It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

gjeepn1557 HB User
Post RND in Children only? and the Difference between RSD and RND

I have just been going thought the message boards and I saw a woman say that she had RND. What is the differnce between RSD and RND? And can an Adult get RND?
I don't have the sensitive skin. Just the pain. Nerve pain.
Maybe the Doc was wrong. Maybe I don't have RSD but RND. Could someone tell me the difference?
I do have the shooting nerve pain that brings me to my knees( that hurts in itself) I have had 3 surgeries on my knee and am waiting for the "new knee". but the doc won't do it because he said I have RSD. but it is not sensitive to touch where it is painful.
Maybe I'm looking for light at the end of that dang tunnel!
Thanks
Gail

Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
(female)

betsyherm HB User
Re: RND in Children only? and the Difference between RSD and RND

I've never posted here before, but here goes nothing. Of course, in my first post I'm going to be all controversial and get people mad at me. But that seems to be my way.

RSD and RND are exactly the same thing. Anybody who says otherwise is either misinformed or is adhering to to an idea that has no scientific validity. RND is a term commonly used by a certain set of pediatric doctors who believe in a certain set of practices to treat whatever you want to call this stupid disease.

These doctors treat whatever-they-call-it with intensive physical therapy, and sometimes the very basic combination of Neurontin and Elavil. And they often get very good results with this treatment. Because although their theories are, in my opinion, ridiculous, the treatment is very basic, conservative and works in a great deal of pediatric patients.

Why is this a pediatric thing? Where did these theories come from? It comes from the fact that children often recover more readily from RSD, without invasive procedures. However, that doesn't make it a different disease. It's to be expected. Neuroplasticity (the ability of the nervous system to rerout and "fix" itself) lasts well into the 20s. Adults don't have that advantage, and more steps must be taken to retrain the nervous system.

My problem with all of this? I don't want to name names of doctors who have definitely helped some people, but some of them have published articles and whatnot solely blaming psychological factors for the development of RSD (or RND).

That doesn't make RND an illegitimate term for this disease. Really, I think it's a better name than CRPS. RND, standing for reflex neurovascular dystrophy, at least takes into account that there are vascular problems seen in RSD or RND. The most distressing part of this disease may be pain, but there are other things going on here.

And as for the lack of allodynia, you may just be lucky. Or maybe you don't have RSD. Whatever it is, I hope that you get relief.

Sorry for writing a novel. This is (obviously) something that annoys me!

-Betsy, first-time poster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjeepn1557 View Post
I have just been going thought the message boards and I saw a woman say that she had RND. What is the differnce between RSD and RND? And can an Adult get RND?
I don't have the sensitive skin. Just the pain. Nerve pain.
Maybe the Doc was wrong. Maybe I don't have RSD but RND. Could someone tell me the difference?
I do have the shooting nerve pain that brings me to my knees( that hurts in itself) I have had 3 surgeries on my knee and am waiting for the "new knee". but the doc won't do it because he said I have RSD. but it is not sensitive to touch where it is painful.
Maybe I'm looking for light at the end of that dang tunnel!
Thanks
Gail

Last edited by betsyherm; 05-17-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added comment about controversy and something about lack of allodynia.

The Following User Says Thank You to betsyherm For This Useful Post:
ptrepete (03-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

Hi Gail-

I'm in the same boat as you. I injured my knee (don't know how, just woke up one day with knee pain that turned into lots of swelling and lots of pain), had a lateral release done in October 06 and in January 07 RSD set in. I do not have the sensitivity to touch or any of the skin issues, but I do have burning, stabing pains, muscle cramps, swelling and all of that lovely stuff. The docs have questioned my rsd also, but can't come up with anything else.

From what I have read, Betsy sounds lik she is on the money! I think RND is just the term they use for kids. They have all the same symptoms as us though.

Hope you all have a great day! I am off to the acupuncturist....again! I will try anything!

Sherry

Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
(female)

betsyherm HB User

Thanks, Sherry! I've been wondering if I was going to get attacked for my strong-worded post. It's nice to be agreed with instead!

Pretty much all of what I wrote came from personal experience, having had RSD since I was 12 (I'm 24 now). I've been through a pediatric RSD program (as a highschooler). It certainly worked physically, and harmed me emotionally. The doctors were also able to convince my parents that I had developed RSD because I didn't have friends, when the truth was that I had few friends because I had RSD. But four hours of physical therapy a day has an effect despite the stress of being called mentally unstable.

-Betsy

Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Hi Gail,
I was diganosed with RSD also, I did have the symtoms but at differant stages of it... In the beginning I had alot more of the swelling, I don't have that all much anymore.. I never really had the sensitivity to touch.. Maybe a little when it burns really bad during a flare up... Vibration is a big one for me. (like if I am sitting the car and the radio is loud.. ) My Dr told me, not everyone has all the symtoms.. I hope this helps you out a little..
Take care,
Michelle

Old 05-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

gjeepn1557 HB User
Post Re: RND in Children only? and the Difference between RSD and RND

Hi everyone,
Well I just got back from the pain clinic in Boston, Now they tell me that he is 90% that I do not have RSD. Here we go again!
So now I need to go to ANOTHER doctor in Boston that deals with just nerve pain, I told him that I do not have sensitivity to touch. Just the burning stabbing pain inside the knee. So, now this Doctor that he wants me to see is a nerve doctor. Oh boy oh boy can't wait!!!! (being sarcastic all) Anyway, I figure if he is an expert on this RSD thing then IF he is right....I want the surgery to Fix my knee! I'll take my chances. There is nothing worse than listening to your knee joints rub and crack in your ears when your walking never mind the pain.
And for you Betsy... Why would you get attacked? This is place is suppose to be for your imput and opinions and suggestions. Besides, I am too tired lately to even judge other people never mind attack them !! LOL
Your opinon...Dulely noted.
Hvae a good night everyone
Gail:

Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
(female)

betsyherm HB User

If it's not RSD, I certainly hope they figure out what's wrong. And I hope it's something easily fixable too! I've known a few people who were misdiagnosed with RSD. It happens, because sometimes other nerve problems can mimic the symptoms.

I guess I was afraid of being attacked because I have been before, although not on this board. And it was a long time ago, when I was a brash young teenager. I also feel that this is a kind of controversial subject. There are people who live and breathe by the word of doctors who call RSD in children RND. And I also feel that it's a hard thing to criticize ANYTHING that may help people. It's the old philosophical issue of whether the ends justify the means. And since more intelligent people than I have disagreed on said subject, I'm sure I'm not going to have the deciding vote on it.

Have a good night!

-Betsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjeepn1557 View Post
Hi everyone,
Well I just got back from the pain clinic in Boston, Now they tell me that he is 90% that I do not have RSD. Here we go again!
So now I need to go to ANOTHER doctor in Boston that deals with just nerve pain, I told him that I do not have sensitivity to touch. Just the burning stabbing pain inside the knee. So, now this Doctor that he wants me to see is a nerve doctor. Oh boy oh boy can't wait!!!! (being sarcastic all) Anyway, I figure if he is an expert on this RSD thing then IF he is right....I want the surgery to Fix my knee! I'll take my chances. There is nothing worse than listening to your knee joints rub and crack in your ears when your walking never mind the pain.
And for you Betsy... Why would you get attacked? This is place is suppose to be for your imput and opinions and suggestions. Besides, I am too tired lately to even judge other people never mind attack them !! LOL
Your opinon...Dulely noted.
Hvae a good night everyone
Gail:

Old 05-19-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
(female)

gjeepn1557 HB User

Me too Betsy.
Just want this over.
thanks for the imput

Closed Thread