It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

wrangler87 HB User
A RSD patient and having NEW surgery Pre-Op & Post-Op Treatments ????

I have full body RSD and am having surgery soon. I have been Looking all over for Pre & Post Operation Guidelines. My Dr. & Anesthes. Don't have any plans for my condition. Kind of a we will see what happens attitude. WORRIED IN SOCAL. Any Help ?? Thank You.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
(male)

lockwood HB User
Re: A RSD patient and having NEW surgery Pre-Op & Post-Op Treatments ????

You certainly need special care you should talk to your pain managment dr. first. this could be very bad. My Dr.used epidurical capetier for my hand surgery that remained in for several days along with other anestetha.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: A RSD patient and having NEW surgery Pre-Op & Post-Op Treatments ????

Hi,

I've had many surgeries while having RSD and with most of them, they left the epidural in for a day or two after the surgery which helped a great deal. Good luck with your surgery.

Sharon

Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

jessemom HB User

I had knee surgery and a morphine pump was placed at the site for about a week after. My knee was my original RSD site and it didn't get any worse. With hand surgery, I had nothing and sure enough, I now have RSD in my hand. Whatever you do, please speak to your doctor about preventive measures. I wouldn't think of having surgery without my PM consulting with the surgeon.

Good luck with you surgery!
Vicki

Old 12-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
(female)

aicirtapo HB User

There is information on the web - One paper by katz says "However, surgery may sometimes be necessary before RSD symptoms resolve; in these cases, use of intra- and postoperative continuous epidural block can be successful. The initial treatment of RSD of short duration should be conservative; physical therapy modalities, including exercise and contrast baths, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are indicated. In the authors' experience, an indwelling epidural block using bupivacaine for several days followed by use of a narcotic agent, combined with functional rehabilitation, is the most effective management when noninvasive treatment has failed." Two doctors with a lot of articles published are Katz and Hungerford. I personally had an office procedure to remove a melanoma from my RSD leg and it caused the RSD pain to increase 10 fold and spread. When they had to operate a second time, my doctor asked I be put into the hospital and given an Epidural. In spite of my doctor ordering this I had to fight with the Anesthesiologist to have it done (in the operating room). I nearly got off the gurney when he said he did not think it necessary. In future i would make sure I speak to the Anthesthesiologist before the surgery and that he agrees to epidural. Not all anthesthesiologists know much about RSD or appreciate the intensity of the pain. My surgery was mor invasive than the first but was not extensive or long so I did not need the drugs after and the RSD pain and the surgery pain were gone for three weeks after. The RSD pain came back but not with the same intensity so it does work.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
(male)

wrangler87 HB User

Thank You All, For the input, I have read so many pages of Documentation on this, however they all are in Doctors terms. I am not an idiot I have lived with this for 13 years. I have not found any info. except for LIMB surgeries, All of the tests have been on extremities - since that's where most of us get CRPS/RSD. I don't KNOW how different a surgery would be on a Belly-Button Hernia ???. I have listened to you ALL. I have an APPT. w/Surgeon on the day before " said surgery ". I have contacted my PM DR. who is out till the 15th. His office said " talk to your Anesthes. " but I don't have one assigned. But the LORD is in charge, and a Ulcer has developed on my shin. Infected and treating it I don't know that the Surgeon will do surgery when he see's this. That may give me the time to get a SPECIALIZED TEAM to work with me.

Thank You All. I will Copy You on this thread. Please let me know if you have any more info. God Bless You All

Old 12-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

aicirtapo HB User

I agree with your doc - find out who your anthes. is going to be and speak to him to be sure you get epidural. My surgeon was standing at the foot of the bed when the Anthes said he did not think epidural necessary and he said nothing as Anthes. is in total charge of this area. The surgeon had copy of Pain Man. doc's letter. Anthes are Gods in the operating room and there was definitely something going on here that I did not understand. I think you should have a plan before you go in and should know your Anthes has agreed. God Bless and have a pain free surgery. Laura.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
(male)

wrangler87 HB User
Thumbs down Re: A RSD patient and having NEW surgery Pre-Op & Post-Op Treatments ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by aicirtapo View Post
I agree with your doc - find out who your anthes. is going to be and speak to him to be sure you get epidural. My surgeon was standing at the foot of the bed when the Anthes said he did not think epidural necessary and he said nothing as Anthes. is in total charge of this area. The surgeon had copy of Pain Man. doc's letter. Anthes are Gods in the operating room and there was definitely something going on here that I did not understand. I think you should have a plan before you go in and should know your Anthes has agreed. God Bless and have a pain free surgery. Laura.
Thanks Laura !. I have been in the E.R. this morning had to get this ulcer taken care of. I have heard of people having these things but never me !.
Well it's pretty bad. I got 2 different antibiotics for it plus a injection or two.
I hope this is the first and last but I thought of something today. I have Stopped taking NEURONTIN @ 3600mg per day. Started LYRICA 75mg twice a day. I think that's what let the CRPS/RSD develop in my leg ???. I will talk to the PM about that. It's too bad though when your PM DR. doesn't have time to talk and only takes messages. That's how my surgeon has behaved. It's like I don't matter they're too busy. That's SOCAL for you. It's always been wait your turn and that will be in a month. I do speak-up then the Nurses make it hard for you. This is Unbelievable !!!!.

The Following User Says Thank You to wrangler87 For This Useful Post:
vlaud (09-28-2011)
Closed Thread