HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/)
-   -   I finally saw Pain Mgt Doc (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-crps/534743-i-finally-saw-pain-mgt-doc.html)

Michelle1982 09-17-2007 10:49 PM

I finally saw Pain Mgt Doc

Hey everyone,

I have been reading the posts everyone has been writing for the past few days. I havent been around a whole lot because I've been concentrating on my online classes since that's the only thing that I can concentrate on being home day after day.

Today I finally got to go see the pain mgt doctor. He was very good, he took time to talk to me. I brought my dad, and he was very skeptical over this whole thing from the beginning. Now he understands a lot more and has seen first hand what my foot looks like and what pain I'm in when it's not elevated.

One weird thing was that my temp was 100.3 degrees and my blood pressure was really high. I ALWAYS have excellent blood pressure, this was the first time this has happened. They want to keep and eye on it cause I'm young, only 25.

So he gave me some options of treatment. In the end what we decided on is he put me on Neurontin, I have to build up to 300 mg 3 times a day. Then I will start physical therapy twice a week, and he scheduled me for a sympathetic nerve block on Oct 23rd. Each doctor I have seen (orthopedic, then neurologist, now this guy) all confirmed it's RSD and they want to treat it to see if I can make it go into remission. I'm very hopeful this is going to be a good thing. I just wanted to let all of you know.

Thanks so much for all the support you guys give. I'm so sorry for all of you dealing with WC, I'm beginning my fight now. I hope all of you are having good nights and I'll talk to you later!!

Michelle2

sixftblnd 09-18-2007 08:40 AM

Re: I finally saw Pain Mgt Doc

Yeah! I am so glad you found a good doc to work with. It's been very comforting for me to have docs that know what I am going through and are willing to help me. Good luck with the blocks.

Sherry

judiev331 09-18-2007 10:46 AM

Wonderfull!! Nothing eases my mind better than knowing I have docs I can rely on. There ia another site where family members can find information and support. I don't think I'm allowed to mention the site. I'll check later & if it's ok I'll post it.

Hugs

Judie

mixtinn 09-22-2007 06:13 PM

Michelle 2,
Sounds like your going in the right direction.. I was put on neurontin.. It really does help.. Don't get discouraged it takes a while for it to work.. If I remember correctly It took almost 6 weeks to where I felt a differance. You might feel really tired and sick to your stomach. You also get the feeling of being drunk.. It all goes away after taking it for a while.. In time you won't even have any side affects at all.. If I didn't have neurontin.. I dont think I would sleep at night.. If I forget to take a pill.. I have the involuntary muscle movement all nite, the burning is horrible. I hope you positive response from this.. Keep in touch and let us know how you do..
Michelle 1

Michelle1982 09-27-2007 08:33 PM

Hi Michelle1,

Thanks for the advice about the Neurontin. A lot has happened since I last posted. I actually went back to the first doc I saw, the one that put my cast on and said I shouldnt be in pain after he took it off. Well, I have been waiting around for all these docs to tell me to do something, and nothing has been happening. I went to this one on Tues, and he agreed that it was RSD, and that the docs I've seen was the right path. So he told me we need to treat it aggressively. I need to be walking on it no matter how much pain I'm in. He shot me right up to 300 mg 3 times a day for the neurontin, and said I could go up to 600 mg if that wasnt doing much by calling. He prescribed the Lidocaine patches (which dont do much, I dont really like them). Then he put me in phys therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks. He said he doesnt want it going up my leg, and that I was going to be in a LOT of pain but I can get through it.

Doesnt it figure, the one I didnt want to see anymore is helping me the most now. I just wanted to go back and prove him wrong and he ended up agreeing!! I have been in SO much pain the past couple days, but I am doing everything they are telling me. I did find out, however, that they are going to process me out of the Army. All the docs have told me that although I may get better and function ok, I'll never be ok enough to make it through basic training. This has crushed me, but everything happens for a reason right? I'm not meant to be there.

The meds have made me sick to my stomach, but luckily I'm not as tired as I could be. I'm going on my 3rd week taking them. Anyways, just wanted to let you know. Hope all is ok with everyone and not in too much pain!!

Michelle2