It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

dazzlynn HB User
2nd post....please help....

Im new to the boards and posted yesterday but have not had a reply yet.

Feb 8th I broke my wrist. march 9th I had surgery as the wrist was not healing. April 8th the cast and pins were removed. I was not progressing well with physio so got sent back to dr. who has diagnosed rsd.

Things in the medical system move so slowly! I am scheduled for a bone scan to confirm diagnosis, on may 3rd. I have te follow up with dr may 10. at which point I expect he will set me up for a nerve block (and that may take weeks).

Do nerve blocks hurt?

In the mean time my pt suggested accupunture, and said she has seen good success using it for rsd. Anyone been treated with accupunture? if so did it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: 2nd post....please help....

Hi Lynn,

Nerve blocks can hurt, but don't have to. It seems a lot of docs now do them with sedation so you wouldn't feel anything. That would be the way to go, IMO. I had mine done without anything. They did hurt, but it was tolerable. You would most likely be having a stellate ganglion block which is one for the upper extremities. I had lumbar blocks for the lower extremities.

As far as acupuncture goes...I wouldn't do it. I think there is too high a possibility for the needles they put in for acupuncture to cause the RSD to worsen or spread. I wouldn't take the risk. From what I've read of other people's experiences with RSD and acupuncture, it doesn't seem like there is a high enough chance of it helping for me to even think about taking the chance.

Good luck.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

harmony85 HB User
Re: 2nd post....please help....

Lynn,

I do agree with sharon. Some times nerve blocks can hurt but they don't have to. I have had 3 of them. Unfortunately they didn't work for me but everyone is different in how their bodies react to treatments. You can always ask before going for the blocks if they will give you something for not just the pain but to keep you relaxed while going through with it. In my case I had them do that. They didn't completely knock me out but enough that I didn't feel anything. Sometimes you can have some stiffness or soreness where they do the block. Most always that gos away with in a matter of a day or two. As for acupuncture,different people handle it differently. In the state I'm in there are some pain clinics that do it for rsd. Some times depending on how sensitive you are to touch it can be a bad thing and isn't always recommended for people who are very sensitive to even the slightest touch.
I hope I've been some help. If you have any other questions or concerns please ask.
Take care and warm,
Deanne

Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
(female)

amandalilly7 HB User

Lynn~
i agree with both the previous posts..nerve blocks can hurt. I can say from my experience that my did, but the doctor i had was not a caring person and i had alot go wrong with mine..i can tell you that for the first three nerve blocks i got some relief!

Ive also done accupuncture, and i loved it. it was a very relaxing experience for me and before the RSD got out of control it did help to manage my pain. The disease now has progressed so much that i cannot do it any more though..

i have been through alot of different treatments and have tried a whole ton of stuff... i recently changed PM doctors and the new man i am seeing is amazing i had the bone scan done( which you should know does not always show signs of RSD, there are alot of od RSDers that dont show signs in a bones scan) and i have an EKG done as well as a nerve test done to conclusivly diagnose the disease, and yes i def have it and its spread. lol

If you have any questions i can try to help.. please anything dont hesitate to ask!

~amanda~

Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
(female)

popstarrdiva HB User

Ok
so welcome. I did acupuncture and it spread from my right to left foot. DO NOT put needles in your rsd area. I now have full body rsd. I would never do acupuncture again just so you know. Also this illness isn't like Ms or cancer where they find things. Maybe get a thermography scan. My whole foot and leg were so cold they didn't show up. Also you need meda asap. Nerve blocks are more scary than actually too painful. I use emla gel a lot to numb things now that i've had this awhile. I don't get blood taken or anything without emla.
Most important right now are blocks, physio and meds.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
(female)

toughkid HB User

Hi Lynn... I have tried acupuncture but NOT in the arm that has the RSD. It gave me temporary relief..sometimes. I have had nerve blocks for over a year and will continue to get them as long as I can. I have tried doing it with sedation but I realized I didn't need it. I recover from the nerve block in a very short time and usually drive myself home.
I'm not saying it's not unnerving (no pun intended!). I do think it makes a big difference if the dr. and staff are supportive and caring.
Best wishes and welcome to the list...Lynne (aka toughkid)

Closed Thread