It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User
Winter months tips and tricks

OK everyone,

I think we need to post some tips and tricks for making the winter months more bearable. I know I sure could use some information on what everyone does. So please share!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
(female)

mimba46 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Winter months tips and tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodom1979 View Post
OK everyone,

I think we need to post some tips and tricks for making the winter months more bearable. I know I sure could use some information on what everyone does. So please share!

Hey Jon, whats up? One thing I do when I have to go out is, get those hand warmers like for hunters. You can get them at walmart in the sporting goods section. I put them in my gloves and socks!! for those of us that have it our legs. Also thermal socks are very good.
Well, tomorrow I see my doc wish me luck!! My grandson's Mom is in town from Fla. helping with HER grandmother and she has agreed to go with me. It always helps to have another body there for support. I'm really nervous about it. HE makes me that way. I never know what he's going to pull out of his hat next!
Anyway, this is all I can think of to do in the winter besides stay out of the cold completely. They really do help. I always buy a bunch at a time and stick them everywhere that that you want to stay warm!

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

sixftblnd HB User
Re: Winter months tips and tricks

I bought leg warmers for the winter. Jon, you may not know what this is, but it's like a sock without a foot. So I will wear thick socks with the leg warmer over the sock. You can get them to just come up to your knee or you can get them to go over your knee. I use the one under my knee because it's bad enough having sweats or pants on my knee. This helps me because if my leg gets cold it just sets everything off. The socks have to be thick because I have alot of tile in my house and it gets cold in fall and winter. So the cold tile floor just shoots through my foot and drives it into my knee.

I also use rice socks alot in the winter. Just fill up a long sock with rice, tie it at the end, throw it in the microwave for a minute or two and use it were you need it. I like to use mine at night when I am watching tv. My kids like to steal them too.

That's my two cents. Everyone stay warm!!

Sherry

Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

pattihabs HB User

hello everyone. winter is better for me. with my rsd the humid and summer kill me. i live in ct and here we are in oct and it was 88 and humid today. it has been like this all summer. i want to go to antartica(ok, not really) but i can't wait till the weather cools off. i always wanted to be a snowbird abd do fla. in the winter, not anymore. i want to go out west where there is no humidity. oh well, sorry to change your subject. i actually feel better that i vented though have a great night to all. hope everyone feels better soon, patti

Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Hey Everyone,

I have stocked up on the Lido patches. I plan on using them at night while in the cold. Im hoping they will allow me to wear coverall's to keep my leg warm. I never used coveralls before as I normally just wear jeans and a thick jacket. I'll see how it turns out. I just need something to kinda kill the "Skin pain" enough to where I can use them. Also since the I got this stuff My feet sweat horribly. So I guess I need to be changing socks throughout the night. I wish there was something to be done on the sweating.

Jon

Old 10-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Hey Everyone,
Hot Tub.. Two words.. Thats it.. Thats my dream.. For now I'll take alot warm baths and showers.. and I try to stay out of the cold all together.. Its been really hot and humid here in PA for October.. What bothers me the most is the change in temp.. If I go out in the humity and come in to the air back and forth.. Iam a mess at nite.. Just getting in and out of my car from the humity outside to the air in the car you can actually see my hands start changing color and start swelling..
Every nite I go to bed with slippers that you heat up in the microwave and a heating pad on my neck.. What a site to see. lol lol.. My boyfriend just loves the site of it.. lol..
Hope everyone has a great day..
Michelle1

Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

Jon, I have a little bad news about the patch. I hope it's not a problem for you, but it has been for me. Because the patch is moist, when it is cold out the moist side on my skin gets cold. Not good! I am going to try to wrap it with an ace bandage next time and see if I keep it tight on there maybe it won't get cold. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Sherry

Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
(male)

ld3340 HB User

Hey All,
Since losing pretty much everything I own to RSD, I like to go to the local Good Will and find some wood furniture to refinish. There are some really neat coffee tables etc. that are old and have a lot of style, they take time- in my case a lot of time to do, and my kids love em for xmas.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Thats a great idea.. I go to the goodwill all the time.. You can get some good stuff there.. You being out of work, did that make you lose everything? I am sorry to hear that.. Are you a victim of WC now? I hope you get something out of this.. Sounds like you have great outlook.. You know.. Since Ive been sick and can't give to my kids like I use too. They became better people from it.. They've learned how to bargin shop now.. and learned that money is not everything.. I guess something good came out of having RSD..
Michelle1

Old 10-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #10
(male)

ld3340 HB User

Michelle,
I had a decent life! I was single, great payin union electrical job, 5 kids and a few extras, Was hurt a work in a fall and put on comp. They just stopped payin! got an attorney and finally settled 2 years later for 75k with RSD - they said I couldnt prove where it came from. 35k went to the hospital and social services, 15k to support, 10 to the attorney and the rest was for rent owed!!! I think there was 1300.00 left!! Now I'm on social services again - fighting for social security! Social Security says I need more proof of depression...lol. I guess! I have bad days, but so do all of us! Thank you for caring Michelle, means a lot. Laurin

ps, I dont mean to complain, like she said, I have family. And I know things could always be much worse.

Last edited by ld3340; 10-09-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixftblnd View Post
Jon, I have a little bad news about the patch. I hope it's not a problem for you, but it has been for me. Because the patch is moist, when it is cold out the moist side on my skin gets cold. Not good! I am going to try to wrap it with an ace bandage next time and see if I keep it tight on there maybe it won't get cold. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Sherry
Hey Sherry,

I asked about it and was told to keep it as close to my chest as possible. Basically keep it covered. I alternate shoulders. I guess just keep it covered with warm clothing as well. What brand do you use if you dont mind me asking? This morning is rough! With this cool front I feel it. My knee feels like its been slammed. The muscles and joints in it are throbbing. I actually had to take a BT med.. I hope this winter is not as depressing as last winter was because of this stuff.. I put a warm wet cloth with a heating pad on top to warm it up seems to be helping.

Jon

Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Id3340,
Please don't ever think you complaining.. What one goes through is differant than the other.. It is still horrifing(spell?) for us in differant ways.. I can't believe thats all they gave you for RSD.. That doesn't even touch it..
That just goes to show you how much lawyers and drs don't know enough about RSD. RSD is a life time problem..
When I went in for depostion. I told the other lawyer straight out.. I was crying my eyes out.. I said, "I lost my eye site 20 yrs ago from an auto accident, had 16 surgeries.. I rather go through that again then have RSD.. RSD stops your life in everyway.." He said, how explain it to me.. I said... Maybe you need to come live with me for a week.. It affects every move I make every minute of the day.. I am reminded everyday of this.. and so is my family.. There is not enough money on this earth to make up for RSD.. I told him.. If you were to give me a million dollars or tell me I can get better.. I don't want your money.. I want to get better.. He's like.. Well you look fine.. I started getting so upset.. I said.. you know what.. Hire someone to come live with me.. Then you will change your mind..
My lawyer said I did so good.. Its true.. Theres never enough money to help you through life.. I did win $280,000 minus the 33% the lawyer takes out.. Not sure how much yet. plus medical bills.. I do feel lucky but it won't last.. I've been down this road before from first Auto accident.. Its sounds like so much.. For a life time its not..
Right now I depend on my boyfriend to hold up the fort. What if he wasnt here anymore.. What would I do then.. I won the Max.. I wasn't able to get anymore. Can't get what they don't have.. Thats what my lawyer says to me..
As for your depression.. How do you prove your depressed? Do you see a therapyist? I just get so angry listening to how our gov't takes care of us.. What the H*** is the differance if your depressed.. If your not thats great..
So you being depressed with determine if you collect or not.. Thats crazy.. You are still with RSD and will have alot to battle in your future.. I just want to scream at that.. See this is why I won't try to collect.. Mentally I can't go through that right now.. Not just yet.. I guess it takes a strong person.
Four yrs ago. I never though I would ever get through all of this.. My boy friend would say.. We will just take one day at a time.. He was right.. Some how we got through it.. I lost my house, my credit, a car ... lots of fights ...lol.. I think my kids though I was crazy at one point..lol.. at the end.. I am still here with all of us.. I always tell myself. There is someone out there worse off then me.. Thats what gets me through my bad days..
I use to see a therapyist. I stopped.. I rather just come on here and talk to people who know what Iam going through.. This is where it is.. Everyone is so nice and understanding.. If you feel something all you need to do is jump on here and say it.. and you such positive response.. Thats what we all need.. Compassion and empathy. Well, I hope you all have a good day.. This weather is horrible..
Take care,
Michelle1

Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #13
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

Jon

I am using Lidoderm patch that I apply directly onto my knee. It sounds like you are using something else. The problem with my patch is because it's on my knee when I walk part of it will lift off and then it gets the moist inside part cold. Like I said I am going to try wrapping it with an ace and see what happens.

Same thing out here in CA. Rain and cold front moved in on us yesterday and I was in alot of pain. I upped my meds and had to add pain meds last night. I couldn't take pain meds until the evening because I had to show our rental house to someone and I didn't want to drive with pain meds. I have to show it again today and then do walk through with the tenent that is leaving tonight. I just have to bite the bullet! Winter is going to blow! We are going to Hawaii for 10 days over Thanksgiving. I may just stay there! I think my kids and husband will probably drag me home though!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Sherry

Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
(male)

imadeamistaka HB User

Jon,

I use the thermocare wraps when I have to go out and it is cold and damp, they are kind of expensive but if you have to be out and about for a long period they do help. I tried the cheaper ones and they are not as effective.

Take care,
Jeff

PS I think Michelle was correct when she said there is always someone worse off than me, everytime my wife and I go to John's Hopkins and see all of the children hurt or in wheelchairs I say I don't have a care in the world. I cannot remember a day without pain anymore but my kids are healthy.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #15
(female)

mimba46 HB User

Hi everyone, I just thought of something else I do for the cold. You know those things that are filled with rice or something like it? You put them in the microwave to heat them up. They are great to put them in the bed at bedtime. The down side is when they cool down, you have to get up and nuke them again Then cover up so the heat stays in. But they are like a moist heat so thats good.

Stay warm and have below a 5 on the pain scale day

Kim

Closed Thread