It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

pattihabs HB User
anyone having daytime sleepiness with rsd??? help!

hi. have had rsd for 1 and 1/2 yr and the last 6 mo or so, i can't stay awake during the day. i have had to pull over many times with my 8 yr old in the car because i could not stay awake. this is very scarry... my pm gave me provagil for narcolepsy. anyone else have this problem??? now i take sleeping pills at night and wake up pills during the day... wow, what next??? this rsd justs changes everything.. i have soo many problems that i never had before rsd. just gets worse every month.. oh well, have a great night everyone, patti

Old 07-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User
Re: anyone having daytime sleepiness with rsd??? help!

My husband has the same problem. He tried Provigil and didn't get much benefit from it. Now he is trying Strattera (usually for hyperactivity in kids) and it is actually working. He says he does not feel sleepy during the day. He still sleeps OK at night, but sometimes uses Zanaflex to go to sleep. Are you on methadone? That is notorious for putting people to sleep. (He is on it.) Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

I have issues being tired during the day. I have recently had some pretty bad short term memmory problems as well. I dont remember all of my conversations I engage in and forget important parts of them. My better half always comes along on the important stuff like IME related appointments and remebers what is said like a hawk. I have also "blacked out". This is the reason I have not been around.

Apparently, My bird died a few days ago. My better half said I walked in the room looked at the cage and "sighed" she then thought I understood and didnt bother saying anything. Getting home from work I went to the back room to his cage to get him out and give him some play time and freaked out. thought he got out and searched the house frantically thinking the cats got him. called my better half in a tizzy and she said "I thought you knew"... Explained to me what happened, what I did and everything... seems as though im loosing places in time now.

Jon

Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

pattihabs HB User

hey sunny, i actually just started on meth but been having sleepiness problem for much longer. my doc did say yhe meth will also make me sleepy. the provigil is not wrking for me at all. i will mention the med you mentioned to my doc and try that. thank you for your reply...patti

Old 07-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

pattihabs HB User

hey jon, i also am having problems with short term memory. my hubby and family get so aggrivated that i don't remember. makes me upset. i tell then it's the meds but i'm not really sure what it is. i also get bad headaches but this is probably due to the meds. boy, this rsd thing affects all parts of the body and brain. it really sucks... oh well, at least i'm still alive...hope you feel better...patti

Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Hey Jon,
I have had short term memory problems for a while now.. Even when I wasn't taking the meds.. I thought at first it was the meds.. Apparently I was wrong.. When my insurance co stopped paying everything I was off meds for almost a yr.. I couldn't afford them myself. so I was on noting. And the short term memory just keeps getting worse..
I jsut had a depostion last monday. My lawyer went over everything with me.. When i got to the depo. I forgot that fast.. I drive my family crazy.. Now I catch myself.. I'll say to them.. I just asked you that didn't I?? The look at me with a smile.. Yes you did... That scares me alot.. People say to me why dont you try to get a desk job. Well I could.. the short term memory scares me.. I feel dumb.. I lost all confidense.. I worked in a pedicatrics office. I don't think I could work in a drs office again..
Michelle

Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

My uncle is a internist down in Tampa FL. He has a small practice and the same receptionist and nurse for over 18 years. I know how the medical field treats their own... Unless you have blood running out your eyes or have a severed limb. Shut up and get on with it. lol "Nurses eat their young" a whole slew of things. but those 2 comments I made are very true...

My mother was a surgical RN. Growing up I spent alot of time ni the hospital running around and seeing some really cool things. got to watch open heart surgery. It was a awsome childhood I think. Well atleast im glad I got to do it. It all applies now. The Latin roots to all the medical terminology. Understanding what I read when it comes to the human body and what not.

Anyways, two thumbs up for working in a ped office

Jon

Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

jaxobean HB User

Hey Guys,
I used to be like the energizer bunny on crack and now I am like the no name battery turtle on pot. I know a lot of it has been depression from being in the wheelchair and all of this happening so fast, but I am so tired and so scared. Really one of the best things that has happened to me lately is trying to help people here. It is one of the only things that has brought me a feeling of self worth lately. I feel so useless sometimes. I am so limited and especially right after the stim not only being in the chair but on top of that having all of the post-op limitations on me as well it is really tough. I haven't felt this down in a bit but I am getting pretty low and that hole is starting to close in hopefully tomorrow the sun will be shining and the outlook will be much better. That's all we can ask for right. It is just one of those times where I just want to stand on the top of my roof well ok sit and just scream until I am either committed or I lose my voice. Good night everyone...Nik

Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

hey jaxo, I was and I am depressed. there is NO pill for this unfortunately. what I do is always dig for something positive in a good pile of BS. Im not saying I enjoy playing with our fecal friends but there is always a positive to be had.

I talk to a local girl out of my PM's office who has this. At first it was alright but it started turning out to be depressing. She has let loose of her hopes and dreams. You havent. I had to creatively give her a choice in that either we were here for support of each other or nothing.

You need to look at what you have accomplished. When I was sent to war I looked at my time there differently. Some droned on about how bad it was. I always looked for the fun in it Everyday. You know, despite all the killing and what not I got to seesome of the most beautiful scenery around. Opium flowers.. the fields were something out of a dream. I met and made friends with foreign soldiers who I still keep up with today. I helped lead one of americas most prestiegest units.. the 101st.

im not thumping my chest just showing there is always something good. Something that also helps is humor. I watch it everyday and when there isnt any to be had i make my own.

If you have given anyone empowerment it has been me. You armed me with the facts on SCS. Given me feedback on it and have alleviated my fears. Atleast I can go in and speak intelligently about it now that I know what to ask.

Jon

Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

jaxobean HB User

Jon,
Thank you, I was just down last night. I think it was just that I was just me going down on my methadone too fast. It just might be chemical because they are more like swings because they are way up. My husband keeps feeling my forehead because things are just not bothering me at all and I am like no sweat hunny. I mean I am normally like that but over things that would normally bother me. But late at night when I am alone and thinking I get sad and I shouldn't be. I am similar to you, noone even knows how bad things are because I always keep a brave face and say things are fine.
Thank you, but I am curious why don't you like playing in your fecal matter?
Today my mom came over and from a trip from San Antonio and I stood up and walked to her and for a minute she kept talking and then she was stunned and then she was speechless and I hugged her and kissed her.
I was thinking just to be able to walk and hug and love. We all could not have our mental capacity and that snapped me out of this.
I am trying to think of it like this god is trying to show me what I have and to appreciate it and that is making me a better person and it it truly is.
I look at things the even smaller things and I am living better. I always have but even moreso now. It has to be the methadone and I already put a positive spin on that if that is the only side effect- rock out...
I was also having pain and was bummed today because my stim felt like it was burning and my leg hurt, I was at first down and like great I get my hand lose my feet. Get my feet and now the burning watch something wrong with the stim. I was like there is always extreme happiness and then dissappointment and then I figured I should call my pm and let him know about the methadone and mysuspicions and yup mood swings. So you know when you find out something is causing something and it is only short term and it changes your outlook? Well now I feel great, I really do. I think no matter how bad and burnt the grass looks is always dirt and weeds somewhere else- I just pulled that out of my asno...lol Thanks for the beautiful Halmark card it made me feel much better!!! Nikki

Closed Thread