It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
(female)

momcat4 HB User
Anxiety and Depression and RSD

Is it common for depression and anxiety/anxiety disorders to be significant issues for someone with RSD? Can they even be more overwelming than the chronic pain at times?

Old 10-19-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User
Re: Anxiety and Depression and RSD

I think I could safely say most of us have had anxiety or depression at times with RSD.. When I was first starting out with RSD.. I was going crazy.. Not knowing what it was, not sleeping, trying to work, the drs thinking your crazy.. All of that.. You know, just the unknown , no knowing whats happening next. Not knowing how to fix it.. all that combined with the lack of sleep, will cause depression.. Anxiety? I still have that.. Expecially when I wake up in the morning I have anxiety attacks.. The feeling flushes through my body.. That fast I can have a flare up from it... I have noticed it gets worse towards menstration. Is this what your feeling..? Have you talked to your dr about it? If you notice alot of us are on a anti-depressant medication.. I use to take it.. I don't anymore.. Its almost 7 yrs.. Iam tired of taking medication.. I want to be able to think.. all those meds just mess up my judgement.. They make me tired and sick to my stomach..
Michelle1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

sixftblnd HB User

Momcat-

I agree w/ Michelle. I think most of us suffer from it. My depression hit about a month into my knee problem. I had never had a problem with my knee at all and all of a sudden my knee and leg are all swelled up and I can hardly walk. I can't go to work. I can't go to the gym. I can't go to my kids functions. I can't clean my house. I am spending every day on my couch. I think that's pretty much the way it goes for most of us. It is a receipe for depression. It's worse for me in fall and winter. The cold makes the pain worse and I am trapped at home. At least in the spring and summer the temps are warmer and I can get outside.

The antidepressants have helped me alot. I also think that once I accepted that this is the way it is and I need to adjust my life to the rsd it did lighten up some. My PM sent me to a chronic pain group therapy which helped alot. Some of them have lived with pain for many years and had lots of ideas for me. With winter comming on, we'll see what happens. Hopefully it won't be so bad this year since I have figured out ways to do lots of things around my house. Staying positive is key!!

Sherry

Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
(female)

momcat4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat4 View Post
Is it common for depression and anxiety/anxiety disorders to be significant issues for someone with RSD? Can they even be more overwelming than the chronic pain at times?
My concern is for my teenage daughter. All of what you are describing sounds familiar. She has seen some improvement in her pain levels, but still struggles with the anxiety and depression. A recent infection, flu, and adverse reaction to a medication appear to have kicked up the problem even more. She also is experiencing some spreading of pain symptoms and now appears to have migranes. She is worse in the morning. She is having trouble sleeping and then is exhausted and wants to sleep all morning. It has really impacted her school attendance. Could this all be connected to the RSD even if her pain level isn't as bad as it used to be?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

Let me just start by saying my heart goes out to you and your daughter..
The answer to your question is yes.. Just because her pain level is down right now.. She's still probably having pain at some level.. She's not sleeping at nite, its just messing her whole system up.. This allows her ammune system to be low. I know when I get sick. Last winter season I had just a low-grade fever. I flared up so bad.. Any type of stress to you body will flare you up...
It has to be so hard for her with school etc.. Most of the older pts who have RSD have ended up leaving work.. Its safe to say that most of us have not returned to work.. Is she missing alot of days? Maybe the school can work with her on this.. Iam just sitting here thinking how hard it must be to still be in school and sit home being in pain while most of your friends are out.. I can see why she's having such anxiety.. plus along with the RSD..
Morning are very tough for me also.. I wake with anxiety. It wakes me up.. Then the wierd sensation goes through my whole body.. I force myself to get up.. just to get rid of that anxiety feeling. Late afternoons into the evening are tough also..
If you don't mind me asking.. Where does your daughter have RSD? How long has she had it? What meds is she taking?
We are here for you.. It must be so hard as mom to watch your daughter go though this. You mentioned the RSD is spreading.. How bad is it? I am sorry if I asked so many questions.. Just trying to get a feel of what your daughter is going through..
We are here for you and your daughter.. Wish you the best..
Michelle1

Closed Thread