It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User
Finally, Some good news....

After 6 yrs. Iam finally settling with the insurance co.. but for some reason I am really nervous.. I feel like this is the end.. No one to back me up now..
I just feel weird. I told my lawyer. No amount of money is going to help this.. The most important thing is my medical bills.. Not even the pain and suffering money.. well thats helps for a while..lol lol.. I just want my medical bills paid for.. and I faught to the end.. I denied every offer. I finally got the max... plus medical bills paid for.. What a Long road.. Don't have the check in my hand yet.. I can't wait.. It will make my life easier..
Now I can focus on finding the right treatment for this ugly monster.. and start looking into Social security..
I was told a while ago I can't get it because of not enough credits.. I think thats nuts.. Its not fair.. I've been dealing with this for six yrs now.. So tired of it.. I can't help if I can't work. I tried all options. Iam out of them.. I guess I should hire a lawyer for disability.. I need something.. Money doesn't last forever..
Any suggestions....
Michelle1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
(female)

sixftblnd HB User
Re: Finally, Some good news....

Yeah Michelle!

Glad to hear it. You didn't mention if you get future medical. I hope that is part of your settlement and I hope they get the check to you soon.

Sherry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Sherry,
I do get future medical but, Iam only covered for $300,000 Sounds like alot but with RSD its really not.. It is what it is.. theres nothing more I can do.. I can't get anymore off of them.. I had to sue my insurance co.. This was an auto accident.. The lady who had hit me was only covered for $100,000
I setteled for $90,000 with her two yrs ago.. Of course you take the lawyers cut out of that.. Left me with $60,000. Not be able to work.. That money is gone.. When I get this check.. Iam putting it away.. Iam not touching it. I need it for my future.. What ever that is...
Michelle1

Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

Michelle1982 HB User

Michelle1,

Yay!! I'm so happy for you! That's great to hear! Now you will get everything back on track and you are so strong you will make things work out for the best. Good for you for not giving up the fight, it's finally ended! I'm so happy to hear that! Good luck!

Michelle2

Old 10-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
(female)

numbing hands HB User

Michelle,
I am very happy for you and at least for now you have one less thing to worry about. Since you are still not able to work, can you apply for SS disabled benefit? For your future medical bill benefit, does that include the unconventional treatment such as oxygen therapy?
Anita

Old 10-08-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle94 View Post
After 6 yrs. Iam finally settling with the insurance co.. but for some reason I am really nervous.. I feel like this is the end.. No one to back me up now..
I just feel weird. I told my lawyer. No amount of money is going to help this.. The most important thing is my medical bills.. Not even the pain and suffering money.. well thats helps for a while..lol lol.. I just want my medical bills paid for.. and I faught to the end.. I denied every offer. I finally got the max... plus medical bills paid for.. What a Long road.. Don't have the check in my hand yet.. I can't wait.. It will make my life easier..
Now I can focus on finding the right treatment for this ugly monster.. and start looking into Social security..
I was told a while ago I can't get it because of not enough credits.. I think thats nuts.. Its not fair.. I've been dealing with this for six yrs now.. So tired of it.. I can't help if I can't work. I tried all options. Iam out of them.. I guess I should hire a lawyer for disability.. I need something.. Money doesn't last forever..
Any suggestions....
Michelle1
Michelle,

You have alot of backbone. Fight these people! I think the "Credits" plan is aboslutely horrible. Ya, get an attorney. You will win in the end.

Jon

Old 10-08-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Thanks to all for responding...
I have never applied for disability.. A while ago I was told that I didn't have enough working credits towards disability.. I was a stay at home mom for yrs. I worked prior to children and then divorced and went back to school for medical assisting.. Worked two yrs then was in my accident. I don't thinks its fair.. It wasn't my fault I can't work.. So yea.. its going to be a big fight.. I need something. I can't depend on my boyfriend for the rest of my life. Even though I know he plains on sticking around.. What if something happens to him? What would I do then? I have threes kids to worry about..
The money I got from settlement will never make up for this RSD.. Its not all that much money.. Yrs ago I was in an auto accident. I lost my eyesite in my left eye.. I won A lawsuit then.. That money came and went.. lol. Acutally my ex is sitting pretty with half of it.. Living his life to the greatest.. Just upsets me so much.. Where I am sitting here with his 3 kids having the hardest time of my life with no help from him.. So I have learned money can come and go so fast. My plain is to get my house back in my name.. Put it all down on the house. Maybe invest some of it. Does anyone have any suggestions.. I use to invest in the stock market, mutual funds. Iam scared to do anything with it right now...
I don't know what it is.. but Iam so scared now.. This is it.. I felt like I always had my lawyer watching my back. Now I have nobody..
I do thank god my medical bills will be paid for.. Iam not sure about the oxygen treatments.. Something to look into.. So far they haven't denied me of any treatments yet.. This is through my auto insurance so I might have a good chance.. Something to look into..
Last nite I cried myself back to sleep.. I don'tknow what it is.. for some reason since I was in for the lidocaine infushion I've been a mess. So flared up.. My whole body. AT the time of treatment I was taken off my neurontin. I think it might be that.. It just shows me how much it has spread in the past 6 yrs.. I keep thinking what will I be like in the next 10 yrs.. Iam pretty much an active person.. its hard for me to sit still.. My mind wants to go, go, go, all the time.. Which I can do.. Boy I pay for it the next couple days.. Do you all go through the same thing.? Last nite.. I woke up through the nite.. Took my pain meds.. My stomach was really bothering me so I go up to take an antiacid.. Well being half asleep I did not realize it but I ended up taking to sudafed PE.. Let me tell ya.. For some reason it took all the pain away.. Something to ask my dr about.. IF thats all it takes, over the counter meds. I'll do it..
Iam going on now.. Sorry. Just been really down. I just can't get this feeling out of me knowing that its all over with the lawsuit.. Another thing that really bothers me.. The lawyer gets almost $50,000 from his.. Thats a killer.. I feel like saying to him.. Can you just give to me.. I need it more then you.. LOL LOL... I should of been a lawyer....
Well take care,
Michelle1

Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
(female)

judiev331 HB User

Apply for SS and see what happens. If you have a hubby...even ex see if you can apply under him. Takes 2 years to get medicare..........just know that getting a lawyer is good........SS listens to them more than us.....LOL.

Good for you............glad the case is finally off your shoulders......this disease is enough! Put the nest egg away. Find a good investment person and let it build. Then you can draw off the interst. You'd be surprised how quick it accumulates.

(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) ))))))))

Judie

Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

You know I heard once before that you can use the ex's credits.. My question is, even if he is remarried do you think I still could.. I do have a live in boyfriend.. so your saying If I was married to him I could use his working credits.? I mean I don't want to get married for the those reasons.. I want to be married when the time is right. Which it is.. Its been almost 7 yrs I've been with him..
Were not married now for other reasons.. like the kids going to college, I can get alot more grants towards their tution not being married . Single mom with 3 kids not working..
I guess I'll have to call a lawyer.. See what they say..
thanks,
Michelle1

Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gaollan HB UserGaollan HB UserGaollan HB User

I can't get SSD due to not having enough work credits in the right time period. I applied and was turned down, they won't back off that either. Can't use a husband's work credits.

I get a social security statement 3 months before my birthday. On that statement it tells you what and how much you qualify for in social security. The only thing I'm elibible for is Survivor's Benefits. LMAO! Well, I don't qualify for it but if I died this year hubby and our daughter would get money. LOL

If you don't have any money you CAN apply for SSI, which is for those who have VERY low income. I can't get that either and have been turned down because hubby makes too much money. I think it's just all screwed up the way they do things and definitely not fair.

I had been a stay at home too and had a few jobs here and there over the years. Had waited for my "baby" to get into first grade and went back to work. Had been at my job for just over 2 years when I got hurt on the job.

Hugs,

Karen

Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Karen,
I did hear about that.. SSI.. Right now Iam not working.. I only get child support. My boyfriend does live with me.. and I had lost my house because of RSD.. My boyfriends brother bought it from me.. Right nothing is in my name except debt. lol lol.. I forgot.. Our bank accounts are in both names.. I guess that would hurt me, since his paycheck goes in there..
I really don't have money.. If my boyfriend wasn't living with me.. I would be sunk.. Maybe I should apply.. I do get state insurance. I wonder if that helps..
Another problem I have is. I will be getting lawsuit money soon for the RSD.. If I were to apply, maybe I should hide that money. Put it in my daughters name.. Any suggestions?
For you Karen.. This is exactly what Iam afraid of.. Your hubby makes to much money.. Thats makes me so mad.. What would you do if god forbid something happen to him.. Then they would let you collect? I just don't think its fair at all.. Then you have these people who do collect and work under the table.. Its just not right...
Michelle1

Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
(female)

judiev331 HB User

oh Karen, thats horrible. There's nothing out there for those caught in the middle..........not poor enough to get aide & not rich enough to do it on your own! Makes me mad. There sould be some credit for stay at home Moms.

Judie

Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Judie, I think so too! It makes it seem, IMO, that stay at homes are somehow "punished" for, well, staying at home to raise the kids! I think the system needs a do-over big time to keep up with the times. Not everyone goes to work and as we all know, anything can happen at anytime and change our lives forever!

Quote:
Karen,
I did hear about that.. SSI.. Right now Iam not working.. I only get child support. My boyfriend does live with me.. and I had lost my house because of RSD.. My boyfriends brother bought it from me.. Right nothing is in my name except debt. lol lol.. I forgot.. Our bank accounts are in both names.. I guess that would hurt me, since his paycheck goes in there..
I really don't have money.. If my boyfriend wasn't living with me.. I would be sunk.. Maybe I should apply.. I do get state insurance. I wonder if that helps..
Another problem I have is. I will be getting lawsuit money soon for the RSD.. If I were to apply, maybe I should hide that money. Put it in my daughters name.. Any suggestions?
For you Karen.. This is exactly what Iam afraid of.. Your hubby makes to much money.. Thats makes me so mad.. What would you do if god forbid something happen to him.. Then they would let you collect? I just don't think its fair at all.. Then you have these people who do collect and work under the table.. Its just not right...
Michelle1
Michelle1, getting state insurance is actually a help. That shows right there that you're "poor" enough I think to meet the guidelines of SSI. Was the boyfriend living with you when you got it? If so, then the bank account with your name on it may not make a difference. But if you want to be cautious, sort of a better safe than sorry, then you could always just take your name off the account and that would settle it.

I would suggest you put the settlement under someone else's name for sure. I would think they'd look at that as "income" for sure. Again, better safe than sorry type thing as long as you can access it easily and take care of yourself and children. :-)

If something happened to hubby I would get his survivor's benefit which is quite a bit more than mine but would be next to impossible to survive on. Maybe then I'd get approved for SSI. *sheez* It's just sad all around and I want hubby around for a looooooooooooong time to come yet. No way would anyone ever come close to loving me or caring for me like he does. I'm so lucky to have found him and snatched him up before someone else did!

Hugs for All,

Karen

Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Karen,
AT the time when I applied. The bank accounts were in my name. His pay checks would go in to my account.. All he had to do is write a certified letter stating that he helps me out with the bills.
The only reason I got state health insurace is to them all I get is childsupport.. and They said that is for the kids not me.. So it shows that I make nothing.. They just wanted to see how all my bills are being paid..
As for assistance for electric etc.. I did not qualify.. They use my two older boys income.. for that reason. I was over the limit by two hundred dollars.. Crazy.. They're both in school.. They don't even make over $100/wk.. That just ****** me off..
So many I could apply.. I mean.. The kids get free lunches in school.. Funny, last yr applied for free or reduced lunches and I got reduced.. This yr.. Nothing has changed financially except I get state health insurance and this yr I get free lunches.. I wonder since I get state health, thats the reason why I got free lunches.. Hmmmm something to think about..
I just have one question.. With SSI.. do you have to have enough working credits? This where Iam confused.
Michelle1

Old 10-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

With SSI it goes by income only. There is no work credits or anything. SSD is the only part that goes by your work credits.

Karen

Closed Thread