It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

*pamela* HB User
How close together should nerve blocks be?

I had my first Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block on 6/28 and it greatly improved my foot, which has CRPS. My pain decreased, my ROM increased, and within a few days I was walking about with minimal discomfort (as opposed to intense pain).

My question is, how frequently should I be getting these blocks? I've heard of some people getting them close together, and others waiting a fair amount of time in between. Any suggestions/insight?

I am hoping to beat this thing... only 23 and feel I'm responding to treatment, but I feel like I really have to be my own advocate so I want to make educated and informed decisions regarding my care. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 07-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: How close together should nerve blocks be?

I'm sure different docs have different methods, but mine were a week apart. THat is great you had such great response!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Kev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB User

Mine we a week apart, the only trouble was the ones he used had been declared as less effective against RSD than exected especially in males 17 years previously.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
(female)

*pamela* HB User

Thanks for the info! I got it almost two weeks ago and I don't have an appointment with my PM for another 2 weeks. Is there anyone who got them more spread apart, or is a week apart the general standard?

Now I'm concerned...

Last edited by *pamela*; 07-09-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I think the general standard is doing them closer rather than farther apart. My dr. explained that the hope was to do the second one close enough before the symptoms returned too much. Eventually, the idea is to spread them out over weeks, then months, then maybe not ever needing them again.

Maybe the next time your dr. will do them closer together since you had such great results from the first injection? Good luck at your next appt.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
(female)

paininthefoot11 HB Userpaininthefoot11 HB User

I believe how often you get the LSB depends on how you respond to them.

How did you get CRPS? Which foot is it in?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
(female)

*pamela* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paininthefoot11 View Post
I believe how often you get the LSB depends on how you respond to them.
What do you mean? Could you elaborate on this? I responded very well. Hadn't been walking in 4 months, and within a couple of days of the block I was walking around, and even able to go uphill. It was amazing!

Unfortunately after an amazing 3-day stint of being very active, I had my first PT appointment and my PT started jabbing my foot, causing a lot of pain. He totally set me back and I'm still doing much better than before the block, but it was a major set back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paininthefoot11 View Post
How did you get CRPS? Which foot is it in?
I struck my right foot and injured it in March at work, so I'm on WC. Initial xray showed no fracture, but it continued to hurt really badly and I was using crutches. Second xray in May showed no fracture, but MRI showed a stress fracture in my third metatarsal. I had always had swelling, temperature changes (mostly really hot), but eventually I started having intense burning, even more discoloration than before, joint stiffness, very little ROM, increased sweating, really cold, flares that made sleep difficult, had to wear sock to bed because sheets bothered it, etc.

Went back to orthopedist and he said I probably have "mild CRPS." Didn't feel mild to me! (Although I do realize that I'm in the early stages and there are some who have it much worse than me). Ortho perscribed me 100mg Gabapentin 3 times/day and sent me on my way without even an explanation of what CRPS is.

I went home and looked up CRPS and felt like I needed to see an expert to get this thing early. My Ortho always spent like 30 seconds with me and I wanted to get better care. Got a referral to Pain Management from my Primary Care doc, and got my first Lumbar Nerver Block on the day of my first appointment, 6/28. Now I'm not set to see my PM until 7/26, and I'm concerned about that because most people on here seem to have had the blocks closer together. Should I call my PM to inquire about this?

I'm also trying to get into physical therapy with someone who knows what they're doing, as opposed to my first PT who just started jabbing my foot really hard and caused a major flare and the biggest regression since my block. I am just having a lot of trouble finding someone who has experience with CRPS. My PM suggested someone at UCSF (where my PM doc is, too), but they have a month wait!

Does anyone have any tips on how to expedite getting an appointment. I know that early treatment is super important, and these long waits to get appointments are killing me!

Last edited by *pamela*; 07-10-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
(female)

knave HB Userknave HB Userknave HB Userknave HB Userknave HB User

I got my first one on 6/16. It made a major difference with the pain and burning. After about 10 days it started to wear off, and now I am back to pre-block pain. I'm supposed to get another one on Thursday, but have not heard if it has been approved yet. Hopefully they will do more closer together. It was really nice getting the releif, even if it was only for a few days.
Good luck with yours. I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
(female)

*pamela* HB User

Knave -- are you on any medications? Gabapentin has helped me some with the burning and excessive sweating.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Hi lolobi my blocks were always a week apart also
kelly

Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
(female)

*pamela* HB User

Has anyone had the blocks farther apart?

Closed Thread