It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

danjew HB User
RSD and weight loss surgery

I am a 57 year old man that has had RSD for 20 years. Because of the spread from my right arm to my complete right side and with the meds I have taken I have gained a lot of weight. Because of the weight gain I have diabetes, sleep apnea and high blood pressure, plus of course depression. I was wondering if having Lapband surgery could cause the RSD to spread further and maybe to internal organs? Has anyone had this surgery done and/or could you let me have any info that you may have?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

AZ gurlie HB UserAZ gurlie HB User
Re: RSD and weight loss surgery

Hi.

While I am still in the phase of diagnosis...I have had weight loss surgery. I chose the sleeve (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) because of issues many people had with the band. There have been people with issues with the band eroding the stomach, scar tissue, etc. Personally, I did not want anything foreign in my body.

I had my surgery done in November and i have lost 74 lbs since then! I feel so much better...except my feet. but, that is possible crps...

good luck. sorry I can't help you from the crps angle.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-05-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

The following user gives a hug of support to AZ gurlie:
danjew (04-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
(female)

RockSteady5803 HB User

I personally don't see why it would spread to the internal organs, but if you have a PM doctor I would definitely make it a point to ask. I know that any possibility of surgery can be terrifying to those of us with RSD, so it's definitely worth getting all of the info and help you can. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User

I hear rsd spreads to organs on rare ocasions..but i have had rsd for such a short time compared to you nad already it has spread frm one toe ankle and knee to complete lower half(complete) to lft arm and head..it is in my groins and testies as i was actually told tody for sure..so i would see what your other choices are first before you roll the dice..trust me i know how it feels to gain weight ..so far since october i went from a 38 waist to a size 44 and its horrible..I too will start having other health issues if i cannt get this under conrol fast.. good luck sir i will keep oyu in my prayers

The following user gives a hug of support to painman2009:
kelly4004 (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Oh painman I am so sorry to hear that you are confirmed spread, especially in such a delicate place. what did your dr say for treatment? I just hate this disease!! I hope something can be done to give you comfort. I dont think I have ever read anything about someone getting it in their groin and testes. I know you must be really down about this. I am sending you soft hugs and well wishes. I know I have read many of your posts, But my memory is shot (thank you RSD) I know you have children, are you married? I hope you have good support and an understanding caring wife. I didnt mean to hi jack this post but I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and sending good vibes
kelly

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
(male)

danjew HB User

Hey, I really appreciate the input and hate that it has spread and is spreading to other delicate areas. This being my first time posting I didn't want to go into too much detail, but mine to has spread into those delicate areas that you have mentioned or so my urologist says. My cardiologist says that the chest pains I am having are RSD related and I am sure that the pain in my left arm is too. That is one of the reasons I am so concerned about possible internal organ spread. I do appreciate you and hope and sometime things can be better for you.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
(female)

JuJu Burd HB User

DanJew, so sorry to hear of your rsd spread. I too have had significant weight gain, a direct result of depression meds and lack of exercise. My RSD is in my left hand, wrist & arm with severe dystonia of my wrist & fingers. I am researching weight loss surgeries but am obviously concerned about undergoing any surgery. I know that weight loss would help my depression thus keep me in a good frame of mind regarding my RSD. I know it's tough but you are not alone!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

painman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB Userpainman2009 HB User

hey guys.. my knowledge of rsd has grown as my understanding of how it affects different people...yikes describes it best. Surgeries have from what ive seen made RSD worse and spread. Plus lap band surgeries are risky to begin with. I am over weight and have a multitude of issues due to this monster.. Organs can be directly affected by RSD as the sympathetic and para sympathetic are directly linked to our non volentary functions IE. heart, bowels, breathing, and other organ functions. these are part of out fight or flight functions and RSD isKNOWN as the fight or flight disease. so it can be a tragedy
I hope this can help any-one in the future make an better informed decision.. good luck all and be well

Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

JuJu Burd HB User

Thanks for your words of caution. Sometimes I get caught up in forgetting all the implications of RSD & concentrate on only the miserable side effects which are lovely to say the least I am unable to truly exercise, I mean get my heart rate up & sweat so weight loss is a major challenge. I know surgery is not an option but needed to hear it from the RSD posse

Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

dont sell yourself short weight loss is still ml possible. but that requires a significant knowledge of foods, and how to prepare them.. plus the money needed for all the fruits and veggies you will need to eat. I saw in a couple of sites what we are supposed to not eat cheeses, red meats, cakes, dairies, and certain pastas and breads. for the average american this is huge. I mean no ice cream cakes and cookies..chocolate lots of chocolate well dark is good for us but im sure you see the issues involved..its not easy but possible. Dont lose faith im sure if you are determined you will find a way.. as far as cardio..look up the art of mind and body..its a book that teaches you how to meditate and breath to raise heart rate and lowerstress levels thus helping remain healthy heart wise while lowering pain levels.. this i do when i can and it helps. good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to painman2009 For This Useful Post:
JuJu Burd (11-09-2011)
Closed Thread