It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Headaches at base of skull?

Anyone experience this? I've had this for almost 3 weeks now. Every day. I've been popping motrin like candy and it barely touches it. I am going to my chiropractor again today, but could not get in as much as I wanted the past 3 weeks. I did have it before the SCS trial, so it isn't all from that, because I remember mentioning it to the pain pyschologist guy. I never did mention it to my PM dr. because at that point I was getting ready for the trial and then he has been gone the past week.

I am getting concerned with a 3 week long headaches. At first I was't because everyone gets headaches, but 3 weeks? But I already left a message about the increased cramping in my foot/leg with my PM dr. I hate to complain about this too. Maybe I should just wait until Friday's appt. with the neuro?

I also thought maybe it is time just meet back up with my primary care physician because I haven't seen her since March before all this got worse and spread. I'd like to see about getting a more permanent handicap placard with my ankle, the crps and now the SCS and the connective tissue disorder. Most of that is all new info. THen see what she has to say about the headache while I'm there. I don't know.
Where do you get your permanent placards from? Your PCP or a different dr?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Headaches at base of skull?

Went to chiropractor today and still no luck with headache. I'm taking too much motrin because when I scratch my legs I am bruising purple spots. I still have yet to hear back from PM dr. and now it is after 5pm.

*sigh* Maybe I should call PM dr. and let him know and ask if this is something he wants to follow up with or if I should call my primary care dr. to deal with the 3 week long headache that is getting worse.

Still no answer about the cramping either in the legs... That's getting worse as time goes on too.

I hate this. I hate this I hate this. I just want a break from this unrelenting pain for once. Just for once.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay, so pm dr said to talk to pcp about headache. I have appt on Fri. As for the cramping in foot and leg, says SCS should help but to see Pt in meantime. So no big help. I feel stupid for calling and makes me not want to open up and explain pain even more. I guess Fri I will know how long until SCS . But it may take care of pain from cramping, but won't change the cramping and changes in my foot from the cramping.KWIM?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
(female)

mellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB Usermellow HB User

I am sorry about the headaches on top of everything else going on. This may or may not have any connection BUT I will throw it out there for ya. My husband started noticving pain in the same spot you mention when he coughed, sneezed or even laughed. Then it became a real regular pain, headache. He went to PCP and was then sent for a cat scan and an MRI. Since everything looked "normal" they decided it was muscular and gacve him Neurontin to calm the nerves/muscles down. He does however have some wierd European blood disorder that requires him (for right now) to take aspirin daily. Eventually, he will be on blood thinners. His brother had a blood clot at the same time as my husbands headaches, in the same spot (back of neck, base of skull) and almost...well need I say more. It was discovered then about the blood disorder that causes clotting. They had another brother who died at 42 years young one day at work about 5 years prior to these things and they did not do an autopsy, so they assumes he died of a heart attack.

Any how...I would get it looked at. BUT also know that CRPS is known to cause migraines. I was lucky enough to get those and they sometimes last for days at a time.

good luck.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
(female)

JCG1 HB User

I had and get flares of this. I have severe eye pain and rsd in them now probably so I thought maybe it was causing head pain. I went back to my neurologist who did another mri. I was going to suggest that too for you an mri. If it continues you may also want to talk to your doctor about a med like topomax. I have not been on that but I have heard others get benefit from head pain. Hope you also get some answers about the scs

Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I got a shot of toradol last Friday and it cut the pain slightly for a few days, but it is back full force. Went to chiropractor again yesterday and he again said I really need MRI because I've had the c-spine issues for years and never had this type of headache so it doesn't make sense to him. Plus, I have no arm pain like I had when my neck bothered me before.

I go back for a follow up tomorrow with my PCP about the headache. I think they may order an MRI since the headache is now past 4 weeks. It does wrap around and is behind my eyes.

I need to get a scan done soon if they want to do one since I'm having a SCS put in less than 2 weeks now.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
(female)

JCG1 HB User

Have you seen a neurologist? I would ask your doctor about seeing one if not. I hope you can get in for the MRI. It sounds important to have one done before the scs.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, and stupid me forgot to bring up the headache when I saw the neurosurgeon last week for the SCS surgery set up.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Get the pcp to order the MRI. Also maybe they can give you a mother shot and take the script for the pain med this time!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Klana, did the headaches start after your trial stimulator? it could be a spinal fluid leak. ask a doc to check into this. When I had my permanet one put in this happened, fortunately I remember nothing the gave me dilauded (spelling) in my IV and did what they call a blood patch where they took my blood and put it in my epidural space, but if it is a spinal fluid leak they can put you in the hospital and give you a caffiene drip.
kelly

Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

JCG1, Hi I also have RSD in my eyes, I have rsd in my left foot up to my hip, In my right arm and hand in my back from scs implant and my buttcheek where my battery for the scs is implanted, 2 and a half months ago it spread to my eyes, this is the worst pain I have ever had to deal with, when it flares I simply want to rip my eyes out!!! now I have drops for my eyes which helps to keep the flares at a minimum prednizone drops every hour and cyclogel to dilate my pupils twice a day. I had a flare get so bad that it actually scarred my pupil made it shaped like a pupil.
kelly

Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kelly,
No, they started before. I've had the headache about a month now...just about non-stop. I've had a spinal fluid headache before from a spinal tap. OMG was that the worst thing ever! I had a baby, 2 yr old, 4 yr old, 6 yr and my husband was out of town. I was crawling on the floor for 2 days, although it may have been only 24 hrs, until I could get the kids farmed out and someone to take me to get a blood patch..which failed and put me in the hospital! Horror story!

But, I know what that is like, and this is different.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Had my appt. They are going to call to schedule an MRI.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MRI is scheduled for Thurs. What are the chances this is just related to the RSD? I've never had this type of headache before. My primary prescribed Lortabl after the toradal didn't work and we are just wating for MRI an the SCS after that. She thought it might help me sleep and help with my leg too. It helps neither. So that got me thinking... Narcotics never helped the leg pain. That was one of my first clues way back when that something was wrong. It helped the joint pain, but not the burning. Well, it didn't even touch the headache. And then I think of how I had the face, tongue, eyes burning before the headache. But nothing in between my head and leg burns. So that is weird.
I guess I'll find out. Nothing like waiting until just before my SCS date though. I'll get the report probably on Monday and my SCS surgery is Wed.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Any news yet?

Closed Thread