It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

numbing hands HB User
Dr. Robert Schwartzman

Hi All,
I was trying to make an appt with Dr. Schwartzman this morning and learned that he has a 2 year wait for RSD patient. Regular neuro's appt is 6 month wait. I know he is a well known expert. My question is: Is there any treatment other doctors can not provide except Dr. Schwartzman? Since there is a two year wait, if your provider is willing to consult with Dr. S for treatment plan or option, will Dr. S willing to provide so that the poor RSD patients will not be left out in the dark waiting for ever.
Anita

Old 07-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User
Re: Dr. Robert Schwartzman

Hi Anit,
Iam a pt of his.. Your are right there is a very long waiting list for him.. I was being treated by orthoped dr for herniated dics. I had all the symtoms of RSD but was not diganosed with it yet.. My first appt with him he said right away. You are a canidate for surgery but I cannot do it cause I think you have RSD.. Right then and there he put a call into Dr S.. Dr S, told him what meds he wanted me to start on and in the mean time make an appt with him.. I waited that long to him too.. During that time if I had any problems I would call my ortho and he would put a call into Dr S...
Since I have actually seen him. I have to say it was well worth waiting for him.. I have gone in for a Lidocaine infushion, which has done wonders.. Iam on a waiting list for another one..
So I say please make that appt.. Go to pain management or a neuro in the mean time. Dr S is willing to work with any dr.. His head nurse carol is great.. She will answer any questions too.. He knows his stuff.. He's all over the internet If you look him up.. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask..
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Michelle,
I am just curious, did you have your spine surgery yet or are you waiting to have your RSD taken care of first?
I wonder should i try to be on Dr. S waiting list even though i am so far away from him.
Anita

Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Anita,
How are You? No I didn't have any surgery. The dr seems to think if they control the RSD he feels that my cervical symtoms may go away. So I'll have to wait.. As for going to Dr s. That would be up to you.. Financially it would hurt you. You could call his office. I am sure he can refer you to someone near you. He's well known world wide. It wouldn't hurt to put your name on the list and in the mean time look for someone else close by. When the time comes if you found someone just cancel your appt..
What meds are you taking right now for pain?
Michelle

Old 07-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Michelle,
I am taking Lyrica, Ultram, for my pain for the time being. My hands get really painful after i use them. The best moment is right after i get up in the morning. Did you also have that experience? As the day go by, the pain get worse. However, when i take a walk in the evening, my hands pain subsided except more pain on my soles of both feet.
Have a nice weekend!
Anita

Old 07-22-2007, 06:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Anita,
My hands get painful after I use them. When I wake up in the morning they are usually swelled up. The first thing I do is put a heating pad on them.. Or just hold my hot cup of coffee. Walking is reallly hard on me.. not at the time but when I get home I usually flare up alot. maybe an hr to two afterwards. It doesn't take much. Stress is a killer for me too.. Just menstrating causes flare ups for me. How about climate. Do you see any differance in the change of climate. In the winter Iam a mess. Just going outside for a short period of time then coming into a warm house will flare me up.. In the summer its the humitity.. I hate it.. Remember not every one is the same.. In general the symtoms are the same.. Hope you have a painfree weekend. Take care........Michelle

Old 07-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Michelle,
Thanks for sharing! I don't know whether or not climate will impact me at this time. I live in California. The weather here is very pleasant in the Summer. Are you still drinking your coffee? I thought Coffee was bad for RSD. I quit for one week. But too much stress, so i started to drink coffee again. I could not sleep last night again. I think i need to see a psychiatrist as well. What a mess. Since you have mentioned about hurting your hands after you use them. Do you think wearing a glove will help? I am thinking going to look for a cotton gloves. What do you think?
Anita

Old 07-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Anita,
I would try the gloves. My neighbor has RSD... She doesn't talk to the rest of the neighbors. But she injured her hand at work yrs ago.. She walks her dog everyday and I see her wearing a while glove.. For me personally I think it would bother me more.. If you hands hurt just from the air.. I would try it.. Can't hurt.
If it makes you feel any better.. I went to therapy for a while.. I thought I was going crazy myself.. It did help a little.. I felt like it was mostly for me to vent.. I didn't learn much from it.. My attitude towards all of this is, it is what it is.. I 've have been through alot since I was 16.. I was in a bad auto accident.. Lost my eye site in left eye.. Had 16 surgerys just for that.. I really could write a book.. Then I was in this accident and got RSD. So.. I mean god but me on this earth for something.. Don't know what yet, lol lol but I'll find out one day.. Who knows.. The therapyist use to explain to me.. sometimes when people have had alot of trauma in their life they learn to deal with stress and situations alot better.. I think thats where I am at.. but don't get me wrong I totally understand what your feeling and I feel for you so much.. I think its great that you keep getting up every morning and go to work.. Sitting around isn't good for RSD either.. I hear where your coming from regarding losing your house.. I already did.. I went into forelcosure last June.. By the grace of god.. my boyfriends brother bought the house from me and got me out of it.. I don't own it right now. I am hoping one day. After fixing my credit.. and receiving lawsuit money for this RSD that I can buy the house back from him and pay it off. Thats my goal.. If I don't.. then so be it.. What can I do..
Is it possible to take a short term of disability in CAlf. I know PA they don't offer that.. I wish they did.. I lost insurance everything.. I picked up the peices. You would be surpised how much help you can get from the state.. I get discounts on my electric.. I have state insurance.. Doesn't cover the RSD but, covers all else. I had someone come in and weatherize my house. Fix holes in my house from my lovely son. ( who has anger problems).. etc.
Its nice to know there is some help out there..
I hope you have a painfree nite.. I am hoping I do.. I kind of had a bad day too.. The humitiy is starting back up.. I should of never turned my air off.. It has to be about 72 for me to no flare up from climate.
Talk to you soon..
Michelle

Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
(female)

cmk649 HB User
Question Re: Dr. Robert Schwartzman

Hey there Michelle,
Have a question. I see a lot of people on this site talking about law suits and lawyers. I wonder if i am a candidate for a law suit. I would never have had the knee surgery that flared up this RSD if the radioligist who wrote the report from my MRI had not muffed it. You see I went to the doc because of pain in the knee. Went for an MRI. Brought the pics to the ortho surgeon and I guess he could not see much so asked his nurse to call over and get the written report. That report said I had 2 complex cartalidge tears and 2 cysts. When ortho did the surgery he said my knee was clean as a whistle. showed me textbook pics of the surgery, not even a little arthritis. He said for my age (53) thats very good. So basically he went in my knee for nothing. Can I sue the Radioligist? Just a thought, can sure use the money to keep my house. Hello to all, at home today could not make it to work. Hope I don't get fired. Stay safe and pain free!!
Cathy

Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #10
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for your sharing! I hope you will win your lawsuit and get some $ back. If you happen to read this post, I am wondering when will you see Dr. S again. I wonder whether or not you can help me to ask him some questions re: nerve block for RSD. Did you have your nerve block on your neck done by him? Did they put steriod or just anesthetic? I am confused. Today, i went to see a neurologist and he said he just put anesthetic, no steriod in the block, a series of 5 to 6 blocks. However, when i read the Dr. H's information, he puts steriod so that people will obtain 2 to 4 months of relief instead of just a few hours. Who can we ask to verify this mystery?
By the way, i have not been sleeping. I am taking time off from work to go to doctor's appt this week and next week. I don't know if i can still get temp disability from CA because i am already on partial permanent disability due to my pelvic pain.
Please reply if you happen to read this post!
Anita

Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Anita,
Sounds like your starting to move in the right direction.. I am sorry to hear your having so many sleepless nites. Hopefully you can rest up a bit during the day..
I just saw DR. S in June.. I should be going shortly for my lidocaine infushion. I will see him then.. He comes every day..
As for my blocks. I had a epidural steroid injection. It consisted of a mixture of local anesthetic and steroid. They were done by my PM. I do know that Dr S does have his pts get them.. Each person is differant. He doesn't do it personally Its usually done by PM.
I don't alot about the other ones. It didn't help me at all. I was told it will help determine if its independant RSD. Although it did help my herniations.
It might be wise for you ask the dr more questions about and ask him the differance in them. I would if I felt unsure about it..
I am glad your taking off a little.. It will give you some time to rest. So is this your course of treatment now?
Michelle

Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #12
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

Anita

You should probably look into going on full social security. You are also elegible for lower PG&E rates as well. Go to their web site and you can pull up the form from there.

I also have trouble sleeping ( I think we all do), my doc gave me Tamazapan (sp?) works good for me on those nights.

As for the therapy, when you get into the pain management clinic at Kaiser, part of the program includes therapy. I did seek out therapy prior to going to PM, but none of the shrinks in that department knew anything about RSD. The shinks in the PM know lots about it.

Hope this helps.

Sherry

Old 07-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Thanks Sherry and Michelle!
Sherry-Are you still with Kaiser PM? What have they done on you and did it help? Are they just offer blocks and some other therapy?
Anita

Old 07-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
(female)

ginger22 HB User

hi i am also a rsd patient. i have heard alot about dr schwartzman was wondering if you are a patient of his

Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Hey sixftblnd,

I thought it was too cool when my PM sent me to a shrinker for the SCS trial. He was really cool to talk too and extremely knowledgable. He may not have RSD but atleast he has a good concept of whats going on phyically and mentally. Im going to see him on the 2nd of next month to learn some pain coping tools. I think this might benefit me. anyway, just wanted to comment

Jon

Closed Thread