It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
(female)

lindkaye3 HB User
Question Please - need your input-not sure what to think anymore!

Need your ideas please! Have been on and off here - but need your expertise! Background: TKR - 12/07 with immediate problems of more than to be expected swelling and pain - also could not gain more than 85 on flex and 15 on extension after 3 months PT. Closed Manipulation 3/08 - followed by diagnoses of RSD 4/08 by OS and then Pain Management Dr. Open debridement for scar tissue in 11/08 due to knee not extending or flexing even after 5 lumbar blocks followed immediately by PT. Knee swelling did go down in hospital after debridement for 2 weeks - then ballooned up again - no gain on movement and still ongoing pain. This year, I have been diagnosed also with MS and AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis Arthritis) hypothyroidism, and Reflux problems.
Yes - I'm about ready to throw the towel in!! hehe ( I have to laugh or I cry!).
Advisement I need is that I went to another OS (my original OS wants to throw in the towel himself and states there is no more that he can do - I wont accept that). Anyway - just went to another OS and he stated he thinks it is a compressed nerve - not RSD - due to the tourniquet being on too long during the initial TKR. He stated he wants to "freeze" the thigh nerve that runs down the front of thigh to inside of knee and see if this helps - will do it 2-3 times over a period of 4 weeks. Here is the weird part - when I asked what to expect from this freezing, how will it feel - the dr stated he will not tell me what to expect - he wants to see what happens and how I react?? He stated he can tell by the way my pain reacts to the procedure if it is the compressed nerve or RSD. But my point is - the way they are acting makes me feel like they think I am imagining this pain - which believe me I'm not - the sharp, burning pain in 1 spot to the side of my knee - totally different pain than the AS. It feels like a real bad sunburn to touch - leg will change to a redish color around knee and down on calf of leg. I think I have a right to know what I should expect to feel after the procedure - not wait to see if it is the reaction they are waiting for. Has anyone gone thru anything like this before - or had a compressed nerve? Right now I don't think I will proceed with this - it just doesnt set well with me for some reason. I still cannot bend my knee - think the scar tissue is back also. Maybe another dr ?? Not too many Drs want to take on all this from another dr. I am finding out - tough to find a good one. Argh - What do you think?:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread