It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

harmony85 HB User
Dental Work

Hey guys,

I truly hope that everyone out there is battling their rsd with as much positive forces as possible. I have a quick question about dental work.
On my way home from visiting with my family I broke more like shattered one of my back molars. I don't have rsd in my mouth but I have heard of people when getting work done that the pain is worse and can have the rsd spread. I've researched as much as possible and I have found some info about not having it done when your rsd is flared up. Mine isn't right now but I'm concerned about if it will when I go in.
Has anyone had any teeth pulled when flared up,did it hurt more or even travel to the jaw or mouth area. I have really no choice I have to have this tooth pulled before it gets any worse but I just want to know what I may have to look forward to or prepare for.
Also should I make sure to take my meds for my rsd before going, that way everything is already in my system? Any input would be great. Thanks for the posts in advance. I hope that everyone is having a better week than me.lol
Take care and stay warm,
Deanne

Old 05-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: Dental Work

Hi Deanne,

I've had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled with RSD. It was definitely painful..horrible, actually. I would NEVER recommend someone get all 4 done at one time. If I had to do it again, I would do one or two. Anyway, I have NO idea if it hurt more than it would have if I didn't have RSD. I do have pain in my face from time to time, but nothing horrible since it's not constant. That might have come as a result of the extractions, but I don't know. I would say it's not a bad idea to take your meds before you have the work done. Can't hurt, right? Good luck and I hope it's easier than you imagine. Oh yeah...I also had a root canal with RSD and that wasn't bad pain-wise at all.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

harmony85 HB User
Re: Dental Work

Sharon,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been on the boards for a while,just have had a lot on my plate. Anyway thanks for the advice. I don't think i'll have a problem with it but still like to check. I went in and they were going to take the tooth out but after x-rays the doc. noticed that the root never stopped growing and is rapped all over in my sinuses and the sinus cavity. I have an appointment this tues. but not really looking forward to it. I'm hoping that they will knock me out. The doc. is going through my nose and I just really don't want to be awake for that.
I probably won't be on much that day or the next depending on how bad my mouth hurts but I'll try and come on here more. I miss you guys,lol.
I hope things are going better for you.lol How is J.D. I noticed there weren't any posts of his. I sure hope he's ok.
Take care and stay warm,
Deanne

Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Deanne,

Good luck tomorrow.

Things are pretty crazy with me too. When it rains, it pours, you know?

I haven't spoken with J.D. either. I also hope he's alright and hope he comes back here soon.

See you when you feel better. Hopefully it won't be half as bad as you're probably anticipating.

Sharon

Old 05-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

harmony85 HB User

Sharon,

Yes I do know when it rains it pours. That is how I have felt since I came back from florida. If it's not one thing it's another. I hope things let up for you so that you get to relax.
The oral surgery went well. After knocking me out it only took about a half hour to do all the work. The doc said that in a couple weeks once everything is all healed I should be breathing better. I guess that root was so tangled in my sinuses that I was only using 20% of them. It will take a couple weeks for everything to heal but then I should be doing great. The doc was awesome too. He wanted to know more about the rsd and wanted to make sure that my body didn't really feel the bad pain afterwards.He was really understanding about my concerns in the extra pain and how the rsd works. He gave me a couple different things for numbing even though I was being put under and they worked better than just novicaine so by the time the feeling came back the majority of the pain and swelling was gone. I am so pleased with how careful he was not to aggravate anything or any nerves,as little as possible anyway. It did give me a little bit of a black eye because of going through the nose but nothing really bad. My husband just keeps teasing that he'll just tell everyone that he hit me. rofl!!! He's really big and i'm really small. lol
Well just thought I'd let you know how things were going.
Hope you have a good week and that it isn't rainy like where i'm at.
Take care and stay warm,
Deanne

Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Deanne,

I'm glad it's over and you're on the road back. It's great to hear how good your doc was. I love hearing things like that because it seems so rare. I also like how he wanted to learn more. Your educating him will probably help other patients who could have RSD. Good for you! Feel better soon.

Sharon

Old 06-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

harmony85 HB User

Sharon,

Yes slowly but surely I am on the road back to feeling better. My mouth is still hurting but it is getting better everyday. On the plus side I am really starting to notice a difference in my breathing and the way things smell. I didn't realize how much I was missing. lol
I'm glad that the doc was interested in the rsd. And you are so right,most docs don't usually care if they don't think it will do any good. He was very compassionate and I'm sure that he went home that day and read up on it more. It's nice when people in the medical field treat you like you DO know what you are talking about. I wish more were that way.
Hope you had a good memorial day. Mine was good except for all the rain. It was warmer than I would have expected but I totally could have done with out the down pour of rain that wouldn't stop at all,all day.lol
Take care and stay warm,
Deanne

Old 06-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Deanne,

I'm glad you're starting to feel better. I'm also glad to hear you can smell a bit now. It's funny and so true...sometimes, you don't realize you're missing something (you sense of smell) until it comes back.

Sharon

Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

harmony85 HB User

Sharon,

So so true. I didn't realize how bad it really was. I've always had problems with my sinus's and i've been stuffed up for years,I mean years! So it's nice to know that it's not just allergies and other issues I've always thought I've had. My husband has told me that I don't even snore anymore,which is nice that means I'm breathing better at night too. My doc did say it would be like breathing through a whole new nose and it really is starting to feel that way.
Everything has been healing like it should too,which takes some stress off of me. I've heard those horror stories on how people with rsd go in for different issues and wind up getting rsd in those areas. I was worried about it but since that doc was so careful and incredible I think it helped not to irritate things anymore than needed.
Well I'll quit rambling,get some food. I'm back to being able to eat some solid food which is wonderful!! You can't take an Italian women food away for long.
Take care and stay warm,
Deanne

Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Deanne,

That's great news. I'm so happy for you that things are calming down like they should. As you know...you just never know when it comes to someone with RSD. You could go in for something they call "minor" and it could turn into something major with RSD, but other times, things go as planned. I glad it did for you! Enjoy your food .

Sharon

Closed Thread