It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

*pamela* HB User
CRPS in foot - what kind of doctor should I have as my main dr?

New to this whole thing... looking to kick my CRPS and have been responding to treatment so far, but am looking for some advice.

I have CRPS in my right foot from an injury on 3/18 at work. Because it's workman's comp, I have to have a "Primary Treating Physician" (PTP) that's kind of my "gatekeeper" and refers all of my other treatment.

I currently have a Primary Care Doc as my PTP. I like him a lot, but I'm wondering if I should have a Podiatrist be my PTP, as they specialize in feet. I'm also seeing a Pain Management Doc (had my first Lumbar Sympathetic Block on 6/28), and I'll be starting PT soon.

Should I switch over to a Podiatrist as my Primary physician or stay with my Family Doc?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Kev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB UserKev629 HB User
Re: CRPS in foot - what kind of doctor should I have as my main dr?

Pain Management Doc providing he can show you he knows what RSD is and how you should be treated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I agree, a PM dr. My PM dr. is my main dr. over my crps even though my ankle injury and following surgeries contributed to the crps. I will see my ankle dr. still, but my pm dr. will talk with him to help prevent the spread. My PCP is pretty much out of the loop. She knows of it, and keeps up with it, but doesn't really do anything about it. It is way beyond what she can do.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User

I agree with the other comments. I have RSD in my foot as well from an injury / surgery. Initially I was treated by the podiatrist who did my surgery but as that healed, I switched to a Pain Mgmt doctor who is now my primary physician who treats my RSD: nerve block, Rx's, etc. At the end of the day, regardless of what "title" they hold, they need to have GOOD knowledge of RSD and how to treat it and most importantly, you need to trust them and feel comfortable with them.

Best Wishes :-)

Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
(female)

JCG1 HB User

I agree about a pain doctor who deals with RSD a lot. Also it is good to have an internist or general doctor for if you get sick or an infection who knows about RSD as well. I am having sores on my feet from the rsd probably but may be an infection so have to go to a podiatrist but for treating RSD I don't think they are the ones to see in terms of managing the condition.

Closed Thread