It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
(male)

DaleZ HB User
Any success with sympathetic nerve block?

Hello,
Two months ago I fractured my left calcaneus (heel). Had ORIF (Open Reduction Internal Fixation), plate and screws installed. Still swollen and still hurts 24 7 but I have learned to live with it.
Saw my OS today and she took one look at it and was not pleased with what she saw. Said I have RSD and she ordered me to have a sympathetic nerve block.
Has any one had any success with this procedure?

Thanks Dale

Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User
Re: Any success with sympathetic nerve block?

dalez

I get my first on Mon. There are a lot of people here that get them and swear by them. I'd go ahead a get one and see how it works for you. good luck

Mary

PS. will let you know how it works for me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Hey Dale,

I have ran the series of blocks (6 in all) and all I can say was it was complete love. Best way I could describe my experiance was when she injected the block there was this warm fuzzy feeling that ran down my leg and the pain just melted away for about 8 hours. Others have had different experiances but 5 out of the six blocks did this quite well.. Only 1 where she just had trouble getting the needle to the "Sweet spot" she accidently hit a never and it felt like I got kicked in the croutch for a day or so..

Sounds like they have caught your symptoms really quick so it just might go into remission. Good luck and keep posting!

Jon

Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

Michelle1982 HB User

Hi Dale,

I go for my first one Oct 23rd, and the drs said it may or may not work. I'm hoping for the best, but we'll see. I was diagnosed about a month ago, so it's early and has a higher chance of working. I would definitely try it because there's that chance it may work. Good luck!!

Michelle2

Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
(female)

MammaT HB User

I have had two sympathetic blocks in three weeks. The first one lasted four days and was wonderful the second lasted two and that too was wonderful. Any relief if only brief is wonderful. I had three injections today in the office. One in the hand (since the first signs are showing after the iv site became irritated) and one in the sciatica (sp) and one in the periforma. Next Thursday I go for block in the sciatica (sp). My Dr, who is great, is trying to find the trigger for the RSD. Good luck and I certainly hope it works for you.
Kay-Lyn

Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

The Nerve Blocks not only help with pain but it also helps determine if the source of the pain is sympathetically-maintained or sympathetically-independent.. If you show sympathetically-maintained pain.. You may respond to additional blocks. People who have sympathetically maintained pain may experience impovement or relief of RSD pain with therapy directed at the sympathetic nervous system.. The prognosisi is more guarded for pts with sympathetically-independent pain.. because it is associated with the central nervous system which may result in more involvement of the orgrans and less response to treatment..
So I would say go for it.. It helps your drs determine which course of treatment to aim for..
Good luck,
'Michelle1

Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
(male)

DaleZ HB User

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement I will post the results next Tuesday.
Still trying to gather info on this condition it really bothers me when I donít understand the why.

Dale

Closed Thread