It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

Kashma HB User
RSD is back after remission

Hi, I am a 37 year old who had RSD in ankle back in 2004 and after 3 lumbar sympathetic blocks, it slowly started going away...

For two years I was so happy to be living pain free I did not think or know that RSD is never cured you are just in remission.

In March I suffered a miscarriage after a stressful In vitro fertiliztion pregnancy, the RSD showed up 5 days after my D&C, while I was stretching my leg.

I went immediately for lumbar sympathetic nerve block in April - 3 weeks after start of symptoms, and it just didnt go away...I have had my 4th block this Monday, and am getting scared. I was doing very well until my ankle started acting up and now I am limping around. I had a cane that I was using in 2004 but threw it away, thinking I would never need it again.

The blocks and medications I am on are helping. The Dr says that in this acute stage they hope to "break the cycle of pain" so hopefully the RSD can go away. I have no burning pain, or other symptoms, just sensitivity to cold going up my thigh and ankle pain that feels like hit my funny bone times 50!!!

I had to quit my job this week as I am having trouble walking.

I am really worried.. What else can I do to break this cycle of pain?

How do you know if you have sympathetically mediated pain or sip?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jaxobean HB User
Re: RSD is back after remission

Kashma,
When I first got it in 1997 mine went into remission as well. I never knew it could come back. Noone ever told me and for about 1 year it was great. No pain meds of anything. Then in 1999 I got kicked by an inmate at work and instantly I knew it was back. It has a mind of its own and I wish I could tell you what will help but who knows. You can only hope it will go into remission again.
I bet it was the stress of the miscarraige you poor thing. I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this while dealing with all of the other things going on. My heart goes out to you.
I wish someone told me it could come back because I would have changed my profession as a deputy sheriff. Who knows if it would have come back or not, but the kick did me in and ever since then most of my life since then has been fighting this disease.
I got a scs in Dec. 2006 and that caused it to spread to my leg. It has progressed so fast that I am in a wheelchair. I used a cane and then one night I could not step down. I went to crutches until it got so bad I am in the chair.
Try everything to try and turn it around. If you went into remission once maybe you will be lucky enough to do it again.
I will pray for you and all of us. I wish you luck and am so sorry about what is going on in your life...Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
(male)

SoCalRaider HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashma View Post
The blocks and medications I am on are helping. The Dr says that in this acute stage they hope to "break the cycle of pain" so hopefully the RSD can go away. I have no burning pain, or other symptoms, just sensitivity to cold going up my thigh and ankle pain that feels like hit my funny bone times 50!!!
Kashma, the good news is that it looks like you've found a great doc with a very aggressive approach. From what I've seen, people who can aggressively treat the RSD at the earliest stage possible overwhelmingly tend to have the best outcomes. Stay in this doc's ear and try everything possible to "break that cycle of pain" the doc is talking about.

I wish you the best!!!

Old 06-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

If the blocks provide 100% yours is SMP pain rsd tyoe 1, I wish an pray this worksfor you.

jon

Closed Thread