily my 13 yo boy is being a big helper. DH had to work this am, so I'm on my own. Has anyone else had the sever back pain with this? How long does it last? Pain in my foot is managed right now, but the pain in my back from the catheter is killing me. What a tradeoff. ha ha Thanks for any help you can give.

Donna*

Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
(female)

Nertz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnajay6 View Post
I had an epidural catheter placed yesterday and my leg went numb 7 hours later.I turned the pump off and waited till morning to start it..... and it happened again. Home health nurse coming tonite to lower marcaine pump so I'm relieved to say the least. Has this happened to anyone else? I am only supposed to have the catheter in for a week to ten days. I have rsd of my left foot and ankle from surgery gone wrong. I'm scared of this process. Just looking for answers. Thanks

Donna
Hello, I have had a epidural catheter in for going on 8 weeks now. I have had it changed 6 or 7 times though because it moved or was infected at the skins surface. I have it topped up 4 days a weeks so that I can have my right foot, ankle and leg worked on by a physio without feeling pain. I am on a waiting list for a SCS, but am doing this treatment from stopping my foot from contracturing any further. When and how did your RSD start?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

dee_navymom HB User

H i Donna & Nertz

I have no idea what your treatment is...but wanted to wish you both the best. I hope it helps both of you. Dee

Last edited by dee_navymom; 03-20-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
(female)

djmcmullen HB User

Donna - How funny, I am a Donna too, and I got a TEC placed on 3-15 also. But I am confused, they sent you home after putting it in? I got the catheter put in outpatient, and then was admitted into the hospital as soon as a bed became availalble. They hooked up the medicine to it at 11pm that night. On 3-16 I woke up with a completely numb leg. It took them Friday and Saturday to get the medicine combo right for me, and by Sunday they seemed to have it. They kept me one more day to verify, and on Monday night I went home.

I am completely shocked at how WEAK I am after all this. I walk from one end of my home to the other, and then have to rest. I am on home bound status right now, but hope to be release so I can go to outpatient PT. My RSD is in my RT ankle/ft/knee.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
(female)

donnajay6 HB User

Hi Nertz

My RSD started after I had voluntary surgery to correct a bunion. It was dx 2 weeks after my surgery. I am an ER nurse on top of everything, so this has totally changed my life. I was used to running all the time, and now not so much. I have had the epi catheter removed today, and the pain is starting to come back full force. PM said he would put another in again 2-3 months from now. yay. He gave me a script for Lamictal?? I know that is a med for bipolar (which I'm not) and is similar to neurontin (which I have taken in the past but knocks me out) Has anyone had any experiences with this drug? I take lots of ultram now, use the tens unit and physical therapy. I don't want to start taking something that is going to knock me out again, because I have a darling 4 year old daughter that is home with me the days she is not at preschool. They require your full attention at that age, and I don't want to nod off. Any info will be appreciated. Love the support, thanks again!

Donna*

Old 03-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
(female)

donnajay6 HB User

Hi Donna!
Yeah, they sent me home the same day all taped up with a tube hanging out in the back. A home health nurse arrived a little while later and hooked me up to the marcaine. A little over 2 weeks of carrying this purse type bag around and not being able to shower. fun fun. I couldn't have stayed in the hospital anyways. But it is out now and I am very glad to take a "real" shower! Hope you feel better!
Donna*

Old 03-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
(female)

donnajay6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_navymom View Post
H i Donna & Nertz

I have no idea what your treatment is...but wanted to wish you both the best. I hope it helps both of you. Dee
Thanks Dee!!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
(female)

djmcmullen HB User

Hey Donna -- Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing? did the cath help any? Mine is still in, it will be in for another 4-6 weeks. The doc can leave it in up to 3 months. I've gotten used to carrying the bag around, and my husband is learning how to change the medicine bag so that I can start PT.

The pain actually broke through this week, so I am getting an increase as to how much is going in. All the medications I take on top of this make me tired too....they are switching me from Lyrica to Topomax and I'm hoping that wont make me sleep.....the Zoloft I take already does a good job of that!

Last edited by djmcmullen; 04-06-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
(female)

donnajay6 HB User
Smile Re: Epidural catheter questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcmullen View Post
Hey Donna -- Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing? did the cath help any? Mine is still in, it will be in for another 4-6 weeks. The doc can leave it in up to 3 months. I've gotten used to carrying the bag around, and my husband is learning how to change the medicine bag so that I can start PT.

The pain actually broke through this week, so I am getting an increase as to how much is going in. All the medications I take on top of this make me tired too....they are switching me from Lyrica to Topomax and I'm hoping that wont make me sleep.....the Zoloft I take already does a good job of that!
Hey!!! I am doing so much better. It was really a big difference in the beginning, but I am starting to feel the pain again. It has been out for a couple of weeks now and I can tell it is better than it was, but still taking ultram for pain and using tens unit. Pain Doc said he would probably put Epi cath back in sometime in may or june. yay. But I can tell a difference from the level of pain that I had before compared to how I feel now. So I am willing to have the Epi cath placed as many times as I have to in order to get the pain relief it brings. I don't know how you are doing it for as long as you are! My hat is off to you for sure. It was an adjustment carrying that bag around all the time, and learning to take an abbreviated shower and shampoo. That was the worst. I hope you are doing well, and good luck with the Topomax. I am on Elavil at night along with Robaxin for muscle spasms, so everything must be finished before I take those two or it's lights out for me. Take care and I hope you are getting some relief!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

kitcat1015 HB User

Hey yall,
I see doctors are precribing us RSD people with drugs that treat other things...like lyrica. Isnt RSD big enough to have our own meds????
I cant wait until im on one that helps with the pain..........hard living with constant burning, stinging, throbing pain and only taking Lyrica and percocet.
Well yall.........i have to try and lay down...........everything is on fire at this time.....talk to yall later today,
CAT

Closed Thread