It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

judiev331 HB User
Accupuncture--has anyone tried?

I recently was encouraged by a new friend to look into Accupuncture. I did and I liked what I heard. Has anyone tried it?

The side effects from the Lyrica are getting to me.............so I'll do most anything.

Judie:

Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
(female)

numbing hands HB User
Re: Accupuncture--has anyone tried?

Hi,
I have tried one session. Since i can't communicate with the accupunctist, I decided to stop. I too would like to hear from others who had tried.
Anita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

I see an accup. on a pretty regular basis. Since I started I have had improvement. I have also been seeing a chiropractor along with it. My accup. knows more about rsd that most of the docs I have seen. It has been a trial and error thing too. He used tens on me. That flaired me up. He can only use the needles in certain areas. If he uses them directly in my knee, it flairs it up. He turned me on to some herbal cream that I just love. He also has worked some physical therapy in too. I think you have to go in with an open mind and be willing to try things and be ok with some of the things flairing you up. That's how you get to what will help. The chiripractor has really helped also. Keeping my back, hip and knee aligned helps alot.

Last time I went to the accup. he used the cups on my back. It's when they suction these cups on your back supposedly to bring more blood flow to the area . It was different. It left hickie marks on my back for a couple of days. I asked him if my husband could just give me a couple of hickies on my lower back. We got a laught out of that.

I think you should try it.

Anita- you should give it more time. Find what works for you. My guy is at Vallejo Kaiser. I know it's a long drive for you, but he's good. He's an older guy; been doing it a long time. Does the guy your seeing know about rsd?

Sherry

Last edited by sixftblnd; 08-17-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Needed to add info.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Sherry,
I like the section cup that you have mentioned. Last year i had accup weekly for 7 months for my pelvic pain. Due to no long lasting effective, i stopped it. Can you ask you accupunctist to recommend someone more closer to my area from SF to SJ?
To answer your question, i don't know whether or not you saw my other post. I finally saw a PM doc in SF Kaiser, the chief of the Chronic Pain Dept, he said i don't have RSD. He said my symptoms were reaction to the IV trauma or invasive procedure. Is the Vallejo Kaiser doc a PM doc? Do you think he knows how to dx RSD with an open mind?
At this point, i am willing to try anything and everything.
Please reply if you happen to see this post.
Anita

Old 08-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
(female)

momcat4 HB User

I think there is a branch of one of the training schools for oriental medicine in the SF Bay Area. They would be a teaching school for acupuncture, acupressure, massage, etc., and might be a place to seek out. Most training schools are well supervised and low cost, and sometimes they take insurance for treatments. I know many people, including myself and my daughter, who have found some relief from pain with these methods. Hopefully, if you decide to look into it, you will as well.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

Anita- I do have a PM in Vallejo as well. It was my ortho doc that diagnosed my rsd. My PM has treated many rsd patients though.

So your pm said it's not rsd. My pm doc said to me in our discussions that you can get rsd from I V trauma. Did he explain to you why it's in your arms? How long will it last? Why is it in your other hand? What's the treatment?

Another way of looking for an accup would be to call around to a few chiropractic offices and ask them if they can referr you to a good accup. in your area.

Sherry

Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

judiev331 HB User

Ok guys.......thanks for the input. Keep it coming I decided I had exhausted all other non-invasive methods, so why not try.

I had my second "treatment" yesterday. Yes, the language barrier is difficult. I'm lucky. I have a friend that speaks Mandarin. I call her and she talks to him & finishes the explanation. I usually get a good part of it. So far my legs have responded positively. I was so scared of a flare.............but it didn't flare. The sensations are weird. He tried adding a machine to the needle.....like a tens. That did not work.

He put me on 2 herbal preparations. One to increase metabolisim and the other as a added diuretic. We'll see on those. Right now I'm not sure if it's the increased exercise (I joined a gym with water aerobices) or the herbs.

The higher doses of the Lyrica still give me a headache. I cut the dose back & the rest is up tp the accupuncture.

Sorry for rambeling. Just don't want to get too excited & be dissapointed,

Hugs

JudieV

Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Sherry,
I am very frustrated with Kaiser. The PM in SF kaiser said he did not believe i had RSD the only thing he offered me was bio-feedback. He said no more nerve block or any invasive procedure. He did not explain why i have symptoms in my hands and arms. Actually, my symptoms have already spread to my feet about a month ago. I am pretty sure i have RSD not just nerve pain because i did not have these type of symptoms prior to the IV trauma. The most obvious symptoms are the drying and wrinkly skin on my hands and feet, the different shade of red on my palms and the balls of my feet besdies the stiffness and burning and sensitivity.
What is the name of your doc at vallejo? Do you think he know some doc closer to me who can dx and treat RSD, in Fremont area, Santa Clara, Oakland, etc.
Anita

Old 08-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

Anita-

It's Dr. Kevin Chen. I don't think I can put a phone number on here for you, but if you call Vallejo info ask for Kaiser Spine Clinic. He is in with those guys.

I don't understand what they are telling you. What's there reason for it spreading to your feet? And why the color changes?

Sherry

Closed Thread