It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User
spinal cord stimulator trial

Hi everyone, well my insurance company has approved my spinal stimulator,
My Dr. has set the trial period for this tuesday I am very nervous, funny how I am afraid of pain considering how i should be used to it by now, Dr. said I will be asleep but woke up during the placement of the leads, anyone else been through this what is the pain level? Also how is the pain afterwards?
thanks Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
(male)

gncrzy HB User
Re: spinal cord stimulator trial

Did you get your trial and how you doing I also did the trial and I now have the permanent stimulator

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

No, I didnt do the trial, my nerves got the better of me I chickened out, but I went and talked to my Dr. Monday and he eased alot of my fears so it has been rescheduled for this Tuesday. now I am actually looking forward to it. My friend had it done last week also and she is so happy, which has been a big encouragement for me.
kelly

Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
(male)

gncrzy HB User

When I did the trial they did not put me to sleep I was scared but it did not hurt the doc used a lot of numbing meds.Now just to let you know I was to have the trial for A week but it quite working after 3 days the doc told me the electrode went bad.But during the 3 days I did get pain releaf and was able to get a feel of just what this thing would do.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hi gncrzy,
I did the trial surgery yesterday, and i cant believe I was soo scared,I felt no pain, however last night my back was very sore, today it is tender but not as bad, But good news it is relieving my pain yeah!!! I walked barefoot today for the forst time since dec 2009 and felt no pain. I am so excited! I think this is a good fit for me. Im glad I got my fear under control and was able to experience this thank you for telling me your experience.
kelly

Old 11-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
(male)

gncrzy HB User

Hi kellyevans40
I am glad to here that it is helping I don't remember if I told you that I do have the permanent stimulator now I have it on as I type this it feels good.It is taking away a lot of my pain I still have or I guess I should say that I do have some pain in the top of my foot still but nothing like it was. I do have to go back next week and get it adjusted a little more.keep in touch and good luck

Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
(female)

marliz101 HB User

Thanks for the info everyone. The docs want my husband to get a SCS. They said it is his only option at this point. He is 18 months into the RSD dx.

The following user gives a hug of support to marliz101:
kelly4004 (03-05-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
(female)

NCgenie HB User

Hi all,
I am new here but I wanted to give you my experience with the SCS. I had CRPS/RSD in both legs and feet and my PM Dr decided I needed to get the SCS so she set me up with a Dr to do the trial. I went in and had the temp. SCS implanted and I was awake for the whole thing. The only time it hurt was when he kept going off course with the leads he was trying to implant and he kept digging and pushing into my spinal cord instead. When I went home I had severe back pain from the insertion site and from the little plastic piece they use to keep the leads from getting pulled out. I did have relief from my pain in my legs and feet and I was able to walk without my cane & walker for the first time in 6 months however, I had the trial for 10 days and my back pain didn't start to ease up until 2 days before I was scheduled to have it removed.
Once it was removed my back pain came back with a vengeance and after a week of having it removed and my back hurting from my shoulder blades down my PCP diagnosed me with RSD in my back from the SCS trial! I also went for a 2nd opinion to another Dr who had diagnosed me with RSD in the beginning and he also stated I now had RSD from the SCS trial.
I went for my follow up appointment with the Dr who placed the trial in and told him what my PCP had said as well as my ortho and he checked my back and said it wasn't true, that I didn't have RSD in my back even though my back was completely blue, purple, sweaty and shiny. He then proceeded to schedule an appointment with another surgeon to get the perm. SCS implanted even though I was telling him that I would NOT have another surgery and that I did NOT want the perm. SCS.
He then started yelling and screaming at me at that point telling me it was in my best interest and that I had better keep the appointment with the surgeon and get the implant done. Needless to say my husband and I walked out and we have never been back. When I went back to see my PM Dr I told her how the trial went and also that the CRPS had now spread into my back and I would not be getting the SCS implanted. She asked why and when I told her that my PCP and orthopedic surgeon both told me that I had CRPS in my back from the trial she said there was no way that I developed it in my back that fast and that I had better go get the implantation done. When I told her No she also started screaming at me that it was in my best interest, yada yada. Needless to say after getting my refills I left. I went back twice more to see my PM Dr and each time she proceeded to yell at me about the perm. SCS and why I hadn't gotten it as yet. I kept telling her how badly my back and by then my shoulders were hurting and she told me it was all in my head that I didn't have CRPS in my back, yada, yada. Needless to say I walked out of her office and I have never been back. This was a little over a month ago and I start seeing another PM Dr in 2 weeks.
Anyway, my reason for telling you all of this is so that you are aware that you CAN develop CRPS/RSD from going through the SCS trial. So, be aware of your back after the trial and don't jump straight into getting the perm. one implanted at least for a week or 2 afterwards to make sure that your CRPS doesn't spread as mine did!
Gentle hugs to all,
Diane

The following user gives a hug of support to NCgenie:
marliz101 (03-20-2011)
Closed Thread