It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

nichole72 HB User
Is My RSD causing swelling?

Hello Everyone,
My question is about swelling and RSD. My original RSD site is my right upper arm and it has spread to my left arm. Now for weeks my legs have been hurting and the last week I noticed that both my ankle's hurt. This weekend they really were hurting. Today, I went back to work after my 2 days off and when I went to put my shoes on, OUCH!!!! I looked down and both of my ankle's and feet were swelled up. I know must swelling is due to retaining water but with RSD? Can anyone give me any feedback, is this RSD related or has anyone had this happen to them? The only new med I'm on is topamax but I have been on it for 2 weeks and I read about the side affects(nothing). Anything would help. Thanks!

Nichole

Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
(male)

Jamesy_Boy HB User
Re: Is My RSD causing swelling?

excessive edema (swelling) is a symptom of rsd itself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Nichole,
I use to think the same thing at first when I would go to put my shoes on my feet would hurt so bad.. or If i was sitting for a while and go to stand up they would feel so tight. My knee do that too.. So now around the house.. I wear my nice soft slippers.
Hope this helps..
Michelle 1

Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
(female)

nichole72 HB User

Michelle 1,
Thanks! I have tried that lately with the cozy slippers and it does help a little. It's the mornings, when I just wake up(OUCH).

Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
(female)

angel741 HB User

If what the doctors say is true and I do have RSD then that is what they say is causing my swelling I can't say about yours. I did find several websites about RSD tonight but I am still reading. Sorry I am really new like yesterday new.

Last edited by angel741; 09-22-2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Nichole

Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mixtinn HB User

Nichole,
Listening to you brings back so many memmories. A place I never want to go back to.. Just putting my feet on that rug in the morning when I would step out of bed hurt so bad. I so sorry to hear your going through this.. Just keep the slippers right by the bedside.. Its hard I know.. I wish I could give more advice.. How long have you had RSD for.?? Are you experiencing any involuntary muscle movement.. Like the feeling of having to move the legs around all the time? That was the worst for me.. And the sweating.. Its been a while now.. Most of the symtoms are gone and changed to a deeper bone and joint pain.. I do swell up, not as much.. I think you have to learn what sparks it.. I use to write down what I would do everyday. I wanted to pin point what flared me up.. RSD has a mind of its own... I did learn if I walked alot one day.. I would be in pain mostly the next or the following day... Even being imtimate was tough.. That I would pay for, for the following four days.. (It was worth it though LOL LOL)... Alot of heating pads. They work the best.. NO ICE> Mistake... I used that for over a yr, before I was DX...
Michelle 1

Old 09-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
(female)

nichole72 HB User

Michelle 1,
I do appreciate all your advice, with this I believe you need all the help you can. I was dx back in Jan 2007 but I had my nevres hit back in dec 2006. It hasn't been long but it seems like a lifetime! The Rsd is in my arms, I do have swelling and nevre pain in the arms(mainly the right one). The left arm is starting to mimic the right but there is more joint and muscle pain. The muscle and joint pain is in both arms, shoulders and the upper back(mainly around the scars of scs). Then all the sudden my legs upper and lower start have alot of muscle and joint pain then the pain in the feet and swelling(more the right). My pm sent me in for some more test to see if the RSD is spreading. I have wonder if I have fibormalaygia(?). I do have to walk alot with my job so I'm just like you I feel it afterwards. I have to fight with everything I got to get up to even go to work. The swelling did go down after 2 days staying off my feet for the most part but still hurt! I do move my legs alot just trying to just to get them to stop hurting. I also have been experiencing alot of tingling in my right lower leg,ankle and foot. Did that ever happen with you? It's just so fustrating because as things progress with your pain and body, your left with that question is it RSD related. Do you know how quickly RSD can spread, I heard in some case quickly other slowly. You start to believe is it in your head. Any advice you have I will take. Thanks again. I wish you a bless and pain free day!

Nichole

Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
(female)

tkb HB User

I have awful swellings in my knees, calfs, ankles and feet, it gets worse if i've been on my feet a long time. My ankles really hurt, they throb really bad and i have to rest and put my feet up, it freaks me out sometimes i feel i cant get to the bottom of this why it all flares up, if i do nothing it flares up but i do get up and about they flare up worse, i've learnt to just stop and rest, when i wake on a morning my ankles are quite deflated but within 10 mins or so of getting up they start to swell, i find bending and reaching the best i can and carrying really makes them bad, i'm confused about it all, it seams it does have a mind of its own, when i write a diary of events for my pm there doesnt always seam to be a link or obvious reason why they swell, or well at least im not on my own on this one.
best wishes on your quest tkb

Old 09-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Nichole,
Its Michelle1 my screen name has changed.. The answer to your questions are yes, yes and yes.. I have experienced everything you are.. The tingling. The deep muscle pain, joint pain.. You are right.. RSD has a mind of its own.. When you talked about blaming all our achs and pains on RSD.. Thats so true.. I think it is the RSD.. My dr put it this way to me.. Just picture wires inside you short circuiting.. Thats whats happening to us.. Our nerves are short circuting to our brain. They go crazy.. Thats why we feel such crazy, speradic (spell?) pain.. ..
The fibromyalgia, almost always comes with RSD.. Caulgsia. All the same..

TKB, I use to write everything down. I would go crazy trying to figure out what flares me up.. I have learned that sometimes for example: If Iam imtimate with my BF.. I won't feel anything for about 24 hrs later.. You would think I would wake up with pain.. I don't, sometimes I do.. most of the time its takes a day or so. Then I flare up.. The biggest thing for me is being on my feet to long.. I won't feel it at the time, hrs later I will.. and sitting in one postion to long.. Of course the weather. Thats always tough for me.. I can be inside in the air, and as soon as I walk outside in the humity and heat, my hands will start turning red right away..
well I hope you both find some relief.. Iam thinking of you..
Michelle1

Closed Thread