It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
(male)

duaneo36 HB User
RSD or Degenerative Disc Disease? Severe burning feet! Newbie

I'm 55 years old male. I started having severe burning in my rt foot in 1999. I had a Mortons neuroma surgery in 2000 which didn't help at all. Then a Tarsel Tunnel surgery done on my rt foot in late 2000 which didn't help. I had 17 injections in 2003 of which most were Posterior Tibal Nerve Block of the Rt foot. This was a mixture of Xylocaine 1%, Marcaine 0.25% and Kenalog 40mg. These were done by a PM doc. He diagnost me with RSD.
I've had 8 Lumbar Epidural Sympathic Blocks in 2007. One with flouro guidance in Dec, 2007. After the 3rd epidural I had complete pain relief for 5 days. After that none of the epidurals have helped at all.
I had an MRI done in Oct 2007.
Impression:
1. Lumbar spine demonstrates degenerative disc disease, worse at L5-S1 level where disc/osteophyte complex results in bilateral recess narrowing as well as severe neural foraminal narrowing.
2. At L4-5, annular disc bulge and facet arthropathy result in bilateral lateral recess narrowing w/ moderate bilateral neural forminal narrowing.
The Orthopedic and Spin Surgery doc's impression was Chronic pain syndrome with failed foot surgery and RSD.
The Neurologist's impression is CRPS. There is no evidence of peripheral neuropathy on neurological examination and two previous lower extremity nerve conduction studies including one done 8-24-06 also showed no evidence of peripheral neuropathy.
Was referred to UCLA PM Doctor Ferrante for Spinal Cord Stimulator trial. He looks at the MRI and thinks I have Lumbasacral Spondylosis.
Now I don't know what to think? I haven't worn socks or shoes for over 2 years because the pain in my foot is almost 24/7. I can't even have a bed sheet touch my foot. I do have burning in the left foot also but not nearly as BAD as the Rt. My feet are extremely COLD most of the time. I have major sleeping problem because of the pain. I take a Lunesta a Soma and a percocet to sleep! I have had lower back trouble for 30 years but the chronic pain is in my feet!
I have tried Cymbalta, Neurontin, Topamax and Lyrica but the side effects are hedious. I'm trying the Lyrica again but only taking two 75mg tablets a day. Last time I went to three tablets I was a zombie.
I'm taking 5 to 6 Percocets a day and it just takes the edge off.
Sorry this thread is so long but wanted to provide as much detail as possible.
So do I have RSD or Lower Spine problem? Apreciate your feedback!!

Last edited by duaneo36; 01-18-2008 at 07:41 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to duaneo36:
kitkat5560 (01-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: RSD or Degenerative Disc Disease? Severe burning feet!!

I have some of the same stuff going on. I have the herniated discs, Degenearative Disc Disease, stenosis and what ever stuff going on in my back due to an injury at work. The surgeon feels surgery won't help. I had an epidural which didn't work. I had torn ligaments and tendons in my wrist, had surgery and now have rsd in the wrist. I also had tarsel tunnel in my ankle but the dr wouldn't operate because of concern of causing the rsd to spread. I get the burning in my feet, the tingling, coldness blah blah. I also have reynauds. I don't take the drugs because I am one who always seems to have the worst side-effects and am scared of drugs. I tend to focus more on magnesium, calcium, vitamin B to help with nerve pain and started taking them. I know I am not really answering your question but look them up to see if you think they might be of some help.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

duaneo36,
Same here I have alot of the same symtoms. I have lumbar and cervical problems.. My RSD started from hernitations to my cervical spine.. My MRI reads alot like yours.. I have the burning in hands and feet.. Alot of discolorations. Mild swelling... Sometimes my hands and feet can be super hot and other times they are really cold. This is how my symtoms started.. As time went on.. I now have it in all four extremities.. My whole body feels like I have the flu.. I also get shooting pain.. feels like someones sticking pins in my hands and feet.. Do you get any other symtoms then the burning?
I wish I had some answers for you.. Its really hard to dx.. Neuro or Pain managements drs are usually the ones who would dx you for RSD.. I forgot, when I first started with RSD , my skin on the palm of my hands would peel just like if you had a bad sunburn.. That went away.. If I were you. I would get a second opinion.. It wouldn't hurt.. My opinion though.. The burning, the sensitivity, thats classic signs of RSD..
Hope this helps some.. Good luck and let us know how your doing
Michelle

The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle94 For This Useful Post:
jihigg (05-15-2011)
Old 01-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Hey mel,

did you notice a big difference when taking these supplements and how long did it take them to work for you and also (If you dont mind) how many Milligrams? I take a one a day supplement now but Im not sure if it has the same amount of what your taking.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I take that Mature Multi vitamin (for us over 50 group)after breakfast, then I take a calcium with vitamin D and a magnesium pill at lunch, I take the calcium, vitamin D and magnesium again after dinner. I have osterporosis also so I have to take the high doses. Several years ago the dr had told me to take magnesium 3 times a day. I think it takes the edge off the burning and that tightness of wanting to jump out of my skin and that feeling of something is going to happen. It certainly helps with the cramping. As far as the dose I think the calcium is 500 and the magnesium is 250 mg. That may be too high a dose for you, so you might want to check with the dr.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jodom1979 HB User

Hey mel,

definately I am going to ask about it. Anything (safely) to make things a little better is always a plus in my book. Thanks for the info I go see my doc here in a couple weeks so im gonna run it by her and see what she says. thanks

Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

I find this interesting, when I was in the hospital for the lidocaine infushion done my DR schwartzman.. That was one of the big things they checked for constantly. was my magnesium.. My bloodwork came back.. Magnesium was low.. They could not start the lidocaine infushion until my levels were up.. Not only that. I couldn't go home until they were up... I just found that interesting and though I would share it with you.
Michelle

Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

This may sound weird too, but have you tried gatoraide? My husband had burning and stiffness in his hands and the rhumotologist told him to drink it and dilute with water if he thought it too sweet.
Off topic but this is a first I have ever seen a tornado warning for south calif!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
(male)

duaneo36 HB User

Thanks for the input. My bloodwork has not shown any vitamin deficency. I do take B12, Multi Vitamin & Minerals every morning. I will add the magnesium. I'm scheduled for a three phase bone scan on Monday and and EMG next month. The UCLA doc thinks all this is from my L5-S1.

Last edited by duaneo36; 01-25-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had a triple phase bone scan and the nerve conduction test on my wrist which is where the rsd is diagnosed and they were normal. I was told the bone scan was accurate 50% of the time. I know my back is messed up with the herniated discs and arthritis but I sure get some strange pains. It is just so hard to tell with rsd, there are so many stages and levels

Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle94 HB User

mel52,
I understand completely about those strange pains.. I have herniations myself.. This is where My RSD originally started.. I couldn't tell whats what either....
AFter 7 yrs of having it.. I think I finally go it down pat.. I can feel when its the herniations now.. I just telling someone that I think I need to go back to therapy for my herniations.. I did notice when thats not taking care of. My RSD flares up more.. I guess cause of the pain from that causes stress....
Michelle

Closed Thread