It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

chicubs HB User
RSD and Social Security

Hi Everyone ~ I just wanted to share some news with you. Last Thursday I received a phone call from our local social security office. They called to tell me that I was approved for social security!! I first applied for social security back in 2005 when I first was diagnosed with RSD. I was denied but never followed through on appealing their decision. I was also receiving a monthly disability check from the state because I was a state employee for 22 years.
In may of this year my doctor told me that I should reapply for social security because my RSD would never get any better, in fact my health would more than likely be getting worse.
So I reapplied. The gentleman from the social security office told me that they decided to use my 2005 application and because they did that I would now be able to have Medicare and their health insurance. They have also decided to use the 2005 application as the starting point for the back pay that I will be receiving!!! I cannot tell you how happy my husband and I are. It is like all our prayers have been answered.
I do know though that none of this would have happened if not for my doctors going to bat for me. So for all of you that are also thinking about applying for social security please make sure that your doctors are on the same page as what you are.
I know there are different types of social security. I do know that I was denied both times for SSI and that was because of our income. I believe that I am receiving SSDI. And normally you need to wait two years after you have been approved before you are able to get their health insurance. But like I said they are going to be using my original application date.
I have not received my paper work from social security yet, but this gentleman from there wanted me to know that I was approved so that I would not worry so much.
As he was talking to me I was crying like a baby. I told him I was sorry about my crying. He told me not to worry, that he realized that this is a emotional and stressful process.
I am so happy that social security now has put RSD on it's list of illnesses that are recognized by them. We deserve to be recognized. So that everyone else knows how much we suffer and how much some of us need help because we are not able to work anymore!
I will pray for all of you that also need help from social security that you too will be approved. Just remember that I really believe that your doctor plays the most important role in your chances for success.
God Bless,
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
(female)

hdladyred HB User
Smile Re: RSD and Social Security

Chris,
God does indeed answer our prayers! I am so happy for you!!! Please, please, please take care of yourself and don't spend that first check all in one place ;-) This is wonderful news and it is so very rewarding to know that another person has been treated well by "the system". I know that you were denied the first time - and that is so sad to hear. I do believe that now that RSD is recognized by social security as long as we have our facts together and our doctors on board with us that the process won't be as difficult as it was in the past. The pioneers who were before us have paved the way for us. I am thankful to them on a regular basis. Once again... I am very happy for you!
CONGRATULATIONS~ Lissa

PS - I'm doing the "happy dance" for you in my mind and heart - my foot's not letting me do it in practice but hey - I'm doing what I can ;-) HOORAY I can't wipe the smile off of my face... this is just wonderful news for you - I so wish we could all get together and have a party for you! The only better news for us all would be remission... and that's next...keep working and praying for it!!!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
(female)

chicubs HB User
Re: RSD and Social Security

Thank you ladyred for such a nice reply!!! I was in-between laughing and crying when I read your post. I loved the part about the "happy dance"!!!! I could actually feel how happy you are for me.
I need to get over feeling guilty about this though. I don't know why I feel like this. But I just want everyone to be as happy and when they're not, well then I feel guilty about telling them how happy I am!!!! I know, I know, I need to get over that. I will try.
Oh great now I am even typing to myself!! Ha! Ha!
You are also right though about the RSD going into remission. That too would be the best. I have never had the RSD go into remission.
Thanks again for the wonderful reply. I will always remember it.
Chris

Closed Thread